Premium membership

5 hours ago, dealfarms1 said:

I'm not sure I need/want a premium membership, convince me otherwise.

If you're comfortable and having fun with mostly 1.5/1.5s , I agree, maybe you don't need it.  That's up to you. 

Why should anyone here want to convince you ?  We don't have anything riding on it...    :laughing:

The site does time-to-time offer free-trial PMs.  You could contact them to ask here.

• Helpful 1
47 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

If you're comfortable and having fun with mostly 1.5/1.5s , I agree, maybe you don't need it.  That's up to you. 

Why should anyone here want to convince you ?  We don't have anything riding on it...    :laughing:

The site does time-to-time offer free-trial PMs.  You could contact them to ask here.

2 hours ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

Try it for free to see if you like it.  Take a look at this post and get a free trial membership.

Thanks to both of y'all for the information.

13 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

This restriction for basic members applies only when using the smartphone app from Groundspeak on a mobile device.

When using a web browser (www.geocaching.com) basic member can access all caches independent of their D and T rating. Only caches set to "Premium Only" by the cache owner can neither be accessed by the app or by the browser.

This also applies when using a web browser on a mobile device or using other smartphone apps from third parties (which might have other restrictions depending on the premium status of the user).

22 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

8 hours ago, Hynz said:

This restriction for basic members applies only when using the smartphone app from Groundspeak on a mobile device.

When using a web browser (www.geocaching.com) basic member can access all caches independent of their D and T rating. Only caches set to "Premium Only" by the cache owner can neither be accessed by the app or by the browser.

This also applies when using a web browser on a mobile device or using other smartphone apps from third parties (which might have other restrictions depending on the premium status of the user).

I didn't say anything about restrictions.  Last I remember, the restriction is now 2/2 on the app....

The person I responded to has done mostly 1.5/1.5s and I was agreeing with them.

It didn't used to be this way –but, "a now planet-wide operation, such as Geocaching.Com has now become, does require a revenue stream."  (The cost-equation throughout the Internet is very different from what it was in earlier, more-innocent days ...)  We have been Premium members for many years and consider the business proposition to be very fair.  We feel that we get what we paid for and then some.  Your Mileage May Vary.™

Edited by Team Bear-Cat
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 9:11 AM, Hynz said:

Sorry for the hijack, but new to all this and was also debating whether purchasing the premium package would be worthwhile. However, can I ask what a 'D and T rating' is ?

6 minutes ago, ChrisBennett said:

Sorry for the hijack, but new to all this and was also debating whether purchasing the premium package would be worthwhile. However, can I ask what a 'D and T rating' is ?

D stands for Difficulty (1 to 5)

T stands for Terrain (1 to 5)

See more here.

Edited by RuideAlmeida
  • Helpful 2

It takes money to run geocaching, so we all need to support it. Membership is a way of supporting it. I pay membership, because I want geocaching to continue. If someone can afford a phone and can afford the luxury of paying for data (until last year I couldn't justify the expense of data. I had bought a GPS ( a one off expense), which in the long run was cheaper than paying for data) you can afford a geocaching membership. Support the game and pay for a membership.

• Upvote 3

We know a couple folks who've never been PMs, cached for years, and have extensive trackable collections.  Coins ain't cheap. 

We also know many who have numerous maintained caches out for others to find.  That costs time and money too.

We use little of our PM (notifications mostly), and figure our membership is helping the site stay free for those basic members who contribute in other ways. :)

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Just in general, compared to most hobbies, a cost for a premium membership of about $30 per year is incredibly cheap.  And having been in the IT business, hosting and maintaining a website with a few million entries does cost some money. 

The premium members are the ones supporting the basic members who still do get a lot of service for free.  That's OK, because people need to initially get involved for free.  But then complaining about something as trivial as $30 a year to keep the thing going  is silly.  In comparison, what does your Smartphone data plan cost you each month?  Makes $30 a year seem cheap.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1