Notified of "new" souvenir every time the app starts

CAVinoGal

I wouldn't be surprised if the problem occurs when :

1. The download of the souvenirs images was interrupted or was never initiated. 
    In that case, the notification would stay on all the time.
  2. A "clean up" software (like CCleaner) periodically frees up disk space by deleting the app's cache.
    In that case, the notification would reappear a few hours or minutes later.
  3. The yellow dot is mistaken for a souvenir notification when, in fact, it signals an incoming message.
    In that case, the notification would stay on until the user reads all his messages.

I was one of the early posts of this problem, but it seems to have been recently fixed for me.  But I also got a new phone recently (Android - Galaxy A50), so I'm not sure if it fixed because of the new phone or just because the issue was finally repaired right about the same time as I got my new phone.  Either way, the problem is finally gone for me.

I also had this problem several months ago.

If I recall correctly, I fixed it by scrolling the souvenir list all the way to the bottom of the list.

It was my impression at the time that by doing this, I kind of marked all souvenirs as 'seen', and that caused the "new" souvenir yellow dot to disappear.

After the problem was gone for a couple of months, it recently showed up again :mad:

Today I went into Android-settings-->Apps-->Geocaching.

Then selected Storage.

I cleared the cache, but this didn't solve the problem.

Then I went back to (Android-settings-->Apps-->Geocaching) Storage, and this time I cleared the Data.

I then had to re-login into the app again (the app has lost all settings, username/password and so on).

... but for now, the new souvenir notification is gone :D:P

Possibly this also works for others.

Let's see for how long this 'workaround' solves the problem...  fingers crossed :)

3 hours ago, The CEO said:

Then I went back to (Android-settings-->Apps-->Geocaching) Storage, and this time I cleared the Data.

I then had to re-login into the app again (the app has lost all settings, username/password and so on).

... but for now, the new souvenir notification is gone :D:P

Possibly this also works for others.

Let's see for how long this 'workaround' solves the problem...  fingers crossed :)

It worked for about an hour.  The "New souvenir" notification is back.

I'm the OP on this thread, over a year ago.  it was resolved for a while, but as others have noted, it's baaaaaack!  I've scrolled down as The CEO suggested a couple of posts back, and today I cleared the cache AND the data, relogged in to see the New notificaton gone, but then back again an hour later.  :::sigh:::  I got used to it before, I'll just live with it till it's fixed again.

Android app v 8.13.1

Google Pixel phone

Android 10

On 2/19/2020 at 12:36 PM, CAVinoGal said:

It worked for about an hour.  The "New souvenir" notification is back.

I'm the OP on this thread, over a year ago.  it was resolved for a while, but as others have noted, it's baaaaaack!  I've scrolled down as The CEO suggested a couple of posts back, and today I cleared the cache AND the data, relogged in to see the New notificaton gone, but then back again an hour later.  :::sigh:::  I got used to it before, I'll just live with it till it's fixed again.

I'm getting that too now. It tells me I have a new souvenir (the most recent was the 02/02/2020 one), I look at a bunch of them and it goes away apparently satisfied, but the next time I open the app it's back telling me I have a new souvenir. The trouble is that same yellow dot could also mean there's an unanswered message I need to look at, so I feel a need to check whenever it appears. Out, damned spot!

• Upvote 2
On 10/15/2019 at 9:42 AM, @rthur said:

Seems to be fixed also on my phone : Galaxy S10 / Android 9 / Geocaching app v8.7.1.

Thanks to HQ developers ! :D

This bug is BACKKKKKK !!! :sad:

Samsung Galaxy S10 / Android 9 / Geocaching app v8.17.1

@HQ : What kind of data can we provide to your dev to help them fix this annoying bug ?

• Helpful 2

Yep, it's back. :huh: I made sure none of the 3 possibilities I evoked in my December 10th post were in effect. I had no other choice but to uninstalled and reinstall to make sure everything is fully resetted.

So far, it seems to work.

Version 8.17.1, Android 8.1.0, Samsung SM-J327W.

• Upvote 1

This only started a month ago for me (fairly new user) but is annoying because you think you have a new message.  Instead it's a notification for a souvenir you already knew you had.  

I will send in my screen shots as Reillylovescache had suggested.

Edited by calalily
added info

I updated my app today, hoping this would help.  It didn't.  :(  After installing the updated version, I logged out of the app, then logged back in.  Viewed my "new" souvenir for Feb. 29, and within 30 minutes, the "New" notification is back.  :::sigh:::

Version 8.17.1

Android 10

Google Pixel

Edited by CAVinoGal
ETA: Viewing the souvenirs on the website doesn't have any effect - I thought MAYBE it was a syncing issue with viewing the souvenirs in both places. Not the case.
  • Upvote 2

I thought it was just me. I started getting this glitch sometime in February, after the February 2 souvenir. I was surprised to see that this thread started in January of 2019. 

I have the app installed on 3 Android devices. I get the notification on all of them. As others here have said, I can clear it temporarily by clicking on my souvenir page, but it comes back within the hour. Closing and force stopping the app do no good. 

It looks as if the glitch is here to stay, at least for now. It's not hurting anything, at least. 

On 3/22/2020 at 7:13 AM, @rthur said:

Still no news from Groundspeak on this issue... :mellow:

I've contacted HQ. They emailed me back :

Thank you for contacting Geocaching HQ. We are aware of the fact that some Android users are experiencing a souvenir notification when there is in fact no new souvenir. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to get this issue resolved soon.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

On Android, there are two types of app-specific files :  persistent files, and another location for storing cache data.

If the geocaching app uses cache files instead of persistent files, it would be consistent with this bug because

Android sometimes deletes cache files on its own.

https://developer.android.com/training/data-storage/app-specific

And the solution for the programmers is to change the lines of code that looks like 

File.createTempFile(filename, null, context.getCacheDir());
File cacheFile = new File(context.getCacheDir(), filename);

with 

File file = new File(context.getFilesDir(), filename);

My $0.02...

My experience has been similar: problem tolerated for months, went away for a few, then returned several months ago & remained. Signed out, cleared the cache, removed & reinstalled the app, but nothing would remove it for longer than half an hour or so.

About two weeks ago, I bought a new phone directly from Motorola -- Android 10, even. Latest version of the app was installed during set-up, I signed in, and - boom - new souvenir notification was STILL active. I signed out then back in, but it stuck. I've given up trying to clear it.

I'm new to GeoCaching - and got my souvenirs the first day. Thanks to the bug I still get the notification all the time. It's quite frustrating for me as a new user, as I probably still have tons of souvenirs that I may acquire over time without knowing (just as the first ones!) - but I might as well stop looking at them as for now it's all the same.

It also makes me wonder whether I want to go Premium, after noticing that such a bug hasn't been cleared for such a long time.

• Surprised 1
On 6/2/2020 at 10:20 PM, Max and 99 said:

Over one little bug??

If "one little bug" has been reported and is bothering different users (including premium members) and affecting my (new) user experience, app/IT-wise, but not addressed, I wonder where the effort is going. As a new user, I can't see it. (I'm not saying there is none. I'm still at times trying to find my way through the website and app.)

When you try to decide whether the experience is worth your commitment through a paying premium membership - and you aren't sure - such things may well tip the balance. 

Personally I'd prefer the section to be deactivated than be bugged by the error constantly.

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 1
  • Love 3

Finally I found out the way how to get rid of that orange dot. Then logging a cache to receive new souvenir I log it in web browser instead of app. Then appears pop-up window "New souvenir", so I open it and check the souvenir. From then on orange dot is not in the app anymore. Of course, till next souvenir...

I have this problem as well for months. I just noted that when I tap on "Souvenirs (new)" the list of souvenirs loads and the yellow dot disappears and stays away when I tap the back icon ( <- ) in the top left corner. BUT, when I then go back to "Souvenirs" (still with the "new" notification) the lists loads/syncs again and when I go back befóre the list is completely downloaded/synced, the yellow dot reappears.... This can be repeated over and over again. So I think the souvenir list does not download/sync completely when you start the app, hence the yellow dot. This should be easily solved by the devs.

Edited by hamariko-nl
typo

I just

1. went to the souvenirs page and synced the list completely, yellow button disappears

2. tapped the back button (left arrow in top left corner)

3. returned to the page with "Souvenirs (new)"

4. refreshed this page by pulling it down

5. the "new" indication disappeared

6. the yellow button did not come back when I closed and restarted the app

Edited by hamariko-nl
typos
22 hours ago, GeoYakker said:

I am still seeing this bug on my Pixel 3 XL running Android v 11. The Geocaching version is 8.54.0

Same here. Google Pixel 4a, Android 11, Geocaching 8.54.0

The most recent souvenir I earned was 5/11/21; I've looked at all of them, artwork credits, etc, app has updated, phone has been restarted, the (New) notification is still there.  A month or so ago I got a new phone (upgraded from the original Pixel to a Pixel 4a) and I'm still seeing the same behavior.