GPSMAP 64 (WebUpdater) software version 5.20 (March 07, 2019)

Red90

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=6805

Changes made from version 5.10 to 5.20:

• Fixed possible issues with Borneo RSO position format.
  • Fixed issue where Basecamp could not import GPX files that were wirelessly transferred to the device.

So, first a 64 does not have any wireless capability....  That aside, if we were talking about a 64S or 64SC, there is no way currently to transfer a GPX file to the devices, is there?

They 64S and SC have bluetooth as well as ANT+.  The 64 has nothing.  When they were released, they had an app called Basecamp Mobile which had limited data transfer capability.  Since then, the only app that connects wirelessly is Connect.  It can offload information, but has no ability to send information to the GPS (AFAIK).

The units have the hardware to allow wireless data transfer, there is just no software.

1 hour ago, Red90 said:

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=6805

So, first a 64 does not have any wireless capability....  That aside, if we were talking about a 64S or 64SC, there is no way currently to transfer a GPX file to the devices, is there?

1 hour ago, Moun10Bike said:

Could they be referring to the "Share Wirelessly" feature (which I believe is ANT+ based)? This is separate from the wi-fi connection capabilities of more recent models.

28 minutes ago, Red90 said:

They 64S and SC have bluetooth as well as ANT+.  The 64 has nothing.  When they were released, they had an app called Basecamp Mobile which had limited data transfer capability.  Since then, the only app that connects wirelessly is Connect.  It can offload information, but has no ability to send information to the GPS (AFAIK).

The units have the hardware to allow wireless data transfer, there is just no software.

The GPSMAP 64, 64s, and 64st all use the same firmware file. Of course, the 64 has no wireless capability, thus this does not affect those units for wirelessly transferred data. But the 64s and 64st do have the Share Wirelessly application.

There was also a simultaneous update for the GPSMAP 64sc, which also has Share Wirelessly capabilities.

GPSrChive > GPSMAP 64 > Firmware

GPSrChive > GPSMAP 64 > Function > {model} > Pages

GPSrChive > GPSMAP 64 > Garmin Video > GPSMAP 64: Wireless Data Transfer

Edited by Atlas Cached
5 minutes ago, Red90 said:

So I checked and the update does not fix the problem with Basecamp reading the files.  The files that are stored from the wireless transfers are no different before and after the update.

Did you delete and re-send those GPX files to the GPSMAP 64 from another Garmin GPSr via Share Wirelessly?

So.  I played with the GPX file and it is the web link in the waypoint that is causing problems with Basecamp.  Remove the link and it opens.  Interestingly, if I try to add a Web Link to a waypoint in Basecamp, it crashes...

Some more playing.  After you try and import a bad file, you need to reboot the computer for Basecamp and Mapsource to work properly again.  Anyway, the 64S is saving the web link incorrectly.  It is using <url></url> which is not valid in GPX.

Edited by Red90

If it is just a regular waypoint, it works.  A waypoint with a web link like a child waypoint does not work.  Tracks and Geocaches seem fine.  So maybe they fixed something, but not everything.

As stated, I now can't send anything with the 64S.  You would think the programmers could spend ten minutes testing the firmware....

So I checked the other handhelds I have around, Colorado 300 and Etrex 30X.  Child waypoints received are the same with the same <url> problem that won't open in Basecamp.  I assume then that all Garmins have the same programming error.  At least both of them send and receive without crashing....

58 minutes ago, Red90 said:

If it is just a regular waypoint, it works.  A waypoint with a web link like a child waypoint does not work.  Tracks and Geocaches seem fine.  So maybe they fixed something, but not everything.

As stated, I now can't send anything with the 64S.  You would think the programmers could spend ten minutes testing the firmware....

Did your GPSMAP 64s also crash after the 'Send' failed?

My 64sc is doing the same thing.

Oh, and if you see Garmin Express tell you there is a GPS Chipset Type M5 (1621) Update for your GPSMAP 64s, Do Not Allow It!

4 hours ago, klaszlo89 said:

Same here. At the beginning of the sending. 

Do you think this gonna be fixed in the future? 

Who knows.  I would suggest you report it to them.  The more reports, the better the chance it will get addressed.

18 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

URL issue?

On 3/9/2019 at 7:07 AM, Red90 said:

So.  I played with the GPX file and it is the web link in the waypoint that is causing problems with Basecamp.  Remove the link and it opens.  Interestingly, if I try to add a Web Link to a waypoint in Basecamp, it crashes...

Some more playing.  After you try and import a bad file, you need to reboot the computer for Basecamp and Mapsource to work properly again.  Anyway, the 64S is saving the web link incorrectly.  It is using <url></url> which is not valid in GPX.

It is when you send child waypoints.  It included a web link using <url> which is not valid and that caused Basecamp and Mapsource to crash.  With the new firmware, it has removed that.

Edited by Red90