Mark not on Data Explorer

MSchwiebert

Note that it is a US Geological Survey disk, not Coast and Geodetic Survey or National Geodetic Survey.  Only a minority of USGS marks are in the NGS data base.  Most of them were not measured to the standards needed for the NGS list, but only to mapping standards.

USGS data is available from them on request but they aren't particularly interested in recovery reports.

I believe DaveD posted this some time back and it explains the USGS marks in detail

The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), an agency in the Dept. of the Interior has the responsibility for producing our national topographic maps. They completed the monumental task of complete national mapping of the 1:24,000 scale map series (about 55,000 maps) in the early 1990's. USGS would often set survey monuments to help "control" the map. Maps are produced from aeronautical photos mosaiced together. In order to provide accurate location, orientation, scale and elevation to a flat map of a curved surface, it is required to have numerous points that can be identified on the photographs for which the coordinates/elevations are well known. The marks set by USGS were a vital part of this operation. In the days when mapping surveys were conducted primarily by line-of-site methods, these marks helped save money by helping to ensure a network that cartographers could rely on for mapping update procedures. With the rapid developments in surveying and mapping technology, especially GPS, USGS sees little need to setting new marks or maintaining the old networks. Unfortunately the data for tens of thousands of these marks set by USGS were never submitted to NGS for inclusion in the National Spatial Reference System. Due to major reductions in staff and the changing nature of mapping requirements, it is highly unlikely that USGS will ever automate these data.

Note "TT" stands for Transit Traverse

"TWC" is the initials of the crew chief in charge

Edited by Z15

Thanks everyone!  I had forgotten about the USGS markers as compared to the USCGS markers.  In any event I did get this reply from the NGS.

I can find no record of this mark.  Using the Lat and Long of the church in the map provided as the center, I have checked both published and destroyed marks and there are no marks closer than 1.7 miles to that location. Checking the whole county I see no published nor unpublished marks with TT or TWC in the name, nor any marks set in 1959.  It appears that this mark was never submitted to our database.  If there is a record of it at the State or County level I do not have access to that information. 

I am curious as well now, the mark looks in good shape and has the U.S. Geological Survey mark on it, and anything in the USGS database should be in ours as well.  I will reach out to the USGS and see if there is any information there.  If they respond I'll forward the information to you.

That reply from NGS must be from someone relatively new who is doesn't yet know that USGS does not have a database - never will.  We tried hard back in the '80s and '90s to work with USGS to automate their data for inclusion in the NGS Integrated Database - lots of talk but not much action.  They submitted a bit of their horizontal  data in some western states but that was about it - none of their leveling data ever came across.