Logging a cache

dancer69

I am using a Samsung S6 phone for caching. When I go to log a cache as being found and I want to include travel miles for the multiple travel bugs or coins that I have with me I have to go to use browser or open browser. When I do this the icon on the GPS map does not change from a green symbol to a yellow smiley. Why is this? 

My log does show up on the cache page and I get credit for the find but the icon on a GPS map does not change.

Thanks in advance   dancer 69

On 2/22/2019 at 1:49 PM, dancer69 said:

My log does show up on the cache page and I get credit for the find but the icon on a GPS map does not change.

It sometimes takes a day or two for the smilies to show up in the app.  I found 5 caches today; they show on the website map as smilies; on the phone app they are still the green icons.  The one cache I found yesterday is a smilie.  It seems it takes the app awhile to sync up with the website.

Do they eventually show up on the app map?

Edited by CAVinoGal

If it's the app that is the problem, and not the website, that is smilies are showing up on the website's map but not the app's map, you may need to delete the cache for the geocaching app.

- And by that I don't mean the geocache but the cached files associated with the app. You can get there through the application manager on your phone. (Apologies, I don't have more detailed directions to do this on hand at the moment.)

Edited by Mineral2
  • Upvote 1
On 2/23/2019 at 6:50 PM, Mineral2 said:

If it's the app that is the problem, and not the website, that is smilies are showing up on the website's map but not the app's map, you may need to delete the cache for the geocaching app.

- And by that I don't mean the geocache but the cached files associated with the app. You can get there through the application manager on your phone. (Apologies, I don't have more detailed directions to do this on hand at the moment.)

This is a recent new problem for me. I've used this phone to geocache with for the past two years. My account is auto renewed every year and I use the geocaching app.  Never had any problem with it logging the caches and the cache being shown as found on the web site map. Now when I use the phone to log my finds it doesn't change the cache on the website map to a yellow smiley. So to solve this problem I usually go to the website and log it but then I end up with a double log.

13 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

oh... I think I might know what is happening. When you make your log on the app, check to see that it's not saving as a draft instead of posting the log.

It posts my log as having been found along with my comments, on the cache page but it does not change the green symbol to a smiley on the map page. I will check to see if it's being saved as a draft instead of being posted as you suggested