Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Mausers72

Wherigo for a class

Hello all!  I'm going to try and explain my predicament as eloquently as I can.  I am in informal educator at a very large, well visited zoological park.  Needless to say, we get a lot of field trips.  We're hoping to include something like a Wherigo as a post class activity for teachers and their students.  Something that can be done at their own pace, but still expand on what they learned in a class here at the Zoo as well inserting a little fun.

Now here comes my conundrum.  We'd like to be able to do this without requiring people to set up a Geocaching account (I know it's free, but it's extra steps people probably won't take) or taking time out of a crunched schedule to create burner accounts that may or may not be used.  We don't fit under the right category to qualify for an institutional account.  We've talked doing GPS or iPad loaner programs, but as I'm sure anyone reading this will understand, there's a huge amount of risk involved that management isn't quite sure they want to take.

Hopefully that makes sense.  Anyone have success with something like this?

I should add we've considered setting up a basic account for our programs, but there's concern about giving out passwords to the public.

Your best advice for this is going to be found in the Wherigo section of the forum here I'm sure the ever helpful Ranger Fox will cme to your aid .

His Wherigo  foundation and 'kit' Wherigo builder may well be the answers you need.

To run a Wherigo cartridge, your users will have to download an app, but it may be possible for you to make your cartridge available to them without any signing up to geocaching ... I'm not certain about this, but I know I was able to have friends field test a cartridge I made before it was published, I downloaded the cartridge to my computer and sent it to them via e-mail.

Thank you!  I will cross post over on the Wherigo forum.