Change Cache names

Yes for the name change, and maybe for causing problems with other cachers.  I'll wager that there are some using the current cache name as a qualifier for a Challenge cache.

Why not archive the cache, and place a new one with the new name.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, K13 said:

Yes for the name change, and maybe for causing problems with other cachers.  I'll wager that there are some using the current cache name as a qualifier for a Challenge cache.

Why not archive the cache, and place a new one with the new name.

Or leave the cache and place a new one somewhere with the desired name.

Out of idle curiosity, why do you want to change the name?

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, K13 said:

Yep. There might be people using the current cache name to qualify for a challenge cache. Such challenge caches can no longer be created, but there are some grandfathered challenge caches that still use the cache name for the challenge criteria.

In addition, people who have found it might look through their geocaching history and not recognize the new name. If you do change its name, then it would be good to include a reference to the old name somewhere, just to help avoid confusion.

2 hours ago, GEO COWBOYS said:

Is it ok to change the name of a cache that has been going since 08/04/2011? Or would it cause problems with people that has already logged it?

Sure.  The only thing you can't change is the cache type.  

You adopted it though.  We know many who change containers and such when they adopt, but you want to change the name too ? 

-  Maybe it'd be better to archive n start from scratch, or add "your" version close by.  :)

It's possible that someone may have your cache name for a challenge.   Odds are no.   Anyone mention it in a log ?

Otherwise, unless they favorited it, how many really go back to see what caches they did and remember them all by name ? 

7 hours ago, niraD said:

In addition, people who have found it might look through their geocaching history and not recognize the new name. If you do change its name, then it would be good to include a reference to the old name somewhere, just to help avoid confusion.

^This

while I wouldn't bother *at all* reasonably adjusting whatever detail of *my* cache used by someone else to construct his or her side game. Yes I'm prepared getting objections calling Challenge Caches a side game :ph34r:

8 minutes ago, Hynz said:

^This

while I wouldn't bother *at all* reasonably adjusting whatever detail of *my* cache used by someone else to construct his or her side game. Yes I'm prepared getting objections calling Challenge Caches a side game :ph34r:

Not from me.

To me, the name of the cache should reflect the current state of the cache.  For example, a cache on a log over a river probably shouldn't be called "River Crossing" if the log is washed out in a flood.  I suppose a CO could accommodate those that play that side game by changing it to "River Crossing: No More"  but the way I see it, if someone chooses to play that game then they should do so with the expectation that things like the cache name, difficulty, or other attributes related to the cache may change and maybe it might be a good idea to double up on some criteria.  At the end of the day, it's the COs cache.  They can call it whatever they want.

• Upvote 3
4 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Not from me.

To me, the name of the cache should reflect the current state of the cache.  For example, a cache on a log over a river probably shouldn't be called "River Crossing" if the log is washed out in a flood.  I suppose a CO could accommodate those that play that side game by changing it to "River Crossing: No More"  but the way I see it, if someone chooses to play that game then they should do so with the expectation that things like the cache name, difficulty, or other attributes related to the cache may change and maybe it might be a good idea to double up on some criteria.  At the end of the day, it's the COs cache.  They can call it whatever they want.

Of course they can. But, if (speculation at this point) it is a cache they adopted, why adopt it if you intend to change something as fundamental as the name? I have adopted several caches and I try to keep them as close to the original CO's intent as possible. One of them DID wash away. Since the original intent was no longer reproducible I archived it.

40 minutes ago, Michaelcycle said:

Of course they can. But, if (speculation at this point) it is a cache they adopted, why adopt it if you intend to change something as fundamental as the name? I have adopted several caches and I try to keep them as close to the original CO's intent as possible. One of them DID wash away. Since the original intent was no longer reproducible I archived it.

I've adopted one that sits between a couple of my other caches in a small numbered circuit.  All of the caches (i.e. my original series and the adopted one) have been around for a similar amount of time, and most people find them (or search for them!) all at the same time, so the adopted one has effectively been part of the series since it was placed.  I haven't got round to it yet, but I was planning on changing its name to include it into the series officially.  I might keep its old name as part of the new name.

Obviously, there's no real need to do this (I adopted it almost a year ago, so there's certainly no urgency on my part!), but equally, I don't see why I should archive it just to give it a new name.

20 minutes ago, IceColdUK said:

I haven't got round to it yet, but I was planning on changing its name to include it into the series officially.  I might keep its old name as part of the new name.

Adding a series label to an existing name makes sense. That both preserves the original cache identity and identifies it as part of the series to which it was added later (like what would have happened if Raiders of the Lost Ark were renamed Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark once the sequels came out). Or maybe the original name could become the name of the series, and the cache needs something added to it to distinguish it from other members of the series (like the way Star Wars was renamed Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope).

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, captnemo said:

I have a cache that I changed the name as the location had changed it's name.  It was Newberry Senior Center it's now Newberry family/ Senior Center.

I have one I changed the name on. The road I had named it for (the exit on the highway) changed its name, so the name of the cache had to change, too. :)

• Helpful 1