Magellan with wrong coordinates for geocaches

I have searched this site but can't find an answer to my issue.

I have a Magellan eXplorist 110. I can get the Geocaches onto my GPS from the site in gpx format. However the coordinates are wrong.

For example with this cache: https://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC4PNPB

has the coordinates of N 45° 16.239' W 066° 05.974' but my GSP give me N 45,16.14.3 W66.05.58.4.

There was no issue when the site offered an option to download to Magellan.  

Is there a setting that I need to change on my GSP? The tech manual for this device is quite uninformative.

Or is there a conversion that I need to do? If so, can someone give me the step by step. I am not very technical, but follow instructions.

4 minutes ago, M1rrodin said:

but my GSP give me N 45,16.14.3 W66.05.58.4.

No. Your GPSr apparently gives you N 45° 16' 14.3" W66° 05' 58.4" (ie: Degrees Minutes and Seconds)

As 60 seconds equals 1 minute => 58.4 seconds equals .974 minutes.

Change your Magellan's coordinate settings to show the coordinates in the format Degrees Decimalminutes.

Hans

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 5:38 PM, M1rrodin said:

Thank you! That did fix the coordinates.

Some caches are still showing in the water when they should not. However, I'll go onsite with my phone to compare.

Just to be clear, the coordinates were correct all along. It's just the format in which they were being displayed that was different. Think of it like referring to the time 12:30 as "twelve thirty" or "half past twelve". Both refer to the same time, but in different ways.

If you have caches that are showing as being in water, there are a few possibilities:

• The cache really is there. It could be attached to a buoy, or it could be underwater.
  • It could be the bogus coordinates of a puzzle cache, where you're supposed to solve the puzzle to determine the real coordinates. (I see a few like this in the Saint John area)
  • The cache listing has bad coordinates (unlikely, because the reviewer would probably catch a mistake like that).
  • The maps on your device aren't sufficiently detailed and/or updated to know that the spot is actually dry land.