Editing New Cache Description

marshajean

I am trying to submit a new geocache.  When I first started entering the cache description, it gave me an interface to work with, similar to what I am seeing as I post this...I can click on bold, or underline, various formatting tools.  I needed to stop, so I saved and exited.  When I came back to edit the description, there is just a box there, which I can work with, but I have no means to format my text.  Anyone know how I can get this back?  I do not want to do HTML.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, barefootjeff said:

Don't give up. There's a handy summary in the Help Centre on this page, but the main ones to remember are paragraphs start with <p> and end with </p>, bold text appears between a <b> and a </b> and italic text appears between <i> and </i>.

And keep in mind that some people won't see your pretty formatting because they use devices that don't support it. So it's best if your cache description still makes sense without it.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Lynx Humble said:

I found it strange that you have to use html to edit a cache. Groundspeak is unable to fix that issue? 

It is complicated. Editor would break many cache descriptions if used for HTML not made originally by the editor. For example mystery caches with hints in the source code would be rendered unsolvable state. It would be best if the CO can always choose between editor and HTML.

17 hours ago, marshajean said:

Thanks, folks, for all your encouragement!  I was able to successfully figure out enough HTML to be comfortable with my cache page.  I submitted it to my reviewer, and hopefully will pass muster!  I truly appreciate all the quick responses!

If you're beginning to become comfortable with HTML, consider using a HTML editor that provides a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) interface and also allows "saving" the HTML.  That'll allow you to edit descriptions of caches pages "offline" after initially creating the cache page, then copy-n-paste the raw HTML onto the cache page.

As niraD suggests, don't use HTML just because you can.  While it might look find in a web browser on the web site or mobile phone, many still use handheld GPS devices that don't handle HTML very well.

• Upvote 1