Power Trails Disappearing from the Map?

elrojo14

25 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

I know who you mean. I have mixed feelings about those caches. There are more than that image shows, as that blank area in the middle of NSW, is the ACT, and the geocacher has also placed power trails there. I have had a fun day out in company finding some of them, but it has turned me a bit of geocaching at the same time and since they were laid I have done less geocaching. I felt I had the local geocaches under control; most local traditionals found,and my bulk load stretched a wide distance, but now the spread of the bulk load has been about halved.

I just realised I forgot to exclude her archived caches in my project-gc search, so her actual current number in New South Wales is 339, with the next highest being 332 (I've gone back and edited my original post).

Since her departure, the highest individual number on the Central Coast is 40, with those being a geoart series in the Watagan Mountains that MV set up for last year's mega. With 33, I'm fourth on that list.

image.png.86551a2676177cf06ec9134b079460f0.png

22 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

I just realised I forgot to exclude her archived caches in my project-gc search, so her actual current number in New South Wales is 339, with the next highest being 332 (I've gone back and edited my original post).

Since her departure, the highest individual number on the Central Coast is 40, with those being a geoart series in the Watagan Mountains that MV set up for last year's mega. With 33, I'm fourth on that list.

image.png.86551a2676177cf06ec9134b079460f0.png

I'm on the edge of your area Jeff and sometimes it gets included, geographically, as Central Coast and sometimes Hunter Region. I'm not sure how many I have currently, I haven't counted them, but I think its about 70-80.

1 minute ago, colleda said:

I'm on the edge of your area Jeff and sometimes it gets included, geographically, as Central Coast and sometimes Hunter Region. I'm not sure how many I have currently, I haven't counted them, but I think its about 70-80.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the boundary project-gc uses is that between the Central Coast Council (formerly Wyong Shire and Gosford City) and Lake Macquarie City, so it looks like yours are all in the latter.

2 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the boundary project-gc uses is that between the Central Coast Council (formerly Wyong Shire and Gosford City) and Lake Macquarie City, so it looks like yours are all in the latter.

Thank you for the clarification.

2 minutes ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

This is slightly off topic but related to the thread...

Does anyone know how to check who has hidden the most geocaches by region?  I know the cacher stats website shows finders per region. 

Thanks in advance.

See the screenshots in the posts above yours, which were taken on Project-GC.com.

Let's stick to discussing power trails and the recent archival of several of them.  There are many prolific hiders who have never hidden a power trail.

• Upvote 2
On 2/25/2019 at 9:22 AM, Keystone said:

Let's stick to discussing power trails and the recent mass archival action that was taken in regards to several power trails when the owner's account was locked.  Thanks for remaining on topic.

Hmm, were the Power Trails archived BECAUSE the owner's account was locked?  Or did the Cache Owner get harassed by Groundspeak about the Power Trails and he/she said archive them?  Or was there a totally separate issue between the Cache Owner and Groundspeak that could not, or would not, be resolved and the CO quit?  And while rumors are just that, rumors are circulating that the Cache Owner didn't even hide all the Power Trails.  Rumor has it that other cacher's hid the power trails, some from other countries, and asked the CO to list them because the actual hider did not live in the area.  But, again, that is a RUMOR!  Personally, I really enjoy power trails.  The things I have seen and experienced while Power Caching are life long memories.  From herds of Wild Horses to Area 51 Fighter Jets to old mining camps to cattle carcasses picked clean by vultures and the list goes on.  And while you can see these finding one cache, personally, I am not going to drive 500 miles on a highway, and another 20 miles on dirt roads, to find ONE CACHE.  But I will to find 500 caches and spend a fun day with fellow cachers, trading tall tales, sharing a picnic lunch and having an absolutely fun day.  People complain if a cache hider doesn't maintain their cache.  OK, I agree, but to be honest, Power Trail finders keep PT caches in better shape that almost all 'normal caches.'  We all find rusted altoid tins, cracked candy tubes and crumbling tupperware containers.  For power trails, I have personally purchased hundreds of dollars of brand new preforms and 35mm cannisters to put out.  Of my finds, about 25% are power trails and the rest are mostly urban LPC and PUB hides.  I enjoy them both, and I think both have their place.  It is unfortunate that Team Sagebrushers and Groundspeak had some kind of incident that predicated such a mass archival.

2 hours ago, Inmountains said:

And while you can see these finding one cache, personally, I am not going to drive 500 miles on a highway, and another 20 miles on dirt roads, to find ONE CACHE.

That's a shame. Some of my Favorite geocaching experience have involved spending hours in pursuit of a single cache.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2
On 3/1/2019 at 3:41 PM, Mineral2 said:

Project-GC has a function for ranking users by number of hides for a given area. I don't see a world-wide ranking, but here are the top stats for the whole US (these include archived caches):

I checked Germany and the UK as my next suspects for countries that might have large placers, but they top out at <2000 and >3000 respectively. So, at this point, I suspect that Room104 is the new record holder as far as active accounts go. I can't imagine hiding over 1000... nay, even several hundred, without there being power trails.

The US rankings look quite different when applying filters to exclude Archived caches.  When doing so, room104 is ranked #2, since 6000+ of their hides have been Archived.

On 4/11/2019 at 1:27 PM, niraD said:

That's a shame. Some of my Favorite geocaching experience have involved spending hours in pursuit of a single cache.

I have done the same thing, but there were a lot more parameters involved.  How many of us would incur the cost of gas, meals, lodging and more, for an entire week, maybe $1,000.00 or more, just to find ONE CACHE?  Maybe, if it was in the Antarctica and we wanted that country.  But would we do that to find a candy tube hidden under a rock in the middle of the Mojave Desert?  Most of us wouldn't.  But I have done long drives and long days (not a week) to find a cache at 14,000 feet elevation.  Or to get a SPECIAL cache, such as Mingo (GC30) or GCD or GC12 or GC16.  Heck, I even waited in line for over an hour just to sign the log on the Washington State Ape Cache, after a 2 hour hike through the tunnel.  But to get to my point, Power Trails do get us to places we would usually not otherwise go.  The Route 66 Power Trail was the only way I would ever drive Route 66.  Usually, I would just drive Interstate 40.  My only point is that sometimes, Power Trails do provide just another aspect to our wonderful past time.  And while I am sure Team Sagebrushers and Groundspeak had some kind of issue, it is a shame to see so many caches get archived over a dispute.

• Upvote 1

Well I guess there is no reason to visit Nevada any more.  I really enjoyed my time with 5 other guys, working on the ET trail a few years ago.  We were tired, but laughed uncontrollably at times, but we worked together as a team and we had camaraderie.  On top of doing the ET trail, we took a day out to check out Death Valley, staying in Rachel was a real trip, and Tonepah, well, LOL(great great memories).   We saw lots of great country and were a bit scared being out in the SageBrush (pun intended) alone.  The brakes on the van were hotter than we've ever seen before.  It was a blast and we haven't done it since, but a another friend of mine wanted to celebrate his 10,001 find when it happens, by going to Nevada to see what it feels like to get 1000 in a day and to see some wild country.  I guess I will have to cancel that trip now or go to another state.

• Funny 1
On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 2:29 PM, noncentric said:

The US rankings look quite different when applying filters to exclude Archived caches.  When doing so, room104 is ranked #2, since 6000+ of their hides have been Archived.

Found a few of their hides earlier this month when visiting the Minnesota/South Dakota area. I understand now why they were so mundane.

• Upvote 1