Quiz App/Mystery Cache?

bigjim4life

Hello all,

I have a handful of GC hides and have another idea for a mystery hide of some sort.  In order to learn about a particular location/item, I want to create an online quiz - where people have to get 'X' number of questions right during the quiz, (one of which can only be solved by getting a detail from an object at the posted coordinates) - when they do, the final cache coordinates are revealed.  Two questions, to those of you who are active on here, have you seen other caches using a method like this?  If so, where would I go online to create a good, free quiz like this for this purpose? 

Another possibility would be to have the quiz answer(s) produce a keyword of some sort, and then use a solution checker like Certitude that allows keyword solutions. If the seeker enters the correct keyword, then the solution checker returns the final coordinates.

1 hour ago, hzoi said:

There's an entire category of geocaches that function like this: Wherigo.

Good point.  I'd skipped over the bit about "detail from an object at the posted coordinates".  A Wherigo cartridge could certainly do the job.

I've even completed a couple of play-anywhere cartridges that were simply multiple choice quizzes - no location-based elements until the final coords were revealed.  I have to say, as Wherigos, they were a little disappointing.

Edited by IceColdUK
57 minutes ago, niraD said:
3 hours ago, hzoi said:

There's an entire category of geocaches that function like this: Wherigo.

And Intercaches work similarly, except they use your mobile browser and data connection, rather than using an app.

That's right, intercaches.  Yes.  They seem to have fallen out of style, but they'd foot the bill. 

(Wherigo ain't exactly cutting edge these days, either.)

3 hours ago, hzoi said:

That's right, intercaches.  Yes.  They seem to have fallen out of style, but they'd foot the bill. 

Intercaches are just like Adventure Lab caches with physical container. I also feel that Intercaches are fallen out of style. Why?

So then which would be the one to do?  Honestly, they don't have to be at the specific coordinates when they answer the question, but they would need to know a specific detail of something at that spot (so maybe they could research it and then finish the quiz part later).

37 minutes ago, bigjim4life said:

So then which would be the one to do?  Honestly, they don't have to be at the specific coordinates when they answer the question, but they would need to know a specific detail of something at that spot (so maybe they could research it and then finish the quiz part later).

Intercache is much more easier to build and practically every smartphone works with them. Wherigo is not as compatible and the learning curve is much steeper. Both of them are technically very suitable for your idea.

2 hours ago, bigjim4life said:

If you do a Wherigo, those of us who use certain GPSr can play them.  My Oregon will not do an intercache.

On 3/1/2019 at 12:22 AM, niraD said:

Another possibility would be to have the quiz answer(s) produce a keyword of some sort, and then use a solution checker like Certitude that allows keyword solutions. If the seeker enters the correct keyword, then the solution checker returns the final coordinates.

GeoCheck is another possibility.

What is an intercache?