Building a Gruffalo Wherigo cache?

RaeRobyn

I have played a couple of Wherigo caches and really like the idea. I've been researching a little into building my own and wanted to experiment with a short stroll through a local park near me. I'm intending using Wherigo\\kit as it seems an easy way to start so was trying to come up with short story to try out. Because my daughter is obsessed with it at the moment and there are plenty of images online I wondered if I would be allowed to publish a Gruffalo themed short story or if I would run in to copyright problems etc? Could I use the images and copy th story or if not could I use 'similar' images and storylines? Sorry if its a silly question.

Ultimately, since it'll likely involve a listing on geocaching.com, this is up to your reviewer.  As for just a Wherigo cartridge alone, there's no issue: it's not for sale, no one is making money off it, and it's fair use.  I brought that up as a question with Groundspeak in 2008, and their stance at the time was only reactionary, meaning they'd only do something if copyright holders contacted them.  So I suggest asking your reviewer.  If it proves a problem to get a cache published, you could leave off the name "Gruffalo" and say this story is based on a book.  As a geocacher, I've found caches based on and that talk about books, movies, TV, and so on, but heard talk of people having trouble mentioning things like the Little Free Library (though I've found caches on, in, and around them).  Go figure.