Portland Cache Recommendations

bitbrain

I'm hoping to make a trip to Portland in mid to late July. What are the don't come to Portland without hitting these caches?

I'll only be there a week, so I'll limit myself to about 75 hunts. I'd rather hunt quality than quantity, though.

My preferred cache types are (1)Regular, (2)Multi, (3)Micro

Thanks!

75 quality hunts in Portland would probably take more than a week, unless that is all you do while you are here... icon_wink.gif

Here are a few:

Easy walks

What A Waste - Shameless plug

Larch Mountain Picnic

Coyote Ugly

Elk Meadow

Three in downtown that are nice walks (all micros)

Time Machine

Urban Art

Urban Walkabout

A few of our best puzzle caches. Start now if you wanna hunt these, you can solve the puzzles without being here...

Frodo's Ring (The Path to Torech Ungol) - Oops, you gotta be here to solve this one, but is a good one.

The Contact Cache

The Play's The Thing - This is a toughy, as you can tell by the logs icon_wink.gif

Pi - Also a toughy

Red Pill or Blue Pill

I am sure other folks will supply others to fill your time as well...

Hope you enjoy your visit to our fair city.

My mind not only wanders...

Sometimes it leaves completely...

**Namaste**

Rule 1 for visitors to Portland: if the cache is in the Columbia Gorge, go for it! Just being in the Gorge is enough, the caches are extra! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Then at the end of the day, ask the locals exactly where Edgefield is. Then go there to relax, enjoy the beer and the food and the places to sit and the pub and the theater and just the coolness of the whole place. Worthy of a stay. icon_smile.gif

-Elana (a.k.a. "Sparrowhawk")

I'm not a big fan of micros myself but I have to second bazzle when he says:

Urban Walkabout

Time Machine and

Urban Art

Do walkabout on a Saturday and you will pass by the Portland farmers market, several times. You will not be dissapointed.

ANY of the caches in the Columbia River Gorge are great. Here's one: Old Mill Pond

And last but not least, there is Oregone's (instrumental version). Oregone is our local rogue. If there is mischief about the Portlandia cache scene, Oregone will not be far away and this cache a perfect example. I'm sure a few mp3's could be sent your way if it interests you.

And the dragon comes in the NNIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGHHHHH!!

I still think that Demonhead Flats is a must-do portland cache. Good puzzle, good location.

I don't think i've done any good portland geocaches since april, so i'm probably not the best source.

You can try my 2925, but it's looking pretty impossible nowadays.

You can head out to Hood River and do the pipeline, since it's #3 on my all-time favorites. While you're in Hood River, maybe you could check out the Full Sail Brewing Company. The food's not all that great, but they're going to start brewing Henry's out there. It's nice to see Henry's finally get back to Oregon.

If you're really looking to get 75 in one week in the portland area, then i'd go ahead and map out 65 easy beaverton/hillsboro/tigard/lake oswego ones for the first two days, then spend the next five days looking for 10 spectacular ones.

I mean, how many times to you get to see this in tennessee?

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

quote:
Originally posted by oregone:

I still think that http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=ebf67bdf-9090-4e0b-9c67-bec31c5208e6 is a must-do portland cache. Good puzzle, good location.

I don't think i've done any good portland geocaches since april, so i'm probably not the best source.

You can try my http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=43463, but it's looking pretty impossible nowadays.

You can head out to Hood River and do http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=4428ecf7-8d19-44c4-992d-b2498b513a91, since it's #3 on my all-time favorites. While you're in Hood River, maybe you could check out the Full Sail Brewing Company. The food's not all that great, but they're going to start brewing Henry's out there. It's nice to see Henry's finally get back to Oregon.

If you're really looking to get 75 in one week in the portland area, then i'd go ahead and map out 65 easy beaverton/hillsboro/tigard/lake oswego ones for the first two days, then spend the next five days looking for 10 spectacular ones.

I mean, how many times to you get to see http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=2915adf4-8138-4780-89c5-bc6f450e4142 in tennessee?

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

Yep, the ARches cache looks like a great one! It was on my list when I was down last, but ran out of time! The puzzle one looks interesting to me. I have yet to hit Portland proper for caches so I'll be keeping an eye on this post.

I think all the really good ones have been mentioned, and I agree that you need to get out to the Gorge (40 minutes east of Portland) for some really spectacular caches. Don't pass up the un-original cache, and boast that you were at the place where it all began.

This thread sadly reminds me that I've got to finish that Portland Geocaching page I've been working on. Anyone here know enough about PHP and mySQL to help me through the last little bit? It's real close.

I doubt that I will be sufficiently prepared for a PacNW HydroCache, but I may take a look at this one (Nehalem) anyway. Looks like much more 'fun' than 2925. That thing just looks insane. icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by bitbrain on June 28, 2003 at 09:15 AM.]

Wow! One week of caching in Portland just wasn't enough. It took me most of that just to get a good feel for the city. With drives out to the beach, mouth of the Columbia, Mt. Hood, etc, I just didn't have time to hit everything on my list.

Driving through Nehalem, though, I almost stopped & rented a boat. It was only the knowledge that I still had 200+ miles to go that day that stopped me. icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to try for a couple of more before I fly out tomorrow.