Magnetic TB

margolenny

We bought a magnetic trackable <XXXXX> to put on the back of our vehicle, but when I tried to activate it changed to TB8MTX2.  I can't find <XXXXXX> when I try to log it?  How do I activate it?  Does anyone know what they are called, so I can look it up?  How do I delete TB8MTX2 - it doesn't exist?

1 hour ago, margolenny said:

We bought a magnetic trackable XXXXXX to put on the back of our vehicle, but when I tried to activate it changed to TB8MTX2.  I can't find XXXXXX when I try to log it?  How do I activate it?  Does anyone know what they are called, so I can look it up?  How do I delete TB8MTX2 - it doesn't exist?

I edited your tracking number in my reply, since that should be a secret number.  In the Trackable search page, typing "TB8MTX2", your TB comes up.  As Isonzo Karst mentioned, each Trackable has both a reference number for public display (usually starts with "TB"), and a secret Tracking Number (six letters and numbers). 

People can find your TB page by using the Reference Number and even make a Note log, but to make an official Discover log, they must use the secret Tracking Number seen on your car's magnetic sign. 

Here's my car TB page as an example.  The Tracking Number in this example is edited and fake, because the real one is supposed to be a secret, only seen when viewing the trackable item in person.  Other cachers see only the Reference Number when viewing a TB page.  But either number will bring up the page.

tbUntitled-1.jpg

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 1
4 hours ago, margolenny said:

We bought a magnetic trackable <XXXXX> to put on the back of our vehicle, but when I tried to activate it changed to TB8MTX2.  I can't find <XXXXXX> when I try to log it?  How do I activate it?  Does anyone know what they are called, so I can look it up?  How do I delete TB8MTX2 - it doesn't exist?

Much of what you need to know about Trackable basics.

A lot of people confuse the Reference Number with the Tracking Code. Not sure why, I feel it's pretty clear in the Help Center.   

Doesn't your Dog Tag come up when you type in it's reference number ?  It did when I typed it in.

It says " in the hands of the owner", which is correct.   It's already activated to say that.    :)

When someone notices your trackable and logs it,  you'll see everything's (sorta) fine. 

- If me, I'd put a bit more information on your Trackable than you currently have (under "Edit This Trackable" on the right of the page).  ;)

• Helpful 1

This isn't a dog tag TB.  It's a car magnetic 2.75" x 7" bug.  It's not listed on the Trackable basics page. I received it as a gift and can't figure out how to set it up in Geocaching.  I've seen them on other vehicles.

I do have a dog tag TB that I will assign a goal to when I register it.  I'm afraid to do anything with it until I get the car magnet figured out.

1 hour ago, margolenny said:

This isn't a dog tag TB.  It's a car magnetic 2.75" x 7" bug.  It's not listed on the Trackable basics page. I received it as a gift and can't figure out how to set it up in Geocaching.  I've seen them on other vehicles.

I do have a dog tag TB that I will assign a goal to when I register it.  I'm afraid to do anything with it until I get the car magnet figured out.

What you've got is slightly different than a typical TB that various Geocachers bring to caches around the world.  You will probably keep the TB dogtag in a safe place, and you invite Geocachers to "Discover" your TB car magnet when they see it when traveling.  The only time anyone has ever discovered my car TB is at a Geocaching Event when they see it in the parking lot (partly because my magnet sign is not always in view, except for select Events).  I have seen a TB magnet or two while driving, but I wasn't able to read the codes to log them.

14 hours ago, margolenny said:

I understand.  We do have fellow geocaching/camping friends.  I've seen a couple of these in campgrounds on vehicles and never knew how to log them.  The bug emblem is obvious so I'm thinking others will ask us about it.

I walk up n down the parking lot before an event (or when I'm jonesing for a smoke) and write all codes I spot on a notepad.  

- Most these days just snap a pic with their phones.   You aren't that far away, maybe I'll spot it sometime.    :)

We find more are starting to reuse their codes from long-lost trackables, and created a decal for it (the other 2/3rds has a code on her Harley).