Gadgetcaches

Carter43

I currently have one (not published).

The cacher finds a birdhouse and opens the roof, revealing a shelf with 3 threads with keyrings on both ends of each. A red, blue, and purple thread. Then, they see nails on the side of the birdhouse in neat rows and columns. They must take each thread and hook the keyring on one of the nails and guide the thread around the nails using a data map. The nails are labeled A-F in rows and 1-6 in columns, much like the game Battleship. The data map or "key" shows the cacher which nails they must guide the thread around. For example: A1, A6, C6, C1, C6, F6, F1. After they guide the thread it becomes a "3". 

Once they do this with each of the 3 threads, they put the numbers together to make the code which opens a combo lock on the side, revealing the container.

• Upvote 1

Another gadget cache I am planning on building is one where the cacher fills a birdhouse with water via a chimney to float a miniature boat to the top, where there is a window to the inside. The boat has a 3 digit code written on the side, which opens a combo lock.

Edited by TwistedCube
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, TwistedCube said:

Another gadget cache I am planning on building is one where the cacher fills a birdhouse with water via a chimney to float a miniature boat to the top, where there is a window to the inside. The boat has a 3 digit code written on the side, which opens a combo lock.

I hope you're poking a hole in the bottom so the water can run out.

The trick is to put your finger over the hole so it fills faster than it empties.

Otherwise, it's a mess.

Also, take pains so they can't turn it over and shake it to get the boat into the window!

The simplest type of gadget cache that I've seen is one of those marble maze puzzle boxes that can be used as a gift box, with cash or a gift card inside. The geocache log goes into the locked compartment, and finders have to solve the marble maze puzzle to unlock the compartment. Unlocking the compartment also moves the marble to the beginning of the maze, so it's ready to solve again.

1 hour ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

I hope you're poking a hole in the bottom so the water can run out.

The trick is to put your finger over the hole so it fills faster than it empties.

Otherwise, it's a mess.

Also, take pains so they can't turn it over and shake it to get the boat into the window!

Yes, I forgot to mention that. : )

1 hour ago, niraD said:

The simplest type of gadget cache that I've seen is one of those marble maze puzzle boxes that can be used as a gift box, with cash or a gift card inside. The geocache log goes into the locked compartment, and finders have to solve the marble maze puzzle to unlock the compartment. Unlocking the compartment also moves the marble to the beginning of the maze, so it's ready to solve again.

I have one of those. Just put it out a month ago. Seems to be faring well so far.

One of the more complex gadgets I am planning on building is one where the cacher opens the box from the front which reveals a maze cut out into a door (the same size is the cache, so they cannot reach through it). There is a bolt with a magnet on the back fastened to the start of the maze, acting as a handle. Slide the bolt through the maze to the end where the magnet will trigger a "baby lock" and open the cache. 

I'll try to post pics when completed.