Phone App and Chirps

swanli4

Hello! We are new to geocaching (thank you Girl Scouts!), and for now we are good with using the geocaching.com app on my phone (iPhone X). There are a series of caches in our town, my girls are having a great time trying to find them. One of the series is a bonus cache that requires you to be in a certain area and you will receive the coordinates for the cache, or rather a chirp. So, is this is something that we are capable of finding with my phone, or is this strictly a GPS device enabled thing? And can you explain Chirps to me a little more? Thank you!

I had this conversation with some friends a while back so this may have changed.  Many Android mobile devices support ANT+ natively but Apple products do not. Or they didn't.  On my Galaxy I simply need an App.  In your case, you probably need to buy a ANT+ dongle.  The one I see mentioned the most for Apple products is the Wahoo ANT+ Key. I think the dongle cost around $70 which is cheaper than buying a Chirp enabled GPS. The ANT+ technology is used with many other things outside Geocaching so do some research on the Dongle required for your specific phone. This is the first link I came across.  https://help.elitehrv.com/article/64-ant-for-iphone-and-ipad