Number of Attendees for "Will attend" Log

HWHA

For Event hosts it would be great to not just see the number of will attend logs, but also the real number of Attendees. 

As some cachers use team-account or say "i come and bring xyz with me" it would be useful if one has to specify with how much persons he or she will attend the event. 

In some cases e.g. at events in restaurants there is just a limited number of guests possible. Especially for bigger Events with more than 50 Attendees it would be nice to have a kind of counter. 

Thanks

Heiko

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, HWHA said:

For Event hosts it would be great to not just see the number of will attend logs, but also the real number of Attendees. 

As some cachers use team-account or say "i come and bring xyz with me" it would be useful if one has to specify with how much persons he or she will attend the event. 

In some cases e.g. at events in restaurants there is just a limited number of guests possible. Especially for bigger Events with more than 50 Attendees it would be nice to have a kind of counter. 

How would a "counter" know a real number ?  Seems (to me) a "counter" would depend on folks using it.   ;)

To me, a "correct count" would be almost impossible when you add in all the "what ifs" of life.

I'm sure most have seen folks show last-minute who never even put a Will Attend on the event page (or do it while there).  Some passing through the area.

Two last-minute kids with the flu and at least one parent's not attending now too.  

As most common problems, issues and/or crises that happen to normal people living normal lives, those things tend to be a bit more important than this hobby.  :)

We see folks mention how many may be attending with them (sometimes with what they're bringing for pot luck), and have seen some say they (now) can't make it. 

- Seems it'd be easier to just keep track of the logs, and give yourself whatever leeway you need.

Edited by cerberus1
missed some more :)
  • Upvote 1

What I mean is: If you have a location that is just for a special number of people maybe 100, a counter would be a good thing. So you easily can see, when the maximum is reached. 

Right, a counter depends on the people using it. So if logging "will attend" requires specifiing a number of Attendees that should work. 

• Upvote 1

I've seen events around me with attendees indicated by the number inside percentage signs (example, 2 will attend = "%2%")

I presume that some third-party site or GSAK macro uses this to keep a running count, but I don't know what tool in particular uses this.

I agree that this would be a handy feature.

If an attendee can take an hour or three out of their lives to attend, you can take two seconds to skim their post and mentally "+2", no?

I've hosted many dozens of events, and even counting manually, I have to apply a fudge factor, say 30%, to cover people who just show up without warning, or like they do every month.

Applying hard logic to soft factors doesn't work.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
6 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

If an attendee can take an hour or three out of their lives to attend, you can take two seconds to skim their post and mentally "+2", no?

Well, sure.  I can, and have.  I still think it would be helpful, especially for restaurant-based events in higher traffic areas.  I haven't attended but two events in the last nine months (one mega, one open-air) because they not only fill up around here, there's often a waiting list.  Here's one example that just has one dude on the waiting list, but I've seen waiting lists ten cachers deep.

Also would come in handy for mega/giga events - like the one HHL appears to be working on above.

31 minutes ago, hzoi said:

Also would come in handy for mega/giga events

It would be sufficient if GS's API would be enhanced accordingly:

This is what we get since 2019-03-11:

- EventEndDate has been added to geocache object

- Find count field has been added to the geocache object

They just forget to implement what event owners wanted to have:

- Will attend count field has been added to the geocache object

The current count figure multiplied by 1.3 gives a fair value of attendees being awaited.

Hans

• Funny 1
14 hours ago, K13 said:

If an event limits the number of attendees, why would it be allowed to be listed as an event on Geocaching?  I thought all are welcome at Geocaching any events.

eg: If it's at a restaurant there may be a reservation amount, so the event owner may keep track of possible attendees. They can't stop someone from attending the event - so most likely that results in a waiting list for seating, but people can still come and go to the event without sitting with the 'group'.  The head count (not the WA log count) is much more healpful for managing that.

6 hours ago, thebruce0 said:
20 hours ago, K13 said:

If an event limits the number of attendees, why would it be allowed to be listed as an event on Geocaching?  I thought all are welcome at Geocaching any events.

eg: If it's at a restaurant there may be a reservation amount, so the event owner may keep track of possible attendees. They can't stop someone from attending the event - so most likely that results in a waiting list for seating, but people can still come and go to the event without sitting with the 'group'.  The head count (not the WA log count) is much more healpful for managing that.

I've been to events that were held in rooms with a maximum capacity (according to the fire marshall). I don't think we've ever exceeded that capacity, but we've come close to filling a couple rooms. I can see how an event organizer might need to limit attendance even if the event is held in a community room of some sort. Depending on the typical attendance for local events, and the capacity of the community room, of course.

On 3/12/2019 at 6:06 PM, thebruce0 said:

This is exactly what I wanted to say. Surely you can count ore multiply with a kind of factor like 1.3. But still it would be a nice-to-have feature.

• Upvote 1