Huh...I have to pay?

_Daemon_

I have not geocached for years, so I am pretty out of the loop. I placed a cache years ago, and its been enjoyed by lots of people. I immigrated to another country a couple of years ago, so have not been maintaining the cache, going back to my home country where the cache is, and want to go maintain it, I installed the iOS geocaching app only to find out I now have to have a subscription and I cannot even view my own cache in the app?  

Turns out I can see the cache on the website, but not through the app. Bit of a shame the app is so restricted, I dont mind buying the app, but a subscription, for the amount of geocaching I do...no dont think so. 

Edited by _Daemon_

A few years ago, they developed a new app. Rather than paying outright for the app like the old one, the new one is tied to your geocaching.com membership.

The limited-but-free capability of the app is meant to give you a taste of geocaching to make sure it's something you might want to continue to do before having to pay anything. Like with the old app, basic members are limited in the caches that they can view in the app. Basic members can only see caches with lower D/T ratings, so they don't join up and then immediately go out and try to find a dangerous T5 or a difficult D4, both of which could turn them off of geocaching. In this case, your cache isn't showing up because its D/T are higher than the limit. Now, I would have thought you'd still be able to view your own caches regardless of D/T rating, but I guess that isn't the case.

Accessing the caches through a browser doesn't have the same limitations as through the app. If you only rarely cache but still want to use your phone, your best bet is probably to browse to the website in a browser on your phone, get a free or cheap navigation app, and manually enter the coordinates for the caches you want to find. Likewise with your own cache.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 5
1 hour ago, The A-Team said:

If you only rarely cache but still want to use your phone, your best bet is probably to browse to the website in a browser on your phone, get a free or cheap navigation app, and manually enter the coordinates for the caches you want to find. Likewise with your own cache.

It is also possible for an Android app to register an interest in Google Maps URLs. Then you can browse the cache page, click on the Google Maps link below the description, and have the app handle the request. I used apps that did this back in the dark ages, long before the API, and before Groundspeak had created its own iPhone app (which came long before their Android app).

The app won't get all the cache information this way. It will just have the label (the GC code, IIRC) and the coordinates. But that's plenty for casual geocachers who just want to look up a few geocaches on the web site and then go find them with a phone app.

15 hours ago, K13 said:

I don't use iOS phone, but I believe the Cachly app may not have the D/T limitation that is a part of the Geocaching Free app. That might be worth a look.

All approved apps have the D/T limitation...

It's the geocaching API that all partners use that set the limit, not the app...

• Upvote 1
19 hours ago, _Daemon_ said:

I have not geocached for years, so I am pretty out of the loop. I placed a cache years ago, and its been enjoyed by lots of people. I immigrated to another country a couple of years ago, so have not been maintaining the cache, going back to my home country where the cache is, and want to go maintain it, I installed the iOS geocaching app only to find out I now have to have a subscription and I cannot even view my own cache in the app?  

19 hours ago, _Daemon_ said:

Turns out I can see the cache on the website, but not through the app. Bit of a shame the app is so restricted, I dont mind buying the app, but a subscription, for the amount of geocaching I do...no dont think so. 

Because you're a basic member the D/T won't allow you to view with the app, so use the website.  You know how...

You don't have to pay to enjoy this hobby , with just a little extra work the only limits are pmo caches.   :)

We know folks here around longer than us in this hobby, who've never become a pm.

No offense, but your cache had issues since last June,  and no lid since last July.  You're just looking to fix it now ?

Curious, if there are still safety concerns there (with other people...) , why not just archive it?

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 3/15/2019 at 8:15 AM, cghove said:

All approved apps have the D/T limitation...

It's the geocaching API that all partners use that set the limit, not the app...

This is not correct. Basic members may only receive non-premium traditional or event caches from a cache search. The D/T rating doesn't matter. Other cache-types may be retrieved when the basic user requests them with the GC code. The 3 caches per day limit is applied no matter what type of cache is involved.

This is all spelled out in the API License Agreement which, I believe, is publicly available to view.

5 hours ago, Corfman Clan said:

This is not correct. Basic members may only receive non-premium traditional or event caches from a cache search. The D/T rating doesn't matter. Other cache-types may be retrieved when the basic user requests them with the GC code. The 3 caches per day limit is applied no matter what type of cache is involved.

This is all spelled out in the API License Agreement which, I believe, is publicly available to view.

Here are the differences according to this page:

Feature Basic membership Premium membership
Geocache types
  • Traditional Caches
  • Event Caches
All geocache types
Difficulty/Terrain (D/T) D2/T2 and below All D/T ratings

15 minutes ago, Fogtripper said:

Came back to geocaching after a couple year break and was saddened to see it monetized this way.

Geocaching is free... simply use the homepage to access any cache, download the waypoints into the app and you are good to go.

17 minutes ago, Fogtripper said:

If I have trackables moving, am I going to be able to see where they land if in a "premium" cache?

Yes... with the trackable page.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, RuideAlmeida said:

Geocaching is free... simply use the homepage to access any cache, download the waypoints into the app and you are good to go.

There is no access to "premium caches" for non-paying members. You can see them listed, but they cannot be accessed beyond that.

So no, "access any cache" is not true.

31 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Monetized?

Most of my family plays for free. I choose to pay $30 a year for a premium membership to support the hobby. But I can play for free if I want to. 

Yes, monetized. You literally cannot access the "premium caches" beyond the list unless you pay. Yes, you can access all of the other ones for free, but only a fraction of the available caches.

Edited by Fogtripper
1 hour ago, Fogtripper said:

was saddened to see it monetized this way.

Right. Because these are just a bunch of hippies living for free in the Ballard district of Seattle. How dare they ask for Mo*ey?

In fact, they should be sending you reports on your travelers' adventures every week. It's the least they could do for the time and effort you put into it.

• Upvote 3
  • Funny 2
  • Surprised 1
1 minute ago, hukilaulau said:

Right. Because these are just a bunch of hippies living for free in the Ballard district of Seattle. How dare they ask for Mo*ey?

In fact, they should be sending you reports on your travelers' adventures every week. It's the least they could do for the time and effort you put into it.

Easy on the snark, friend. It is not appreciated.

1 minute ago, RuideAlmeida said:

You just need to know the GC code...

How do you access the cache's page without premium membership, or see on the map?

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 2
7 minutes ago, Fogtripper said:

Yes, monetized. You literally cannot access the "premium caches" beyond the list unless you pay. Yes, you can access all of the other ones for free, but only a fraction of the available caches.

If I am not wrong (happens a lot), you are talking about the caches that a Basic Member can see on the app... but that same person will see all the caches on the homepage, except those that are for Premium Members Only... that are decided by the owners, not by Geocaching HQ. But, even those can be searched and logged, if you have their GC codes.

PMO are indeed a small fraction of all the caches... contrary to what you said.

Edited by RuideAlmeida
  • Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, RuideAlmeida said:

Do you know what is a GC code... the unique code that identifies any cache. If you know it, just search for it, get the url and log the cache.

When you use the geocaching home page search function for a GC code, it brings up a page prompting premium membership.

I use a garmin as old as dirt, and typically do a map search of the area I plan to visit, and download the .gpx files to upload to the device.

Edited by Fogtripper
7 minutes ago, Fogtripper said:

When you use the geocaching home page search function for a GC code, it brings up a page prompting premium membership.

I use a garmin as old as dirt, and typically do a map search of the area I plan to visit, and download the .gpx files to upload to the device.

Just in case this is something that might help you, it's what non PM members often use to log a PM cache. Other uses, too, I just thought you might find it helpful.

https://www.geocachingadmin.com/

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Fogtripper said:

Came back to geocaching after a couple year break and was saddened to see it monetized this way.

If I have trackables moving, am I going to be able to see where they land if in a "premium" cache?

For the record, Premium Member Only caches have existed since before you created your geocaching.com account. Nothing changed during your "couple year break".

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
3 minutes ago, RuideAlmeida said:

One last try... after placing the GC code instead of "Go To", hit "Log", please...

OK, THAT brings up the proper log page. However it does not provide access to the coordinates or description. So I could conceivably log it as found, but no way to have a clue where it may exist.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, niraD said:

For the record, Premium Member Only caches have existed since before you created your geocaching.com account. Nothing changed during your "couple year break".

That may have simply been a case of very few premium caches when I did searches in the areas I was targeting, so was never noticed to be something I'd been blocked from.. Where I am now, there are a large %.

3 minutes ago, RuideAlmeida said:

Large being... less than 10%?  :)

This is the map search that led me to find this thread. It is a nearby area that we regularly hike/hunt. It dawned on me to see if there were any caches since the weather is not so hellish of late:

Capture.JPG

Edited by Fogtripper
14 minutes ago, Fogtripper said:

OK, THAT brings up the proper log page. However it does not provide access to the coordinates or description. So I could conceivably log it as found, but no way to have a clue where it may exist.

There are also many mystery caches with exactly the same issue. :)

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Fogtripper said:

It likely is a very small % and I just happened upon a small cluster of P caches.

Please don't take it so personal... some owners are afraid of the newbies that may put their caches in risk... especially on areas such that one, where maintenance can be harder.

So they place a PMO condition on the caches, to avoid it... or try, at least.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Fogtripper said:

Basic members haven't been able to view premium member-only caches since they were a thing.   

6 minutes ago, Fogtripper said:

OK, THAT brings up the proper log page. However it does not provide access to the coordinates or description.

So I could conceivably log it as found, but no way to have a clue where it may exist.

Basic members can't view it, but can log the find of a pmo cache that they went to with a pm.

The site has given a free pm during a promotion.  If remaining basic, it'd be good to take advantage of coordinates when that happens. 

5 hours ago, Fogtripper said:

I already backtracked and noted that the search that prompted my input in this thread was an outlier.

What on earth is with the toxicity on this forum?

Actually, this has been pretty mild... but it sounds like you really do want to play the game so I've fixed your problem for the next year. Go find all the caches you want, fix up your current one and place some more. If I ever get to your location I'll be sure to hunt them down!

• Surprised 4
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Fogtripper said:

That may have simply been a case of very few premium caches when I did searches in the areas I was targeting, so was never noticed to be something I'd been blocked from.. Where I am now, there are a large %.

I had a look in the area where you found your last cache. It's not as bad as it seems to be honest:

These are all caches in that county (that's 560):

image.thumb.png.5488c31ce8ca7e2984c71dfe9ddafb78.png

and these are all premium member only caches:

image.thumb.png.888d32740e45c13d7c38e433525742b6.png

• Helpful 1

I've just had an e-mail telling me my premium membership will automatically renew @ USD32.99, which is about AUD45.00  That is a lot less than a cup of coffee a month.

I can't think of another serious hobby which costs less.   I play bridge twice a week and our table money is $3.00 per game.  That's over $300.00 a year.  Goodness knows what golf would cost me.  

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
5 minutes ago, Gill & Tony said:

I've just had an e-mail telling me my premium membership will automatically renew @ USD32.99, which is about AUD45.00  That is a lot less than a cup of coffee a month.

I can't think of another serious hobby which costs less.   I play bridge twice a week and our table money is $3.00 per game.  That's over $300.00 a year.  Goodness knows what golf would cost me.  

Agree. I mostly use premium for pocket queries, which I might make ones a month. Unless I use gsak or project-gc.

Which reminds me: are non-premium members able to see PMO caches in project-gc? At least TO should be able to use the live-map and filter out PMO caches. That would help with trip planning without seeing a list of caches that he can't easily do he could focus on those that are no problem.

So @Fogtripper don't trip over PMO caches. Head over to https://project-gc.com/Tools/LiveMap

There filter on Exclude Premium. You might need to authenticate with geocaching first (not sure, I'm always logged in). This site is an official API partner, thus nothing dodgy.

15 hours ago, Fogtripper said:

I use the browse map for nearly all my searches as well, so I understand your issue. But the map search does tell you that they exist and if you drop into list view you can see them there as well.

And, well, it is possible to find some information. Searching on a set of coordinates with the list (not the map) will provide a set of caches with an approximate distance to them. The location is a little fuzzy I find, but in the right area it's possible to get some pretty close coordinates with a bit of effort. The cache name will sometimes help as well.

The old search page (which you can access via any cache page by clicking the "caches close to here" link is more helpful as it provides size, DT and when the cache was last found.

It's not great when you're way out in the woods, but it's possible to get some information.

Project GC will also give you some of this sort of information. I find the odd PMO cache, but generally I just ignore them. I understand their existence in some cases, but ultimately I figure that by setting out really nice caches myself I'm doing more benefit for the game than a bunch of PMO film canisters that are never maintained do.

e2a: so, I reckon I've got a decent idea where the first PMO cache on the list that you had on that map up there ^ @Fogtripper ...

Edited by Blue Square Thing
19 hours ago, Fogtripper said:

I already backtracked and noted that the search that prompted my input in this thread was an outlier.

What on earth is with the toxicity on this forum?

I wasn't laughing at you, but at the phraseology.  The laugh came well before your posts backtracking.  I'm sure there are areas where PMO's outnumber the basic caches.

I did learn something, I thought PMO's were less than 10%, ~20% was a surprise.

On 9/12/2020 at 12:26 PM, Fogtripper said:

In the early days, when only a handful of caches existed, you could store them on a floppy disk and it took only one person to run it in their spare time.. Today over 3 million caches exist. This takes staff and servers and a building and a website and a lot more overhead. Yes, Groundspeak monetized the hobby and turned it into a business. If they hadn't, there is no way the hobby would be as big as it is today.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 4
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

It certainly is a cheap hobby. My annual windsurfing club fee is $250.

I too shudder at the thought of what it might cost to join a golf club.