Research Rewards for Trivia Buffs

T0SHEA

If ever a thread was in search of an Off Topic forum, it may be this one.

Sometimes diligent research will turn up tidbits of totally useless, yet interesting, trivia.

Looking through old newspapers while researching a building in Helena, Montana we stumbled across one of those otherwise useless tidbits.

We all know about Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, but do we know how Sundance got his nickname? For all I know I may be the last person on the face of the earth to have learned this but today I learned how Sundance came by the name, Sundance. Read the following excerpts from an August, 1901 news item about a train robbery pulled near Malta, Montana by Butch, Sundance and the gang.

The robbery was committed by George Parker, (right name), alias George Cassidy, alias "Butch" Cassidy, alias Ingerfield; Harvey Logan, alias Harvey Curry, alias "Kid" Curry; Harry Long[a]baugh, alias "Kid" Long[a]baugh, alias Harry Alanzo.

"Butch" Cassidy is known as a criminal principally in Wyoming, Utah, Idaho, Colorado and Nevada and has served time in the Wyoming state penitentiary at Laramie for grand larceny, but was pardoned January 19,1896.

Harry Long[a]baugh served 18 months in jail at Sundance, Cook county, Wyo. when a boy, for horse stealing.

Keith