Removing a missing trackable from inventory

IMGOIN2

There are a couple of previous discussions on this topic, but they don't pertain to my particular problem.  I placed a trackable in California two years ago, and there are several logs of the cache indicating that the trackable is gone.  I doubt messages to early finders would produce any results, and want to clear it out of my inventory.  Is this possible?

29 minutes ago, CCSGA said:

I placed a trackable in California two years ago, and there are several logs of the cache indicating that the trackable is gone.  I doubt messages to early finders would produce any results, and want to clear it out of my inventory.  Is this possible?

Sure.  You can mark it missing.

Go to the trackable's page.  On the right side of the screen, you should see a column.  At the bottom of the column is a section marked "Actions."  One of the actions available to you as the trackable owner is to mark it missing.  That will take it out of the cache inventory.  (This option is also available to the owner of the cache it's in.)

Capture.JPG

1 hour ago, CCSGA said:

There are a couple of previous discussions on this topic, but they don't pertain to my particular problem.  I placed a trackable in California two years ago, and there are several logs of the cache indicating that the trackable is gone.  I doubt messages to early finders would produce any results, and want to clear it out of my inventory.  Is this possible?

Agree with NanCycle, if you properly placed the trackable in a cache, it would be in the cache's inventory, but will still show you own it.

As hzoi says, simply mark it missing and it won't show in that cache's inventory any longer.   :)

If you're looking to delete all that trackable's  info entirely from the system, realize that would  affect all cachers who logged it earlier too.

You can "reuse" that trackable's code whenever you'd like.

It looks like it was this one, which had indeed been logged into a cache in California. The OP has now marked it as missing.

The cache it was dropped in is pretty heavily-trafficked with over 5000 finds, which means there are just that many more finders who don't know the proper way to deal with trackables. I try to avoid dropping trackables in caches like that unless it's the trackable's goal, like one I dropped in the HQ cache.

19 hours ago, NanCycle said:

OK I'm really confused about what the OP was trying to accomplish.   The CO had already marked it missing so it wasn't in the OP's inventory or the cache inventory .

Good point. I missed that the CO had already marked it. At that point, there was really nothing to be done unless the OP wanted to reuse the code on a new item and could then "grab" it to get it back into their inventory in order to get it going again.

1 hour ago, The A-Team said:

Good point. I missed that the CO had already marked it. At that point, there was really nothing to be done unless the OP wanted to reuse the code on a new item and could then "grab" it to get it back into their inventory in order to get it going again.

Yeah, but what he said was " want to clear it out of my inventory."  Maybe he meant "I want to completely delete it from my account as though I had never owned it at all."  

24 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

It's really annoying that there are so many people who post a question (particularly a mis-worded question) and never come back to the thread to clarify their meaning, or to say "Thank you" for the information they were given. 

Sorry, wrong thread... ;)

38 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

It's really annoying that there are so many people who post a question (particularly a mis-worded question) and never come back to the thread to clarify their meaning, or to say "Thank you" for the information they were given. 

Based on what I've seen some people say in the past, I think many new posters assume that they'll be notified of replies to their post (ie. emailed). However, other than some notifications within the forum system, by default this isn't the case. I bet a lot of them think their question was never answered and never come back to look.

• Upvote 2

hello, i was searcing "how to mark a TB as missing?" and it led me here. im trying to do as user HZOI indicated above with a screenshot, but im not getting the option on my dropdown menu.. here's what im looking at. Can anybody help? Am I forgetting to do something or making a mistake? thank you in advance :-)

im trying to update my account and clean up my inventory lists 

missingPERCYpenguin TB.png

8 minutes ago, FISHT@IL said:

hello, i was searcing "how to mark a TB as missing?" and it led me here. im trying to do as user HZOI indicated above with a screenshot, but im not getting the option on my dropdown menu.. here's what im looking at. Can anybody help? Am I forgetting to do something or making a mistake? thank you in advance :-)

missingPERCYpenguin TB.png

That one is already marked Missing.  A "Missing" trackable is in the inventory of the "Unknown Location".  But it seems like some logs for that tag are also missing. ;)

1578166297_missingPERCYpenguinTB.thumb.png.jpg

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, FISHT@IL said:

You or a cache owner marked it missing already as shown in your example (Unknown Location means "missing"). 

It seems you deleted a log or two also, or the last log wouldn't be just someone leaving a note that it's not there.

• Helpful 1

It was probably moved to an Unknown location by HQ, automatically.  That doesn't generate a log. See the article on this Missing Trackable

• A trackable may automatically be moved to an Unknown Location if all three conditions are true:
  1. The trackable has been in the same geocache for more than one year.
  2. The trackable has not been logged in more than one year.
  3. There have been at least four finds on different days on the geocache in which the trackable is located.
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

ok, thank you all.  i don't remember deleting any of the logs.. however the app on my phone has been acting glitchy in correspondence with the actual website when viewed in my internet browser. i might've accidentally marked something before..

I think this TB is long gone, best i can tell is that it was last in a cache that was broken and emptied by muggles. Thank you for your advice

15 hours ago, FISHT@IL said:

ok, thank you all.  i don't remember deleting any of the logs...

I forget because it isn't regular, but a sporadic thing, but Isonzo Karst may be correct (see the link on their post) that the "auto correct" algorithm for trackables deleted it for you.

It was created to "fix" trackable inventories, when many complained CO/TOs weren't marking long-gone trackables missing. 

No log since '15, it's possible.     :)