Portland Geocaching

DenaliNW

About a year ago (when the famous Moun10bike and Seth! were coming to town), oregone had a great idea about putting together a welcome to Portland cache that would have maps, lodging and dining info, and suggestions on local cache favorites available for visitors to our city. Some practicalities got in the way of placing it, but conversation also veered into suggestions of putting together a welcome to Portland geocaching page - something that I have off and on been encouraging and vaguely referring to as in the works for at least a year.

Well, most of the work is done, and I hope that this will get the ball rolling. www.pdxgeocaching.com is that welcome to Portland type site.

It has been fun working on this. I've increased my html skills (really just a hobby), taught myself a little php and mysql, and stayed up way to late, to many nights out of the week (like I used to do when I first started caching).

Anyway, take a look, offer suggestions, send your negative criticism elsewhere (constructive criticism is greatly appreciated), and cast a few votes for your favorite caches. I plan to add a regional forum sometime in the next week (I mean we Portland people really do dominate the NW forum), and somewhere down the road expand the cache lists to include stuff in the gorge. I hope to keep up on upcoming events so that they can be easily referenced (need to add something about a nipple), and I'm sure there is more to come.

A HUGE thanks to fractal for his help with the graphics, bazzle for his encouragement with the programming side, and oregone for his input on the pubs - the guy is like one of those travel book editors, but different.

"Where shall the world be found, where will the word resound? Not here, there is not enough silence." - T.S. Eliot

quote:
noticed the eastside and westside labels are reversed

DOH! You are right! What a stupid mistake, but easily fixed.

Thanks.

"Where shall the world be found, where will the word resound? Not here, there is not enough silence." - T.S. Eliot

Hey great looking site and logo! I like the blend of hte greens...easy reading.

I'd like to make suggestions regarding initial cache page and the actual cache list page.

First off, eventually you will have lots of eastside and westside caches. This will make the table too long. You would have to scroll way down or up for the other side.

How about separating the sides into their own pages. Ok, now let's go back to the first cache page.

It might be nice to provide west and east side links to each cache category if you implement my suggestion above. At least provide link of some sort next to the categories. I had immediately tried to see if the categories were links themselves.

e.g. . Don't Miss [westside] [eastside]

* brackets denote links. This way the user can immediately go to his/her preferred side of the state and cache category.

Way it is now, the link is at the far lower, right corner...not exactly visible.

quote:
First off, eventually you will have lots of eastside and westside caches. This will make the table too long. You would have to scroll way down or up for the other side

For right now the table is set up to only display the top two vote getters in each category. I have thought that this number is too small, but at the same time didn't feel that an exhaustive list was totally necessary for a visitor or a new player. They are only going to have time for so many caches, or may want to do the "best" before deciding they want to become seriously addicted. I was going to create another table that listed all the votes made for those interested, but was wrestling through somme of the problems that you are noting.

I like your suggestions though, and may incorporate them into that "exhaustive" table.

quote:
What no KiwiMonster cache's listed

None selected yet by other cachers, though I'm positive they will be. Maybe you can choose the first.

quote:
Originally posted by Navdog:

Great job Denali! Is there a logo button I can add to my Urban Cache pages?

Soon I hope . . . One of those things on my list of to do's - which kept getting longer today. icon_smile.gif I'm dinking around with it, but don't feel as if I have the eye for graphics that some have. Others are taking a stab at this as well, which may mean we can offer up a couple of options.

quote:
Originally posted by YankeeRage:

What no KiwiMonster cache's listed.

(maybe haven't found one of those puzzle based ones)

"I conquered a Kiwimonster puzzle,

and all I got was this lousy spoon!" - Team Joyson

Wow... I feel special! People are actually referencing us from other posts!

Great job so far on the website Denali. We're looking forward to see what it turns into. Sounds like you've got a great team of people working on it!

"And then Trogdor smote the Kerrek, and all was laid to burnination."

Excellent site........fabulous job. One thing I would like to comment on though. The first cache is quite a distance away from Boring, OR. The closest town to it is Redland.

There is only one active cache in Boring, which is mine.......there have only been two caches in Boring all together that I even know of. One was plundered and was never replaced. I think it was Herboso's? Matt and Lauras now archived Springwater Trail Bonus used to be real close to Boring also.

But wow that site is awesome.

Great job Denali.

Put together a forum button for the portland webpage. It's mostly just a test, pending Jeremy's ok for using elements of the geocaching logo.

Looks cool though. icon_cool.gif

But that's Navdog's doing.

pdx-button3.jpg

I must say that I think that what all of you have done to make that site is AWESOME. But I think my fav is the button. I have been reading and checking out the site as it gets more and more updated but this one is my fav addition. Kudos to all of you. It takes alot of time and patience to make something like this. Fantastic!

Take time out of your day to love yourself.

More Stuff!!

Maybe because it's just to hot outside to go caching.

Maybe because I prefer caching out of the city limits.

Or maybe because I'm slightly obsessive.

Anyway, you can now vote on caches in the gorge and around Mt. Hood (my favorite places to cache). So, log on and add your choices so others might benefit from your wisdom, insights and experiences.

pdx-button3.jpg