Notified of "new" souvenir every time the app starts

CAVinoGal

The past week or so (maybe since January 1?) I have a persistent notification for a new souvenir.  I can view my souvenirs, it goes away, but within half an hour, it's back.  I look at them again, the notification goes away, and then returns.  The last souvenir I earned is the one for Jan 1.  I've restarted the app, and the phone, and the behavior remains.

Android v. 9

App v. 7.2.0

Google Pixel

How can I clear this?

Screenshot_20190114-160644.thumb.png.ffb9303eedaf754f87c17b6bb8f7b688.pngScreenshot_20190114-160905.thumb.png.d37e7f878d4a3dec7344d3ce950dc9c3.png

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 2

Normally mine clear when I tap on "Souvenirs (New)."

I have found that most issues I encounter with the app stem from a lag in synchronization between what's on the servers and what's in the app.  For example, I can recall some TBs that were still showing up in my inventory after I'd already dropped them in a cache.  Logging out and logging back in forces the app to synch up, and that seems to typically fixes these things.  So I'd try that.

4 hours ago, hzoi said:

Normally mine clear when I tap on "Souvenirs (New)."  Mine too.  And they do, but then later, it's back!

I have found that most issues I encounter with the app stem from a lag in synchronization between what's on the servers and what's in the app.  For example, I can recall some TBs that were still showing up in my inventory after I'd already dropped them in a cache.  Logging out and logging back in forces the app to synch up, and that seems to typically fixes these things.  So I'd try that.

I have restarted the app, and my phone.  Today, I logged out of the app, and geocaching.com as well.  Then logged back in to both, and the (New) under Profile and Souvenirs was gone.  Now it's back.  I can't seem to make it go away!

8 hours ago, noncentric said:

I've reported this bug to GS and it seems to be a known issue that is on their list.

Thank you!  I can live with it, but it is puzzling.  Since I am in the app every day (at least till Feb. 2 when I hit day #400 of a Find a day for a challenge!) it's just there, every day.

I will await an app update!

I recently got a new phone (Samsung S9+ running Android Pie).

Every time I start the app I get the orange dot indicating something new in my profile.

I haven't received a new souvenir since January 1st.

I've cleared the app cache AND app data.

It worked fine after that, but has since started notifying me again. Why?

Screenshot_20190315-083915_Geocaching.jpg

Screenshot_20190315-083927_Geocaching.jpg

Screenshot_20190315-083901_Geocaching.jpg

• Helpful 1

It's not only when the app starts for me, it just re-appears several times throughout the day, and this has been happening since January for me.  I can look at my souvenirs, and it goes away temporarily, but is back within an hour or so.  See my post:  (two months later and it is still happening).

Here it is, the end of March, a new souvenir promo is underway.  I was hoping that earning NEW souvenirs might be the trigger to make this issue go away, but that is not the case.

I continually have the (New) Souvenir notification.  Clearing cache on the phone app, restarting the phone, logging in and out of the website and the app - nothing seems to clear it!  Viewing my souvenirs does make it go away, for a short time (30 minutes? An hour?  not long...) and then it's baaaaaacckk.

App version 7.7.0

Android 9

Google Pixel

same thing for me.  It's annoying as I think I have a message in the message center and it's just the same old "new souvenir" which is not new.   Can Geocaching.com HQ please just get rid of this feature on the app?   It clearly doesn't work as intended.   and I don't really need to be notified that I got a new souvenir anyway.
"

• Upvote 1

Can this be fixed?  Every time I open the app it tells me I have a new souvenir.   I click on it and the new souvenir notification goes away.  But then 10 minutes later the new souvenir notification is back.

If it can't be fixed so that it can be cleared until I acquire a new souvenir, how about just removing this feature.   It's pointless.

2 minutes ago, DrPflug said:

Can this be fixed?  Every time I open the app it tells me I have a new souvenir.   I click on it and the new souvenir notification goes away.  But then 10 minutes later the new souvenir notification is back.

If it can't be fixed so that it can be cleared until I acquire a new souvenir, how about just removing this feature.   It's pointless.

Same here.

I found this thread looking for an answer to this very issue, which has plagued me since I attained the first "Mystery at the Museum" set of souvenirs. It is rather annoying and it is disappointing to see that this bug has been in existence a lot longer than I realised and hasn't been fixed. 

Edited by Just_Matt
  • Upvote 4

Posting regarding same issue. Began for me yesterday simply out of the blue. Did all the suggested fixes, and no change. Haven't had any new Souvenirs since Streak Week/August 31/19.

It would be really nice IF this issue would be brought to the attention of the developers again. Customers simply want to know their concerns about these types of extremely annoying bugs, are being looked into. Communication is key here. Where is it? 

Edited by ReillyLovesCache
Most recent souvenir date changed July 27, 19 to Aug 31, 19
  • Helpful 1

Wondering if anyone else has contacted Groundspeak via email with this issue?

I did this morning with the required screen shots, (same as what others have posted in this discussion/must included Version of the app), and I included a link to this forum discussion. 

If others who have contributed to this discussion could take the time to do the same, maybe this BUG might receive some attention? 

I went geocaching with someone yesterday who has had this same unresolved issue for 18 months now. I feel that is unacceptable. 

I will post here again when I obtain a response to my email. 

Edited by ReillyLovesCache
Changed issue to BUG

For any posters, if you are willing to help out by emailing Groundspeak, here is what's required in your email. Thanks!

Thank you for contacting Geocaching HQ and sorry to hear you’re having issues with the Geocaching® app.

Please help us determine the underlying issue by sending us 2 screenshots

1. The area of the app causing the issue (Example: the Map page, List page, etc.)
  2. IMPORTANT: The version information from the app
    • Android, select the Menu button in the upper left corner, scroll to the bottom, then select Version info
    • iPhone, select the More tab in the lower right corner, scroll to the bottom, then select Version info

Tip: Here are instructions on how to take screenshots on an Android or iPhone.

We hope to hear back from you and get this resolved quickly.

Geocaching Community Coordinator

Here is the reply I received this morning

Thank you for contacting Geocaching HQ. We are aware of this issue. I have forwarded the information you provided to our developers. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to get this issue resolved soon.

Best regards,

Geocaching Community Coordinator

My reply

Thanks for your reply, 

A known issue/Bug for 18 months now, and no resolution to it? How is that possible in this day, and age of technology? 

• Upvote 1
On 9/21/2019 at 7:04 PM, ReillyLovesCache said:

A known issue/Bug for 18 months now, and no resolution to it? How is that possible in this day, and age of technology? 

Most likely because it isn't a priority to fix.  You're not losing any functionality because of it.  Same issue with the image gallery bug that puts app photos after all the website photos - it's annoying, but it's not a show stopper.  So it has a lower priority than things that are interfering with functionality.

17 hours ago, alain4s said:

I am happy to report the bug was squashed with Version 8.7.1 on Android 8.1.0

Good job. Thanks.

I updated to V 8.7.1., Android 10, Google Pixel a couple of days ago.  Had other distractions the last couple of days, but when I checked this morning, I had no "New Souvenir" alert!  It does indeed seem to be fixed with 8.7.1!

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 5:18 AM, hzoi said:

Most likely because it isn't a priority to fix.  You're not losing any functionality because of it.  Same issue with the image gallery bug that puts app photos after all the website photos - it's annoying, but it's not a show stopper.  So it has a lower priority than things that are interfering with functionality.

It's an App.  Apps have popups on the popups.  I guess it's what everyone (except me) demands.  If there was no notification, everyone would be here complaining that they got none, so the App errs on the side of being sure you get the notice.   There's no thread about "Stop all the popups in the App", only about the extra ones.

The problem is that everyone loves the notification.   I could live without any of them.  It's an App, I can look at the App (it's kind of what I'm doing when the App is open), and at that point, I can, for example, tap "Souvenirs" and see them.

If instead of a yellow dot and popups there was a "New Stuff" menu item, I could tap that when I want to see what's new.  You don't have to pop it up for me.  I wouldn't have to acknowledge nor cancel it, it's just the latest stuff.  But that's not what we want in An App.  We require it to notify us.  Be careful what you wish for. :ph34r:

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, kunarion said:

The problem is that everyone loves the notification.   I could live without any of them.  It's an App, I can look at the App (it's kind of what I'm doing when the App is open), and at that point, I can, for example, tap "Souvenirs" and see them.

Hmm, maybe not everyone. I really only want to get notifications if it's something that requires my prompt attention. If someone has sent me a message then, yes, I'd like to be notified of that since they're probably expecting me to answer. But if it's just about a souvenir I got from finding an EC a couple of weekends back, well no, that really doesn't need to interrupt whatever I'm currently trying to use the app for. Pinging noises, popups and ubiquitous yellow dots should be reserved for those things that require action right now.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, barefootjeff said:

Hmm, maybe not everyone.

OK, everyone except you and me.  B)

My point is that the main complaint is that the one popup is recurring, not that there are things in general popping up.  

Message alerts happen in email (or at least they previously did).  I could live with that and a quiet App.  But that’s just me.  OK, maaaybe you and me.  :anitongue:

Doesn't bother me.  I just don't even look at it.  Fortunately I do most of my caching business through the website  (probably 99%) so if I have a message I'll see it there. 

Edited :  OK I looked at it---the yellow dot is still there.   Version 8.7.1.  The item highlighted is Map.   Is it trying to tell me something about the map?

Edited by NanCycle