Weird order when logging from the app VS other methods

liveanimals

This past weekend we found 10 caches on the way home from vacation but for some reason, the second find of the day always jumps to the top of the list under Geocache logs, even as other caches were logged after that one was submitted. Anyone had a similar issue with logs through the app VS logs through another app or direct to the website? 

Some details: the cache in question, Flower (GC7RJK7) was logged as a draft on the official GC.com Android app, with the draft published (also through the app) later in the day (after maybe 4 finds). Have used the official app in the past, but not with drafts - I typically use c:geo for caching with a Moto Z2 smartphone, but with the current issues with c:geo, I used the official app for the first couple finds. I like to leave detailed logs, so usual procedure is to save a draft log in whatever app I'm using with a couple of quick reminder bullets, and go back through in chronological order and flesh out the log/publish when I have a chance. This has always resulted in accurate order. Completed the logs for the morning's finds after lunch while my daughter was exploring the library, then began to notice that Flower kept at the top of the list as the most recent find, despite logging some afterwards (both from drafts started in afternoon and a few Earthcaches logged from the computer the next day. It's still at the top of the list now, but I haven't found anything since that Saturday to see if the trend would continue past that specific date. 

One disclaimer: yes, I realize I'm being anal about order here and at the end of the day, none of the finds that day are milestones, so it's not a big deal if there's no resolution.

One possible idea I just thought of: is it possible c:geo saves drafts with a timestamp and the official app only saves the date? Would that result in a log from the official app being treated as if it were posted at the very end of the day? 

As c:geo is an unauthorized app, any issues you may experience while using it are ultimately your problem.

There is a different synch between the official geocaching app and the website.  The app tends to lag.  I will use the app to find caches occasionally, but I always open the cache's web page in my browser to log to avoid the synch issue.

1 hour ago, hzoi said:

As c:geo is an unauthorized app, any issues you may experience while using it are ultimately your problem.

The TS stated he didn't use c:geo.. the problem is the long standing issue with time on GS servers. This wouldn't be an issue if UTC would be used systemwide including apps and other software. Since logs also have an ID number that may be a better way to sort caches instead of the unreliable time method.

5 hours ago, on4bam said:
7 hours ago, hzoi said:

The TS stated he didn't use c:geo.. the problem is the long standing issue with time on GS servers. This wouldn't be an issue if UTC would be used systemwide including apps and other software. Since logs also have an ID number that may be a better way to sort caches instead of the unreliable time method.

You are right - I did not read the post carefully enough.  I thought it was a mix of c:geo and app logs.  My mistake.

To the OP: sorry, disregard my first comment above.  The second one may still be useful, though.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Lynx Humble said:

This issue is low priority for GS even if this would be an easy fix.

Lackeys have said that Groundspeak doesn't want to apply patches to all the different manifestations of their broken handling of times and dates and timezones. They want to fix the entire time and date and timezone system once, rather than create lots of disruptive changes that just change the way it's broken, but don't actually fix it.

That is definitely not an easy fix.

The issue in the OP's case is that the draft log was given a time stamp at the time the draft was recorded (which ended up being 12:34 PM), while all of the other logs posted by them that day appear to have been posted via a regular log on the web site. Web site logs default to a time stamp of noon since the browser doesn't have the same concept of time that a phone does. This is why the log for that one cache shows up out of order from the rest - in this case, after all of the others.

• Helpful 2