USA OSM Topo Map Unzip Error

Hello All,

Just getting my new Garmin eTrex 20x set up and ready for the weekend. After downloading the map on my laptop, I followed all of the instructions here (https://www.gmaptool.eu/en/content/installation) but when I go to open the appropriate file, I get an error message that reads "==unknown mapset, nothing installed." Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong or how to properly unzip the topo map so I can open it in Basecamp?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

1 hour ago, TheMolesFamily said:

it's worth a shot!

I'm downloading it now to see what I get. We are talking about the 637MB file, correct?

Oh, geez, that is a slow server! Gonna be almost an hour... I might loose interest before it finishes!

Oops! Wrong one (see below)...

Edited by Atlas Cached

I just re-downloaded the map and encountered the same error message when try to open the file with the 7 Zip it automatically appears in. I made sure to have my Garmin connected to the laptop and to have BaseCamp open.... no dice.

I'm sure it's probably a PICNIC (Person In Chair, Not In Computer) problem. lol I'll keep researching.

If I remember right, these maps aren't very pretty on the GPS. You might do better either using this or a cleaner OSM street map from garmin.openstreetmap.nl for street routing (associate that map with your driving and cycling profiles) and a non-routable topo map from GPSFiledepot.com for walking and hiking.

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, TheMolesFamily said:

I just re-downloaded the map and encountered the same error message when try to open the file with the 7 Zip it automatically appears in. I made sure to have my Garmin connected to the laptop and to have BaseCamp open.... no dice.

I'm sure it's probably a PICNIC (Person In Chair, Not In Computer) problem. lol I'll keep researching.

I'm still downloading - but FWIW, I do already have that map installed on my PC and can use it in BaseCamp, so my last attempt worked. I still want to see what happens today though...

And Mineral2 is correct, they are not the greatest looking maps on the GPSr.

My favorite maps at the moment are the 'Garmin Leisure' from bbbike.org - DO BE CERTAIN you select the (latin1) version of your preferred format and NOT (UTF-8).

Edited by Atlas Cached
10 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

My favorite maps at the moment are the 'Garmin Leisure' from bbbike.org - DO BE CERTAIN you select the (latin1) version of your preferred format and NOT (UTF-8).

This is fantastic. I'm going to give these a try. Though my area has the best map of all - Moun10Bike's Northwest Topos. Not routable, but full of useful details. The non-routable maps are nice because they have POIs such as the location of springs. Useful when backpacking.

2 hours ago, TheMolesFamily said:

Download Complete.

unzipped just fine, no errors. unzipped file is : 1.73 GB (1,861,234,193 bytes), 930 Files, 156 Folders

I am using 7Zip. (right click, unzip to "" directory...)

Edited by Atlas Cached
  • Upvote 1

I finally got it!!!!! My issue was that I did not create a 'Garmin' folder on my SD card. Once I learned that was necessary, it was simple to extract the file to the memory card (no error this time) and then use BaseCamp to send to device. I love the look of my new routable topo maps and can't wait to get out there this afternoon with the family and give it a whirl!  Thanks to everyone who chimed in. I learned about quite a few other options that I'll be considering in the future!

+1 on the http://www.gmaptool.eu/en/content/usa-osm-topo-routable maps.  I found that installing the topo-routable OSMs on my Oregon 700 corrupted the display of other maps, such as the OSM-Bike map, cotopo11, TOPO 2008, etc, but the topo-routable OSMs are so feature rich that I uninstalled all the other maps.  Further, the topo-routable OSMs are up to date.  They show the road layout of a subdivision completed last year.  Great maps.

Thanks to the  TheMolesFamily

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

I feel your pain as I’ve spent literally days trying to load Open Source Maps to my new ETrex 20x.  I understand you were successful.  Today, I thought I had also figured it out and successfully loaded two regional maps.  However, in using the same process on the 3rd regional map, I’m getting the error message “No unlocked maps were found for this device.”  Can anyone help?  

PS:  I did document my process in a two page Word document, but the site doesn’t seem to accept Word uploads as an acceptable attachment type.  I tried cutting and pasting here but the formatting got pretty messed up.  Not sure how to create an existing document to insert either.  If anyone wants to see this document (either for troubleshooting my issue, performing a peer review, or using it on his/her ETrex), please let me know.  

Edited by FSA^2
Updated text

Actually, I've been able to install 3 maps - Hawaii, NE and Pacific.  I believe my issue is downloading the zipped files.  I got an ethernet dongle to avoid use of WiFi that might me corrupting the file transfer.  I've tried using different browsers to do the download.  I also just made sure these files weren't being synched with Google Drive.   Trying again now.

Edited by FSA^2
update progress

Redownloaded files and unzipped them.  Still got an error message "No uncoded maps to install …  ".  So, I uninstalled and reinstalled Base Camp, uninstalled and reinstalled MapInstall then used each batch file to install the maps.  Now everything works at last!

• Love 1