gadget cast list?

22 minutes ago, arisoft said:

If a cache description does not mention anything about the cadget nature of the cache, putting a such cache in a public list without consent with the CO could be one kind of spoiling which is not allowed here.

If a spoiling list does exist, is it not possible for CO to stop it showing in their cache description page?

EDIT: Looks to me it's not possible...

Edited by papu66
48 minutes ago, arisoft said:

Not possible without asking the owner of the bookmark list to remove it or appeal to HQ if the owner is not responding.

And if the list owner says no? I had a brief look and did not see anything in the instructions about asking COs permission to add a cache to your public list.

So, if OP wants to make such list, I don't see any problem with that.  

However, I agree that making a world wide list of gadget caches would serve no other purpose than spoiling said caches.

Edited by papu66
2 hours ago, papu66 said:

I had a brief look and did not see anything in the instructions about asking COs permission to add a cache to your public list.

TERMS OF USE AGREEMENT

Use of Our Services

Restrictions. Permission to use our services is subject to the following restrictions. Whether these restrictions have been violated shall be determined in our sole discretion. You agree not to:

Publish on our websites the solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache without consent from the geocache owner.

Here it is, if a published bookmark list gives a hint or a spoiler, it is under this regulation.

19 hours ago, papu66 said:

And if the list owner says no? I had a brief look and did not see anything in the instructions about asking COs permission to add a cache to your public list.

So, if OP wants to make such list, I don't see any problem with that.  

However, I agree that making a world wide list of gadget caches would serve no other purpose than spoiling said caches.

How is a list of caches spoiling anything?  If I tell you that most caches by MrGadget2 are gadget caches (he's well known for them) how is that spoiling those caches?

43 minutes ago, The Jester said:

How is a list of caches spoiling anything?  If I tell you that most caches by MrGadget2 are gadget caches (he's well known for them) how is that spoiling those caches?

I have never seen a gadget cache where the CO did not say so openly in the description, but I can imagine in some cases figuring out there is a gadget may be essential part of solving a mystery.

In general, public lists named like "reflector caches" or "what3word-caches" might be considered spoiling if they appeared in cache descriptions and I was curious how CO could respond to such spoilers. But that is of course bit off topic.

• Upvote 1
38 minutes ago, papu66 said:

I have never seen a gadget cache where the CO did not say so openly in the description, but I can imagine in some cases figuring out there is a gadget may be essential part of solving a mystery.

One of mine could probably be considered a gadget cache, as it has battery-powered special effects that are triggered by an approaching seeker. There's no mystery to solve, but it's a surprise element I'd like to keep that way for those attempting it. It's a double-edged sword, though, as since nobody knows to expect it, nobody's bothering to hike out there to find it.

There is no concise way to find just gadget caches. As mentioned above, some have the word Gadget in the name. Some will have the Field Puzzle attribute. Others may be defined some other way.

Crowd sourcing a list is another, albeit slow, way to get such as list. Doing a list will require a list maintainer. You can post (and re-post) on the forums that you are trying to maintain such as list, post a link to the list, and ask people to help you keep it up to date. You would probably also want people to e-mail you their contributions, rather than post them to the forum (I'm going to break my rule, and send you three below.) However, trying to publish that list directly on the forum is counter productive, as you cannot see the status, direction and distance of the cache like you can on a bookmark list. There are other advantages to using a bookmark list.

Here are some in WA state, USA, created by MrGadget2:

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4BE6R_wastatepks100-squilchuck

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4BE6E_wastatepks100-wenatchee-confluence

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4BE63_wastatepks100-potholes