Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
y2kbug

Drone-O-Caching

Drone-O-Caching, the practice of flying a drone exactly over a Geocache location and taking a photo from 100'. The flight must start from at least 1320 feet away (1/4 mile, up to the maximum range of the drone), and the photo must show the exact spot where the Geocache is located, although not necessarily the Geocache itself......Hell Yea. In order to achieve this the drone app must be able to mission the drone to a GPS Lat/Lon or must display Lat/Lon on the FPV screen. I'm going to experiment with this this weekend.

😁😁

You'd have a hard time doing that on many of the caches around here. This is the view from above my most recent hide - somewhere under the forest canopy is a cache, but where?

ViewFromAbove.jpg.a701fc845196de51181027aef629f6e6.jpg

And if they figure out how to open the cache, sign the log, and replace the cache, then they can even log a Find.

• Upvote 3
  • Funny 2

Are there any caches out there that need a drone to retrieve? I have never come across one.

I suppose they can lift a bit of cargo...

I don't know much about drones as you can see, but the possibilities seem interesting. You could for example

search for cache coordinates that are only visible to drone. 

6 hours ago, papu66 said:

Are there any caches out there that need a drone to retrieve? I have never come across one.

There may be a handful out there that predate the guidance put out to reviewers, but since 2015 or so, reviewers will not (knowingly) publish a cache that involves drone placement or retrieval.

Past discussions:

• Helpful 1

11 hours ago, papu66 said:

I suppose they can lift a bit of cargo...

There's one that most folks who've done it use a lot of rope to access.  A climb partner left without me and did it solo...

The cache page mentions something about grabbing it with an rc copter, showing it's age.   :)

I'd think todays larger drones would grab that cache easily.

19 hours ago, y2kbug said:

Drone-O-Caching, the practice of flying a drone exactly over a Geocache location and taking a photo from 100'. The flight must start from at least 1320 feet away (1/4 mile, up to the maximum range of the drone), and the photo must show the exact spot where the Geocache is located, although not necessarily the Geocache itself......Hell Yea. In order to achieve this the drone app must be able to mission the drone to a GPS Lat/Lon or must display Lat/Lon on the FPV screen. I'm going to experiment with this this weekend.

Saw this come up online just a day or two ago, with the exact wording.  Weird...

On 3/15/2019 at 3:00 PM, cerberus1 said:

There's one that most folks who've done it use a lot of rope to access.  A climb partner left without me and did it solo...

The cache page mentions something about grabbing it with an rc copter, showing it's age.   :)

I'd think todays larger drones would grab that cache easily.

If it is the one I know, the drone method was attempted and failed.  That cache is fairly heavy, the drone can't manage it.

Another approach was to use the drone to place ropes for the cache.  That also had issues, you have to be careful not to get the ropes tangled with the rotors.