Time to undo the New Map experiment

CanUSeeIT

I never signed up to be a beta tester on the website, but more and more it feels like I’m forced into playing with half-baked features the developers start, then abandon. The “updated” logging is one example, where we lost the ability to use formatting, or write a NM log, and no improvement was ever made. But, golly, now it looks more the app.

But this new map is just a joke. 

See those tiny tiny dots in Lake Ontario? I know, you have to look hard. Yeah, that’s not where the caches are. None of the dots on that map are in the right place. The MOST BASIC function of a map is to show where things are.

Until these new “features” can do even the most basic things properly, they should not be deployed to a production system. Please stop making your users part of your experiments unless they agree to do so.

720C68F3-F058-4A62-9B1D-6B40F42EFE6F.png

25 minutes ago, CanUSeeIT said:

Please stop making your users part of your experiments unless they agree to do so.

While I agree in principle, I thought I'd mention that you can opt out of the new map. In the upper right corner, click on "What's this?" and keep going for an opt-out.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
6 hours ago, TriciaG said:

While I agree in principle, I thought I'd mention that you can opt out of the new map. In the upper right corner, click on "What's this?" and keep going for an opt-out.

I've done that. Many times. Sometimes it "sticks" for a few days, sometimes it doesn't do anything. 

6 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

Where are you seeing this? Computer or phone? I don't see caches out in the lake on my computer. Using Firefox.

This screenshot happens to be from my iPad. But it'll do the same thing on any device if you're crazy enough to try to scroll around, resize, or change the map layer. That's especially fun, when you're zoomed-in on an area and want to switch to the satellite view to see if the cache is in a tree, and suddenly the zoom is reset so you're looking at most of the state. 

My point is that there clearly has been little to no testing done. These problems are consistent and repeatable. And to release a low-quality feature like this to your users demonstrates a lack of respect to them.  

I am lucky then. I zoomed up and down on my computer and selected satellite view too and everything remained in its place. However, sometimes the icons disappear and I need to change the magnification to get them back.

I agree, it would be a pain if they appeared in the wrong place. I rarely use an iPad to cache, so don't check it on there. I preload and use a GPS.

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 12:56 PM, CanUSeeIT said:

My point is that there clearly has been little to no testing done. These problems are consistent and repeatable. And to release a low-quality feature like this to your users demonstrates a lack of respect to them.  

Actually, there has been quite a bit of testing done. This new map has been tested by us cachers for a few months now, and many of the bugs that were identified have been dealt with. There are still a number of design issues that need to be addressed, but functionally it seems to be fairly stable for pretty much everyone.

I can't think of why you'd be seeing this kind of behavior on any device, while nobody else has reported the same. Behaviour like that would seem to indicate a problem with the user account, but that doesn't make sense for the kind of issue you're seeing. I'd suggest posting in the relevant Release Notes discussion with details about the devices and browser versions you're using and the steps you take to reproduce the issue.