My number of finds has been reset to 0 sometime in the last year.

Awesomeperson451

Looking at my account, it says I joined on 9/16/12 and have only ever found 1 cache 5 days ago. This is wrong, of course, as I've probably found like 25 caches or so. I've looked at the pages for caches near my house that I definitely remember finding, and my logs are gone. I'm planning on taking a picture of the logbook for one of these later today to prove what I'm on about.

I don't geocache much, and usually what happens is I get really into it for a few months, then get interested in different hobbies and stop for a year, and then the cycle continues. It's probably repeated like 5 times in the last 6 years. Anyway, that's why I don't know exactly when my find count was reset, but I know it was in the last year.

I've never had enough finds to be proud of, so I don't care about the actual number of finds I've had changing, but what really sucks is the fact that there's now no way to figure out which caches I've already found without accidentally revisiting them.

2 hours ago, Awesomeperson451 said:

Looking at my account, it says I joined on 9/16/12 and have only ever found 1 cache 5 days ago. This is wrong, of course, as I've probably found like 25 caches or so. I've looked at the pages for caches near my house that I definitely remember finding, and my logs are gone. I'm planning on taking a picture of the logbook for one of these later today to prove what I'm on about.

Give an example of one or two caches you've found since 2012, and somebody can probably help figure it out.

Edited by kunarion

Geocaching.com has sent me an email a week since late 2012. I just read through several hundred email subject lines and not a single one was about a log being deleted.

An example of a geocache I know I've found is GC4VTVY, title is "sandy dune". Also I know I posted a DNF log on the cache right next to it, GC4X5RP, AKA " lots-o-swag". I specifically remember these two because I fell down a hill trying to find "lots-o-swag", gave up, then found "sandy dune" in an attempt to heal my bruised ego.

3 hours ago, Awesomeperson451 said:

Looking at my account, it says I joined on 9/16/12 and have only ever found 1 cache 5 days ago. This is wrong, of course, as I've probably found like 25 caches or so. I've looked at the pages for caches near my house that I definitely remember finding, and my logs are gone.

Looked at your "one" find, and your log "Pretty good start for my first cache in a year, and my friend's first cache ever! " kinda shows you've been around a while.

Did you have spacing or something else odd  (a question mark, ampersand,  or similar) in your name at one time ?  

A while back a lot of accounts ended with no finds or hides, simply because they had a space in their name.

- This was during a promotion no less, so a lotta folks were panicking.   :)

Maybe worth a email to HQ's Help Center , just in case.

• Helpful 1
On 3/29/2019 at 11:31 AM, cerberus1 said:

Looked at your "one" find, and your log "Pretty good start for my first cache in a year, and my friend's first cache ever! " kinda shows you've been around a while.

Did you have spacing or something else odd  (a question mark, ampersand,  or similar) in your name at one time ?  

A while back a lot of accounts ended with no finds or hides, simply because they had a space in their name.

- This was during a promotion no less, so a lotta folks were panicking.   :)

Maybe worth a email to HQ's Help Center , just in case.

Now that you mention my find history, this is really odd. The only find in my history is the first one I ever had on this account. I used to have a different account named Pyro451 that I started in 2008, but I lost access to the email it was linked to and forgot the password, so I started this one.

What's really bizarre about my find history is that it doesn't include the cache I found 6 days ago, from which I received a trackable. You can see the trackable page here: [tracking code removed by moderator]

The latest log is from me. The only thing that has changed with my account in the last week is the fact that I upgraded to premium last night. Is it possible that upgrading my account reset everything but my inventory?

P.S. I've never had a space or any other weird character in my name.

Edited by Keystone

On 3/29/2019 at 11:58 AM, Awesomeperson451 said:

Now that you mention my find history, this is really odd. The only find in my history is the first one I ever had on this account. I used to have a different account named Pyro451 that I started in 2008, but I lost access to the email it was linked to and forgot the password, so I started this one.

What's really bizarre about my find history is that it doesn't include the cache I found 6 days ago, from which I received a trackable. You can see the trackable page here: [tracking code removed by moderator]

The latest log is from me. The only thing that has changed with my account in the last week is the fact that I upgraded to premium last night. Is it possible that upgrading my account reset everything but my inventory?

P.S. I've never had a space or any other weird character in my name.

I scrolled through the two caches you mentioned, and nothing stands out.  I also noticed that same TB you retrieved from a cache that has no Found It log on the date you retrieved it.  https://coord.info/GC6W5RV

You must ask the Help Center as mentioned.  Something about your member profile seems to have changed things.  Yeah, maybe related to upgrading to Premium.  Except that it didn't affect that TB, nor the Find from 2012.  So I'm still mystified.

Edited by Keystone
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Awesomeperson451 said:

An example of a geocache I know I've found is GC4VTVY, title is "sandy dune".

No logs have ever been deleted from that cache page.

Also I know I posted a DNF log on the cache right next to it, GC4X5RP, AKA " lots-o-swag".

No logs have ever been deleted from that cache page.

Edited by Keystone
  • Helpful 2
57 minutes ago, niraD said:

Did you upgrade your phone recently? Could this be a case of caches being marked Found with a smartphone app, but not actually being logged online?

Yeah, grasping at straws here...

Maybe seven years of unsent "Field Notes" (Drafts)?  But you only get that feature while PM.

I can't tell what may have gone wrong.  But I also don't pay enough attention to my own logs to immediately know if or when 25 "Finds" vanish, nor which ones they may be. This thread did remind me to go start a new My Finds Pocket Query.  So that's a good thing.  :P

Edited by kunarion
3 hours ago, niraD said:

Did you upgrade your phone recently? Could this be a case of caches being marked Found with a smartphone app, but not actually being logged online?

Yeah, grasping at straws here...

That's what I thought of too. It sounds like the logs never actually made it to the site.

@Awesomeperson451: How have you been finding the caches? Have you been using a phone app, a handheld GPS, or some other method? When you logged, was it through an app, third-party software, or the website?

I just thought of this, the only other thing that changed in the last two days is the fact that I stopped using c:geo and started using the official geocaching app. I've been using c:geo as my only geocaching app for the entire time I've been geocaching and only switched to the official app because there was no option to upgrade my account in c:geo. You don't think c:geo could have screwed me over here, do you? I'll go check if my logs show up in there.

c:geo has 2 caches in my history, the one from 2012 and the one from 6 days ago, and it saved the log I posted to that one. c:geo isn't showing the 4 new finds I logged today, nor is it showing the fact that the geocoin I picked up and put in a cache today has left the New Jersey cache I found it in. Looks like it's more than likely c:geo's fault.

BTW, and the rest of this post is kind of off topic, but here's the log I tried to post 6 days ago, just putting it here because it's kind of weird:

"Found it, cache is in good condition. Took the trackable, seeing as how I'm driving 1200 miles over the next two days I thought it would be appropriate. Left the only thing in my pocket, a strip of nicorette gum, may some smoker in need find it some day. Also found a mystery USB drive on top of a pay phone, but that's not really related."

In case you're wondering, I almost immediately regretted putting all of the Nicorette gum in my pocket into a geocache, as I wasn't going to return home for hours and really needed nicotine for the rest of the day. Also, I fixed the USB stick; it turned out to be some type of prototype power supply someone smashed with a hammer, probably because it's not patented.