Returning after a couple of years. Wheres the upload to Device thing gone?

jonny the fox

So, im returning after a couple of years. I have an Oregon 550 and I can remember uploading cache details individually by clicking on an 'UPLOAD TO DEVICE' button.

That button seems to have gone and all I have now is a DOWNLOAD GPX option.

Do i just save them all to my PC and then drag them into the device folder where all my old GPX files still sit?

Regards

Jon

24 minutes ago, jonny the fox said:

Do i just save them all to my PC and then drag them into the device folder where all my old GPX files still sit?

Basically... yes!
The old methods proven to have various security issues and were not compatible with newer browsers.

Take a look here.

Edited by RuideAlmeida
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Same problems with my etrex Vista HCx which is now rendered useless because of the "download GPX" button. I hit the button and don't have a clue where they go. I don't want to become a computer hacker, I just want things to work. Garmin Express says my GPS isn't supported after I shelled out a lot of green for it because it was recommended by Geocaching.com as being a good GPS for geocaching. My premium membership renewal is coming up but I guess I won't do that if I can't load the geocaches anymore. I had a good run of nearlly 1000 finds,  and enjoyed it, but, sadly, I guess I have to find a new hobby. Despite the old problems of finding a browser that still supported the downloads, at least I could still get them - now I am up the creek. I can't shell out another $500 for a newer device when the old one still works fine. Oh well. Maddmonk

11 hours ago, Maddmonk said:

Same problems with my etrex Vista HCx which is now rendered useless because of the "download GPX" button. I hit the button and don't have a clue where they go. I don't want to become a computer hacker, I just want things to work. Garmin Express says my GPS isn't supported after I shelled out a lot of green for it because it was recommended by Geocaching.com as being a good GPS for geocaching. My premium membership renewal is coming up but I guess I won't do that if I can't load the geocaches anymore. I had a good run of nearlly 1000 finds,  and enjoyed it, but, sadly, I guess I have to find a new hobby. Despite the old problems of finding a browser that still supported the downloads, at least I could still get them - now I am up the creek. I can't shell out another $500 for a newer device when the old one still works fine. Oh well.

My GPSr was "recommended" in '06 IIRC...     I don't expect them to still claim that recommendation today.  :D

I understand your frustration, but no offense, you found 9 caches last year.  You don't need to buy a newer GPSr to still play.

Not sure what hacking has to do with anything, but why not just load caches manually if you don't want to learn the new methods ?

Takes less than two minutes per cache, a simple pocket notepad for basic stuff (hints, maybe D/T...), and you're good.  :)  

I've been caching that way since I started.  Still using a long-discontinued GPSr (60csx) too. 

Later , if you have a smartphone, you might find it works better, and just use the app whenever you want to play . 

Good luck.

• Helpful 3