I do hope they're not Cachers

Markwell

travisl posted a note on my Photographer’s Cache IX:

quote:

Two climbers die atop Rainier; third body possibly spotted

From the map in this linked newspaper article, it looks like this is the northern route to the summit. This shouldn't be the route that EraSeek or NW Climber would take to get to get to this cache, but I'd feel a lot better seeing a post here from them.

Hope you guys are OK.

I echo this statement, and hope that they see this and post either here or on the cache site.

Please, be careful out there. I'm starting to like my flat Illinois more and more.

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

The article says:

quote:
The mere fact that the climbers were at Liberty Cap suggests they weren't novices, though permit information supplied by the group leader indicated they hadn't climbed Rainier before.

EraSeek's profile contains a picture of him on Mt. Ranier, so we know he's climbed it before. nwclimber''s profile is empty, but in one of his posts on your cache page he mentions the conditions at various camps which seems to imply he's been there before.

I too, hope they post here to let everyone know they're OK, and my prayers are with the familes of the victims. May they rest in peace.

-

Gotta make this quick, sorry, but, yeah, both I and NW Climber are fine. Thanks for you concerns about us. Those guys were on a tough route and in bad weather. ps, I been to the top of Rainer only once, but been around and on it many times. I spoke with NW Climber early. She might go for the cache on Sunday. Camp Muir is at 10,000 but not a huge problem area unless you don't know where you are. That's how people get in trouble there. Get into a whiteout and go down off onto a glacier. GPS's are handy things to carry around.

4497_300.jpg

Of note here, when the Rainier group was near the top they had tough going due to deep snow and worstening weather. They made a plan to head around to Emmonds Glacier and descend via a safer route, but their GPS had failed due to the cold conditions, and they came around to low finding themselves in a difficult place. They decided to dig selves for the tents for the night, but 60 mile an hour winds ripped things apart, and things went from bad to worse.

One thing of note here for us is that their GPS failure may have assisted in their demise. The likely reason for the failure would be frozen batteries. The solution is if you ever expect to be in freezing conditions, use lithium batteries as how they hold up better in cold conditions. I have experienced my GPS becoming very sluggish in a blizzard. Another solution is to keep a spare set of batteries close to your body in your inner layer of clothing where they will be warm. When I climbed Rainier both my water bottles froze solid as well as my socks. It was 30 mile an hour winds and 10 degrees. Things can get very chilly at altitude.

4497_300.jpg

[This message was edited by EraSeek on May 31, 2002 at 10:14 PM.]

NW Climbers was first to the cache...

Photographer's Cache IX. Gracious person that she is, she'll be leaving it up there for Eraseek to get as well.

Of note, this has got to be the most "extreme" Photographer's Cache. The other ones are visiting such ominous places as Mount Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Pen y fan in Wales, San Francisco Bridge, etc. This one has ranged from a hot lava bed in Hawaii to Camp Muir on Mount Rainier.

Wow.

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

[This message was edited by Markwell on June 04, 2002 at 07:29 PM.]