downloading other countries to our Garmin GPS

QuiltinAnnie

https://www.geocaching.com/play/search?origin=South+Island,+New+Zealand&ot=1&g=86

There area over 14,000 caches - that would require 15 date ranged pocket queries.

Project GC will provide you with the dates to use, so you get all the caches in batches of ~990 each

https://project-gc.com/Tools/pqsplit?multi_countryregion[]=New+Zealand|South+Island&submit=Filter

• Helpful 1
19 minutes ago, Isonzo Karst said:

https://www.geocaching.com/play/search?origin=South+Island,+New+Zealand&ot=1&g=86

There area over 14,000 caches - that would require 15 date ranged pocket queries.

Project GC will provide you with the dates to use, so you get all the caches in batches of ~990 each

https://project-gc.com/Tools/pqsplit?multi_countryregion[]=New+Zealand|South+Island&submit=Filter

Thank you!  That is very helpful.  But now we don't know how to download the pocket query we have made onto the GPS.  Can you help us with that also?

After creating the PQ and saving it, look at the preview. If you're happy with that, select a day to run the PQ. Wait for the email saying your PQ is ready and go downloading it. Unzip the PQ so you get 2 GPX files (name1.gpx and name1_waypoints.gpx or someyhing similar). Copy the two files to the garmin/gpx folder on your GPS... done...

2 hours ago, QuiltinAnnie said:

Thank you!  That is very helpful.  But now we don't know how to download the pocket query we have made onto the GPS.  Can you help us with that also?

For that many it would be best to use garmin POIs. Check the GSAK forums on how to do that.

36 minutes ago, FunnyNose said:

For that many it would be best to use garmin POIs. Check the GSAK forums on how to do that.

Nope. If using GSAK best is to populate the database (PQ's or "get geocaches" via API for NZ + South Island) and use garminexport macro to export as GGZ with addtional WPs as POI. Since there's a daily limit with the new API of 16000 calls/24 hours you could get the 14000 caches in one go. If you need more than 16000 then unselect one or more cachetypes and get them the next day.

9 hours ago, FunnyNose said:

For that many it would be best to use garmin POIs

No. it wouldn't as you will lose all the specific geocaching skills that your unit is aware of: reading hints, reading logs, logging the caches and creating a field notes file for logging on Groundspeak's site.

Hans

2 hours ago, msrubble said:

Be sure to check how many geocaches your Garmin can hold. You may want to filter out some caches if the whole island is too many.

Not an issue when using GGZ files. The new (last few years) Garmins will hold 10's of 1000 of caches. My Oregon 600 didn't even slow down with all Danish caches (26000 at that time) loaded.

19 hours ago, HHL said:

No. it wouldn't as you will lose all the specific geocaching skills that your unit is aware of: reading hints, reading logs, logging the caches and creating a field notes file for logging on Groundspeak's site.

Hans

If you use the correct GSAK macro you don't lose anything except field notes, which I find useless. much quicker to jot a note in small log book that I keep with my GPSr.

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 9:24 PM, msrubble said:

Be sure to check how many geocaches your Garmin can hold. You may want to filter out some caches if the whole island is too many.

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 11:40 PM, on4bam said:

Not an issue when using GGZ files. The new (last few years) Garmins will hold 10's of 1000 of caches. My Oregon 600 didn't even slow down with all Danish caches (26000 at that time) loaded.

Number of Geocaches generally isn't the problem. Number of waypoints (the name_waypoints.gpx file) can be a problem because they count towards the GPSr's total number of waypoints. My Garmin can easily hold the 29,000 caches in Washington State, but can only hold 5000 waypoints. I have become more selective in which waypoints files I copied so that they didn't instantly overfill my GPSr.

Edited by Windstorm+
22 minutes ago, Windstorm+ said:

Number of Geocaches generally isn't the problem. Number of waypoints (the name_waypoints.gpx file) can be a problem because they count towards the GPSr's total number of waypoints. My Garmin can easily hold the 29,000 caches in Washington State, but can only hold 5000 waypoints. I have become more selective in which waypoints files I copied so that they didn't instantly overfill my GPSr.

Well, using GSAK and the garminexport macro there's no issue at all. Export of caches is a GGZ file (unlimited, they say.. but 10's of thousands or more) and WPs are exported as POI which can be found under Extra > and then subcategories like virtual wp, parking, final... and so on. So WP's are not an issue if done right ;)

It all depends on what model the TS is using.

• Upvote 1