eTrex30 map details on Basecamp question

I have a map installed on my eTrex 30 on the microcard.  If I open Basecamp with my GPS connected to the PC I can open the map and see the street level detail.  But when I disconnect the GPS and look at the same map on the GPS it does not so any detail.  I've tried disabling the other maps on the GPS and just having the one enabled - same problem.  Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, geospyder said:

I have a map installed on my eTrex 30 on the microcard.  If I open Basecamp with my GPS connected to the PC I can open the map and see the street level detail.  But when I disconnect the GPS and look at the same map on the GPS it does not so any detail.  I've tried disabling the other maps on the GPS and just having the one enabled - same problem.  Any suggestions?

Do you have (on the eTrex) Setup > Map > Advanced Setup > Detail = Most ?

See GPSrChive > eTrex x0 > Function > eTrex 30 > Pages > Setup > Map

Edited by Atlas Cached
1 hour ago, chuck4564 said:

Was the latest version of Basecamp/Map Install used to write the map to the microSD? If so, that's a problem.  The latest software version has a bug(s) that tends to produce faulty map displays. Better revert back to an older version of the software. 

BaseCamp is reading the same map file as the GPSr. If it was written poorly. Both would display the same problem.

I currently have seven maps on my GPS.  They all are gmapsupp.img from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/.  These maps are the full North America and full Europe that I keep on the GPS at all times.  The other five are for a trip I'm taking next month.  Botswana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Jordan and the islands off the east coat of Africa.  Going about the "problem" logically I noticed I was concentrating on three that were having the problem of the details (roads, trails, etc.) not showing up on the GPS but yet showing up on Base Camp.  I discovered that four of the seven work with no problem!  After thinking it through last night I think that the problem may be that the three that are not working - Botswana, Zimbabwe and South Africa are over lapping.  I'll try later today removing all versions of those maps from the PC and the GPS, just loading a new version of one to the GPS and see if it works.  Thanks for chiming in.  I'll update the status later today.

Overlaps shouldn't be an issue. One map will draw over the others, and since the openstreetmap creates maps from square tiles, there's no blank map at the edges to cover up anything underneath.

I think I might know what your issue is. By having all of the US and all of Europe, you may have reached the 4000 map tile limit when adding your africa and middle east maps. On the Garmin GPS, it's not about how many map tiles are active, but how many you have installed in total, as even though a map is inactive, you can still search POI's associated with invisible maps.

The other issue that hopefully isn't causing problems is that all of the maps from garmin.openstreetmap.nl are created with the same metadata - same map name, same draw order, etc. The device may have trouble distinguishing two maps of the same name and only draw one and not the others. I know that's been a problem when using the installable files and installing them locally to MapManager/Basecamp. That's not a problem with the OSM maps downloaded from extract.bbbike.org.

3 hours ago, geospyder said:

I currently have seven maps on my GPS.  They all are gmapsupp.img from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/.  These maps are the full North America and full Europe that I keep on the GPS at all times.  The other five are for a trip I'm taking next month.  Botswana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Jordan and the islands off the east coat of Africa.  Going about the "problem" logically I noticed I was concentrating on three that were having the problem of the details (roads, trails, etc.) not showing up on the GPS but yet showing up on Base Camp.  I discovered that four of the seven work with no problem!  After thinking it through last night I think that the problem may be that the three that are not working - Botswana, Zimbabwe and South Africa are over lapping.  I'll try later today removing all versions of those maps from the PC and the GPS, just loading a new version of one to the GPS and see if it works.  Thanks for chiming in.  I'll update the status later today.

I feel very confident this is your issue:

2 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

I think I might know what your issue is. By having all of the US and all of Europe, you may have reached the 4000 map tile limit when adding your africa and middle east maps. On the Garmin GPS, it's not about how many map tiles are active, but how many you have installed in total, as even though a map is inactive, you can still search POI's associated with invisible maps.

The other issue that hopefully isn't causing problems is that all of the maps from garmin.openstreetmap.nl are created with the same metadata - same map name, same draw order, etc. The device may have trouble distinguishing two maps of the same name and only draw one and not the others. I know that's been a problem when using the installable files and installing them locally to MapManager/Basecamp. That's not a problem with the OSM maps downloaded from extract.bbbike.org.

Download, install and run JaVaWa Device Manager from the Software page and let it analyze your eTrex 30 and maps etc. It will alert you to any issues present!

OK - update.  I removed all maps from my GPS.  Also removed the corresponding gmapsupp.img from the PC.  Blank slate.  Downloaded the specific city in Zimbabwe - one segment.  Move it to the GPS.  Removed if from the PC including the download folder.  Connected GPS to PC, ran Basecamp - all the roads, trails, etc. show.  Disconnected the GPS - none of the roads, trails, etc. show on the GPS.  It has to have something to do with the maps.  I did the same for two random cities - Buenos Aires and Mumbai.  They worked great.  Just doesn't like Africa :-)  Any clues

12 minutes ago, geospyder said:

OK - update.  I removed all maps from my GPS.  Also removed the corresponding gmapsupp.img from the PC.  Blank slate.  Downloaded the specific city in Zimbabwe - one segment.  Move it to the GPS.  Removed if from the PC including the download folder.  Connected GPS to PC, ran Basecamp - all the roads, trails, etc. show.  Disconnected the GPS - none of the roads, trails, etc. show on the GPS.  It has to have something to do with the maps.  I did the same for two random cities - Buenos Aires and Mumbai.  They worked great.  Just doesn't like Africa :-)  Any clues

PM sent.