Can I place a cache on a bridge

Sashaz55

From relevant section of the the Help Center (Guidelines):

Choose an appropriate location

Make sure your location is appropriate. Avoid areas where your cache may be mistaken for a bomb, like a bridge or airport. Avoid areas near schools or playgrounds, where cache hunting behavior may worry parents or school staff.

I have found caches on/under pedestrian bridges in parks or along pedestrian walkways, but they are not allowed on highway or railroad bridges.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Sashaz55 said:

So I was wondering if I could place a cache on a drawbridge that doesn’t move  any more so it is just a regular old bridge I was wondering if there are any restrictions for caches on bridges!

Drawbridges and locks here are usually owned by someone.  Many now belong to historical societies or part of a park.

- You'd need to get permission like any other cache.   :)

All we've found were presented near drawbridges and locks, not on them.  The cache was to show the area, not have you access it.

We have a sorta long-time cache under a footbridge, and have found dozens similar on /under.  Still needed permission, but a big difference.

17 hours ago, K13 said:

Does the bridge still carry traffic or trains?

It has traffic on it and it’s over a canal Called the Gowanus Canal the waterway is never used for boats anymore because the river is so dirty I was thinking of hiding a micro cache with a magnet beacause the bridge is magnetic

8 minutes ago, Sashaz55 said:

It has traffic on it and it’s over a canal Called the Gowanus Canal the waterway is never used for boats anymore because the river is so dirty I was thinking of hiding a micro cache with a magnet beacause the bridge is magnetic

Ahhh, the Gowanus Canal.

Where the water flows both ways in pretty colors and the fish have three eyes.

Once classified as the absolutely most polluted waterway in the USA, it was dug out and designed so the manufacturing district at the western end of Brooklyn could have an easy way to dispose of industrial waste; flushed right out just south of the Buttermilk Channel with the rising and falling tide. Supposedly, the outgoing tide would then take everything south, out of New York Harbor through the Narrows.

I hear it's quite a bit nicer now than it was when I was a kid in Brooklyn.

I think a cache there with some historical perspective would be very nice! Good luck with it, but pay attention to what everyone has been saying here; a cache on a bridge, especially in NYC, is not necessarily a good idea. NEARBY, yes.

• Helpful 1

I've found a number of caches placed ON bridges, both pedestrian and traffic. They were hidden years ago. 

A couple years ago I wanted to hide a cache on a pedestrian bridge but the reviewer, after considering and conversing with other reviewers, did not agree on publishing it, asking if I could move the cache off the bridge because "the potential for problems is too great". I moved it - problem solved. :) 

• Upvote 2
Just now, Sashaz55 said:

I was thinking of putting it on this handrail just off the bridge that the ground is still concrete and not yet on the bridge would this be ok? This is the spot

DB51A192-6BF7-431E-A72F-784383FF1847.jpeg

It may depend on your container. The real answer will come from your Reviewer. Send this photo with your cache page submission, and see what happens.

Good luck.

Just now, NanCycle said:

Looks like a good place to have it dropped into the water.

Yes, whenever you hide a cache above water or a long drop, you need to think about clumsy finders. A container can be tethered either by a length of fishing line or fastened securely with zap-straps to an object to prevent the container from getting lost, but even then you'd still have to consider someone fumbling the log when trying to get it out or putting it back in. It also seems like the kind of place where a finder could be a bit exposed when finding it with people walking right by on the sidewalk, so mugglings could be a constant issue.

On 3/20/2019 at 5:30 PM, Sashaz55 said:

I was thinking of putting it on this handrail just off the bridge that the ground is still concrete and not yet on the bridge would this be ok? This is the spot

DB51A192-6BF7-431E-A72F-784383FF1847.jpeg

I would get permission and place a nano cache in the R of the word street on the wall, make it a mystery cache and call it "Nano in the Middle of Union Street bridge"

• Upvote 2

Know your region. Think consciously about what others might think and do. Bridge caches are a dime a dozen. Some places better than others. Some communities better than others. There's always the risk of accident and fumbling.

Consider clear labeling, or extreme camouflage. Nanos are great (not likely to be misconstrued as malicious), as are keyholders. Nanos can quickly be lost, keyholders aren't as weather optimized.

Consider your goal - bring someone to an area? Does it need to be on the bridge? What about a nearby tree or bush off the side of the road? Or is that more suspicious?

Lots of stuff to consider.

You won't get a straight answer in the forum :) Pretty much what DerDiedler said - just place it (considering any reasonable concern), and see how it works out, provided the reviewer allows it.

Shortly after 9/11 in the U.S.A. there was a rigid lockdown on placements on or proximate to bridges of any type including various other infrastructure facilities.

(I had attempted to hide on a secondary road where a bridge "over-crossed" a major NON-interstate highway and was informed of the "No-No Factor")

I sought two caches a few days ago at bridges on major arteries ... left me with the impression that things have been somewhat relaxed.