Re-Creating a Travel Bug

kc_kilmer09

I've found a bug code that has been re-made and neglected because it got wet and is hard to read. I messaged the owner for permission to make a new one-- how would you suggest creating a new one so the code lasts? It seems like ink on paper that have been laminated never last long. I've only seen coins and original bugs other than the paper ones, so I'm open to all ideas! 

If you want to make a nice inexpensive replacement tag, look at places like amazon, for “engraved dog tags”. Tags available in many shapes, and you can have four lines of engraved text, front and back, the whole thing for under four dollars with free shipping.

from here: https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/351449-how-long-should-i-wait-to-mark-a-travel-bug-as-missing/&do=findComment&comment=5766616

;)

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, kc_kilmer09 said:

I've found a bug code that has been re-made and neglected because it got wet and is hard to read. I messaged the owner for permission to make a new one-- how would you suggest creating a new one so the code lasts? It seems like ink on paper that have been laminated never last long. I've only seen coins and original bugs other than the paper ones, so I'm open to all ideas! 

How's your handwriting?  You can find blank metal tags in many places such as hardware stores and craft shops.  I bought 100 blank aluminum dog tags on ebay, so there's stuff on hand when I have an idea to engrave something.  Scratch or engrave or stamp the number onto the tag.  But as TriciaG linked above, you can probably find a place online that sells decent tags and laser-engraves them, where the cost with (free) shipping is comparable to buying a blank one in a local store.

I've hand-engraved a lot of things using an engraver tool, and it tends to turn out OK, readable, although my chicken-scratch doesn't look super professional or artistic or anything. Plus I have metal stamps.  For hand engraving or stamping, write the text first using a sharpie, then generally engrave along that ink, then wipe off the remaining sharpie guide text.  And then you can draw within the lines using a sharpie to make the text stand out.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
20 hours ago, kc_kilmer09 said:

Hate to be the wet blanket, but I would have put it in another cache and forgotaboutit.

- The TO cared so little (or didn't know better...) to use a flimsy, rarely-lasting option to send their trackable's code out.

It's not yours, but too late, you contacted the owner.  Very nice of you.  :)

Amazon/ebay have lots of dog-tag-like things on sale cheap.  Hand engraving the code on it would be a great improvement on what you found. 

Burning the code on a wooden nickel is another cheap option to get it back out there too.

2 hours ago, kc_kilmer09 said:

I just ordered a dog tag online from Amazon, and they did all the engraving for me. It only costs a few dollars. This is the small size-- I will definitely get the larger size next time. 

Looks good!  I'm making some new trackables with small tags and attachments that aren't much bigger than the tags.  My goal is to make them small enough so they may be placed into most any "Small" cache, yet too big to be comfortably carried around in a pocket (or lost in a backpack).

I see a place online that has a diamond engraver.  If I get one done I'll post it.  One thing I want is some extra text about what the thing is (in case of being found outside of the game) and the request to place it into a cache and log.  Or at least contact information.

Edited by kunarion

I got ahold of 30 old Jeep TB numbers from another geocacher, she was given all the numbers by Jeep, I  bought some dog tags and have remade them with a stamp set and printed Jeep icons. I’ve been releasing them to get them moving again, see GeoWoodstock . Sadly, most of those Jeep TB’s went the way of most travelers. 

‘Also, I have my own travel bugs/coins that I have remade several times. They keep disappearing. Sadly, the TB’s of mine that made it to Europe have longevity, while those staying in US have a short lifespan. America, step it up.

17 minutes ago, Cryptid said:

‘Also, I have my own travel bugs/coins that I have remade several times. They keep disappearing. Sadly, the TB’s of mine that made it to Europe have longevity, while those staying in US have a short lifespan. America, step it up.

Ditto that!

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 1:14 AM, Cryptid said:

Sadly, the TB’s of mine that made it to Europe have longevity, while those staying in US have a short lifespan. America, step it up.

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 1:32 AM, Max and 99 said:

Ditto that!

That's odd, the other 2/3rd's coins had the exact opposite happen.    All we know who lost coins had the same.

Europe, they aren't currency...    :)

Edited by cerberus1