Deleting images ... odd dialog box

SN67

Maybe I'm missing something here, but to me it seems stupid!

I'm in the progress og making some new caches and would replace a photo. When trying to delete the photo to be replaced, a dialog box appeared: 

It's pretty good to receive a warning, but I can't delete unless I write something in the box ? ... And who is receiving the message?? It's certainly not me ?

(Well, I guess it has something to do with deleting photos from logs, but wouldn't it be pretty easy to divert those two things in the code?)  

Udklip.JPG

• Upvote 1

Sounds like the type of feature designed to put the responsibility back on the person deleting the image, rather than blaming the website.  Probably replaces the type of multiple nag pop ups that state something to the affect, "...do you really, really want to do this?"  In other words, there's no turning back and there's no point in asking HQ to restore it, so don't bother asking.

I find it funny that these types of warning boxes always state something like,, "Deleting an image is permanent and cannot be undone". Like it's trying to frighten us somehow. I'm fairly certain that I can upload the image again if deleted by mistake or if I changed my mind later. I'm not sure why this particular warning box is needed but at the same time, it's quick and easy to maneuver through..

It seems to me the OP is asking "I'm deleting my own picture, why do I need to write a message about it";  The code used when a CO deletes another finder's uploaded image asks for a reason, and that will be presented to the image owner to explain why their image was deleted - this is reasonable and has been requested as a feature; I suspect that same piece of code is used when deleting your own image, so it still asks the question even though it's pointless in that scenario.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Mudfrog said:

I find it funny that these types of warning boxes always state something like,, "Deleting an image is permanent and cannot be undone". Like it's trying to frighten us somehow. I'm fairly certain that I can upload the image again if deleted by mistake or if I changed my mind later. I'm not sure why this particular warning box is needed but at the same time, it's quick and easy to maneuver through..

If you have the image, you can upload it again. If your only copy is the one on the web site, it's gone forever. I assume that's the scenario they're worried about. I'm not convinced they should be worried, but since they obviously are worried, I'll just shrug and not question whether their concern is justified.

6 hours ago, Touchstone said:

Sounds like the type of feature designed to put the responsibility back on the person deleting the image, rather than blaming the website.  Probably replaces the type of multiple nag pop ups that state something to the affect, "...do you really, really want to do this?"  In other words, there's no turning back and there's no point in asking HQ to restore it, so don't bother asking.

You could be right, but if that were really the issue, I'd have to wonder if it wouldn't be just as easy to delete the images in a way that GS can recover them. It's hard for me to imagine this is so many images that it would be a significant burden on storage space. From what I've seen, most people don't delete obsolete images, anyway, they just remove the links to them.

As far as I know (I'm not a part of the engineering team), this is a mistake that was introduced in the recent past (a handful of months ago or so). The pop-up you are seeing used to only appear if you were deleting an image from a finder's log on a cache you own. I was meant for you to communicate reasons for removing a (presumably) spoiler photo from your cache. Now it shows up even if you are trying to delete an image that you uploaded and own yourself.

I have documented the issue in our bug tracking software.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Pontiac_CZ said:

Even odder thing is that there is still no reason entry field when deleting a spoiler log.  Been wanted for years. :)

It is also recommended procedure to inform about the reason but you have to do it yourself. The same code snipped could be used in both cases.