Next cache button

10 hours ago, Tikka-et-Co said:

Hopefully, this is a new valid topic: I was thinking that a "Next Closest Cache" button would be a nice feature when doing multiple caches in a certain area after logging a cache.

Does anybody else think this would be a good idea?

Garmin handheld GPSrs have such a button, but it isn't useful very often. Unless you're working on a fairly linear string of caches with no other caches off to the side, the next closest is often not the one that it would make sense to find next due to the trail network, road network, terrain (e.g. rivers or mountains), where you parked, and many other factors.

I use the Android app on my phone, and simply eye-balling what's nearby, then looking at the satellite or street maps helps us decide where to go next.  "Closest" as the crow flies may not necessarily be the "closest" or logical one to go after next.  I can SEE those that are nearby.

My son uses that button on his handheld when on a trail, but I don't see any advantage other than it's preloaded when he goes to log it as found, then hit next closest when on a trail.

• Upvote 1
On 3/25/2019 at 9:41 PM, The A-Team said:

Garmin handheld GPSrs have such a button, but it isn't useful very often. Unless you're working on a fairly linear string of caches with no other caches off to the side, the next closest is often not the one that it would make sense to find next due to the trail network, road network, terrain (e.g. rivers or mountains), where you parked, and many other factors.

Yes, my Garmin Montana has that feature, which I used to use quite a bit when I am in a new area... It's however more convenient to geocache with a smartphone nowadays, so the Garmin seems to stay more and more at home (at least for geocaching) :-)