Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 5
Harry Dolphin

Cache Carnival

Recommended Posts

That's what I read.  Points are awarded based on the # of fav points on found caches, and you get 25 points if you are a cache owner that is given a fav point on one of your caches.

 

Max per cache find (log) is 50 points.  Looks like TB's are not part of this one.  And I've already seen one "Creation Celebration" event published in my area - GC83QW3.  Depending on how I schedule my time, I can get all the souvenirs for this one.  One of my goals for 2019 is to complete some challenges, one is finding the top 20 favorited caches within 20 miles of my home location.  I have about half of them yet to find....so this fits right in!

Edited by CAVinoGal
Typo corrections

Share this post


Link to post

The area where I will be working has well over 25 caches with the 50+ FP, so I can manage that on one day (I'm sure).  The event will be an issue for me, as there are no events posted within 50 miles, and I'm not near home to host one like the Maker Madness event I hosted a few years ago.  Maybe an event will pop up somewhere in the area.

Share this post


Link to post

Interesting that they're equating a high number of FPs with "cache creativity and diversity". Today I found a cache with 138 FPs, putting it in the top fifty in Australia for FPs. An embodiment of creativity and diversity, surely? Nup, a magnetic key holder on a road barrier with a tattered screwed up worn out lump of paper for a logbook (it was dry, though, I'll give it that). I only went for it because a caching friend knew I'd be in the area and suggested I replace the log, which I did. The cache is 14 years old, so I guess the container itself has stood up pretty well if it's still the original, and it's had 2140 finds in that time, mostly because it's in a prime location in one of the country's hottest tourist spots.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post

The number of favorite doesn't mean a lot. It's the % of FP that is meaningful.

 

Getting the 500 pts won't be so bad because I will travel but the 6th one might be harder to get.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post

A local event, which is just a meetup at a coffee shop, got approved as an official Cache Carnival event, because there's encouragement to share, to talk about cool cache experiences.

 

... =/

 

Just host an event. Anything. Submit it for approval. You'll likely get it and be able to get the souvenir.

 

 

The FP thing seems a lot like the Caching Connoisseur souvenir. But it's slightly different here (no TBs, only FPs with caches), at least with tiered souvenirs which is better. I don't think anyone expects that every cache with high favourite points means it's "a great geocache container".  Anything looking for high FP implies having a better chance at finding a cool cache. I mean, you can play it letter-of-the-law and just find favourite points anywhere on anything, or - and this is how you actually have fun - play by the spirit of the theme and have fun with it --> Actually create a carnival-themed event.  Go find geocaches with high FPs that are creative physical constructions.

 

I'd love if HQ would actually raise minimum standards for promos like this so it can't be 'abused' (for lack of a better term) by minimizing participation requirements so 'everyone gets a trophy' - but at least the themes are creative and have potential, and the tiered souvenirs is definitely a step back in the right direction.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, thebruce0 said:

A local event, which is just a meetup at a coffee shop, got approved as an official Cache Carnival event, because there's encouragement to share, to talk about cool cache experiences.

Yeah, I was hoping for a bit more "in theme" when I saw that one publish, especially knowing the CO and his penchant for challenging puzzles. But you're right, it's basically his usual event - meetup for morning coffee and breakfast, and talk geocaching.

1 hour ago, thebruce0 said:

I'd love if HQ would actually raise minimum standards for promos like this so it can't be 'abused' (for lack of a better term) by minimizing participation requirements so 'everyone gets a trophy' - but at least the themes are creative and have potential, and the tiered souvenirs is definitely a step back in the right direction.

Agreed.  Maybe someone else near here will have an event where we all get to play with making a cool container or something.  Maybe we'll take the plunge and host an event and make it creative!

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

Yeah, I was hoping for a bit more "in theme" when I saw that one publish, especially knowing the CO and his penchant for challenging puzzles. But you're right, it's basically his usual event - meetup for morning coffee and breakfast, and talk geocaching.

heh, well it seems you have the same issue in California we have in Ontario ;) (not the same CO I'm sure)

 

The one here was published the same day as the announcement and approved yesterday for the theme. Didn't take any planning, just "Hey lets post a geochat event, drop in the 'share stories' line, and make it an official souvenir event".   Absolute minimalist requirement.  Not complaining about the event, but yeeshk, they could require something more than just "share stories" (which pretty much happens at every event anyway).

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

Absolute minimalist requirement.  Not complaining about the event, but yeeshk, they could require something more than just "share stories" (which pretty much happens at every event anyway).

"Share stories" was ONE of the possible options.  I would definitely like to see more of the "educational" type events/workshops around here.  Hmmmm, maybe I need to "just do it", and start something....

 

The Event must highlight cache quality and/or cache creation. Possibilities include, but are not limited to:

Educational workshop (e.g., Let’s learn about the guidelines, nature protection, etc.)

“Build-A-Cache” workshop (e.g., Build your own custom cache container) This is the most "in theme" choice, IMO

Activity workshop (e.g., climbing workshop)

Story sharing (e.g., What were some of your most epic adventures or favourite caches) Happens at nearly every event I've been to; we always share stuff!

Share this post


Link to post

Oh I know there's more option, I'm just saying, that's the minimum. Any event can be a "Cache Carnival" event by merely asking that people "share stories". Which happens at pretty much any event already.

Share this post


Link to post

Pity the period is so short. To organise a proper event will take time. 

 

 

 

Edited by ChrisDen
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

The FP thing seems a lot like the Caching Connoisseur souvenir. But it's slightly different here (no TBs, only FPs with caches), at least with tiered souvenirs which is better. I don't think anyone expects that every cache with high favourite points means it's "a great geocache container".  Anything looking for high FP implies having a better chance at finding a cool cache.

 

Doing a search for caches with 50 or more FPs around this neck of the woods yielded this:

 

image.png.cfe11e661b6453a82dd46db7f323db38.png

 

They're mostly clustered around Sydney harbour in the tourist hotspots and are typically caches that get many hundreds if not thousands of finds which are often favourited because of their waterfront location rather than anything creative about the cache. Now see that area to the north around Gosford and Woy Woy? Yep, that's where I live. None, except that one right up the top past Wyong. Obviously we're a dull uncreative lot around here, or maybe it's just that our most creative caches don't get enough visitors to push them into the high-FP-count stakes - many excellent caches with very high FP percentages struggle to get beyond single digit find counts. The result is that anyone looking to seriously participate in this promotion will steer well clear of this area, instead focusing their attention around Sydney harbour.

  • Upvote 2
  • Surprised 1

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, Harry Dolphin said:

So, with the new souvenir challenge:  https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2019/02/cache-carnival-faqs/  We need 500 points.  Ten caches with fifty favorite points between March 25 or April 15?   Or some other accumulation of 500 points?  Plus a Creation Celebration event for the sixth souvenir?    

Hopefully not only for FPs and there are also points allocated for finding caches. Closest cage to me with 50. FPs is about 500 km away

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ChrisDen said:

Hopefully not only for FPs and there are also points allocated for finding caches. Closest cage to me with 50. FPs is about 500 km away

With the exception of getting points for FPs on your own caches, all of the points are for finding caches (or the Event equivalent). It's just that you earn more Leaderboard points for caches with more FPs. Even the lowliest 0 FP cache will get you 3 Leaderboard points.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

Interesting that they're equating a high number of FPs with "cache creativity and diversity". 

 

Well, it's currently the only real metric they have to go by.  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post

FPs as a percentage of found logs by premium members would be far better with a minimum of (say) 10 logs

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, jennergruhle said:

But I like the fact that all the FP cache hunters are getting points for me :-)

 

Not in this case - the souvenir qualification is on your own activity, despite the points earned by Friends.

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

 

Not in this case - the souvenir qualification is on your own activity, despite the points earned by Friends.

 

I think jennergruhle means something along the lines of "I have put out some cool, creative caches that have already earned lots of favorite points, so people will target them during this promotion.  When they find my caches, they will also add favorite points since they deserve them.  In this way, I'll earn 25 points from each of these cachers."

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, rosebud55112 said:

 

I think jennergruhle means something along the lines of "I have put out some cool, creative caches that have already earned lots of favorite points, so people will target them during this promotion.  When they find my caches, they will also add favorite points since they deserve them.  In this way, I'll earn 25 points from each of these cachers."

That's how I read it too.

Share this post


Link to post

Ah, yes, them giving souvenir points by giving favourite points. That is the other way to earn the souvenir, yeah.

("FP cache hunters getting points for me" implied them getting points, not providing points by awarding favourites; that's how I read it)

Share this post


Link to post

Yes, that is exactly what I meant. By the way - earning of points on the "Friend League" (or how it might be called today) by activities of the friends hasn't been counting for a long time?

Share this post


Link to post

Yep, probably because more people friended high-activity cachers to get points, rather than getting out and doing stuff themselves.  At least the friends-total mechanic is there, but coming up with a campaign theme that actually works well with the scoring concept could be tough.  Friend-scoring is good for people who don't have enough qualifying caches to properly take part, but makes it way too easy for people with loads of qualifying caches around. It's a tough balance. Without friend scoring, if HQ wants to make an accessible theme for everyone then the difficulty tends to be much lower; which is why I think the tiered approach to individual scoring is the best so far. The only 'negative' (ymmv) is that not-everyone-get-a-trophy. I'm absolutely fine with that =P That's life.

 

The scoring mechanic for this period is interesting, and might serve it well. No TB scoring, but points for high FP cache finding, and for receiving FPs (that's new). We'll see how it works out...

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, jennergruhle said:

By the way - earning of points on the "Friend League" (or how it might be called today) by activities of the friends hasn't been counting for a long time?

Looking back in my records, I think the only time the friend scoring was used was during the Mary Hyde promotion in 2017, and even then it was only used on two of those souvenirs. The other souvenirs in that promotion used individual scoring. Like thebruce0 said, some cachers got bombarded with friend requests from people they didn't know who were just trying to ride their coattails. I'm betting that's one of the main reasons they don't use this anymore.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, The A-Team said:

I think the only time the friend scoring was used was during the Mary Hyde promotion in 2017, and even then it was only used on two of those souvenirs. The other souvenirs in that promotion used individual scoring.Like thebruce0 said, some cachers got bombarded with friend requests from people they didn't know who were just trying to ride their coattails. I'm betting that's one of the main reasons they don't use this anymore.

 

My bet too. 

We're not accepting "friends", and didn't even participate in Mary Hyde, yet still got numerous emails asking if we'd just be "friends" for that promotion. 

Ended up turning us off of these things altogether...

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post

I took a look at the list the link in this week's newletter produced for me which, from the URL, appears to be caches within 30 miles sorted in order of FPs. Perhaps not very helpful is it included caches I've already found, ones that are currently disabled and, if I scroll down far enough, ones that I own.

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

I took a look at the list the link in this week's newletter produced for me which, from the URL, appears to be caches within 30 miles sorted in order of FPs. Perhaps not very helpful is it included caches I've already found, ones that are currently disabled and, if I scroll down far enough, ones that I own.

 

Yeah, it seems like they forgot to set the "I haven't found", "I don't own" and "Enabled" filters. Out of curiosity, I scrolled down my list to see how helpful it would be for me. I stopped when I got to the caches with 30 FPs (about 150 caches), by which point the only unfound and unowned caches in the list were all in another country.

Share this post


Link to post

Anyone having issues with points being allocated? Did 20 caches this morning. Only logged after 12UTC but got no points.

 

I thought it might be the Cachly app that logs the time of the find (in my case before 12) but I deleted one of the logs and logged it on the website. Still no points

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Same thing happening to me.  The scoring information says 0 - 4 favorite points is awarded 3 points but caches with 0 favorite points are not getting awarded points. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, ChrisDen said:

Anyone having issues with points being allocated? Did 20 caches this morning. Only logged after 12UTC but got no points.

 

I thought it might be the Cachly app that logs the time of the find (in my case before 12) but I deleted one of the logs and logged it on the website. Still no points

 

17 hours ago, flowten said:

Same thing happening to me.  The scoring information says 0 - 4 favorite points is awarded 3 points but caches with 0 favorite points are not getting awarded points. 

 

Seems to be working now.  I found two caches yesterday with zero favorites, and today I see I got three points each for them - plus 25 points for earning a favorite point on one of our hides.

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, hzoi said:

 

 

Seems to be working now.  I found two caches yesterday with zero favorites, and today I see I got three points each for them - plus 25 points for earning a favorite point on one of our hides.

 

As I mentioned in the other thread in the Website subforum, for me it's only showing 3 points per find regardless of how many FPs the cache has (one I found today had 19 and another 25). The odd thing is it's given me the souvenirs for the points I should have got.

Share this post


Link to post

Lol, looks like people are already finding ways to game this system.  A few cachers in my area are starting to give each other a bunch of FP's on old finds so that they get point boosts, then once they get the souvenirs they're just removing the FP's.  It's amazing what people will do just to get a souvenir...

  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, ZeppelinDT said:

Lol, looks like people are already finding ways to game this system.  A few cachers in my area are starting to give each other a bunch of FP's on old finds so that they get point boosts, then once they get the souvenirs they're just removing the FP's.  It's amazing what people will do just to get a souvenir...

 

favorite points bastardized          In website forums, maybe they think it's a "bug" 'cause it bugs them.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, ZeppelinDT said:

A few cachers in my area are starting to give each other a bunch of FP's on old finds so that they get point boosts, then once they get the souvenirs they're just removing the FP's.

 

They are actually taking the time to REMOVE the FP's after awarding them?  Amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

 

They are actually taking the time to REMOVE the FP's after awarding them?  Amazing.

 

I'll give your caches FP, if you do the same for me. Then, we remove the FP. We still get the souvenirs AND we keep our FP. We will be so clever, tricking GS out of the pixels! 🤩  /s

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, K13 said:

 

I'll give your caches FP, if you do the same for me. Then, we remove the FP. We still get the souvenirs AND we keep our FP. We will be so clever, tricking GS out of the pixels! 🤩  /s

 

But, I think you have to have found a cache in order to give it a favorite point?  

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Harry Dolphin said:

 

But, I think you have to have found a cache in order to give it a favorite point?  

Yeah, first we armchair log the cache, then delete the find after everything else.

 

I mean, there are no standards in this souvenir grab. :P

Share this post


Link to post

I like this batch of souvenirs. Suddenly people are looking for caches with high favourite points. People are finding it better to go and find one good cache rather than a number of park and grabs. 

It has also made some more aware that it is a reward to give a CO a FP if the cache deserves one. 

The effect had been positive on our caching community. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, ChrisDen said:

I like this batch of souvenirs. Suddenly people are looking for caches with high favourite points. People are finding it better to go and find one good cache rather than a number of park and grabs. 

It has also made some more aware that it is a reward to give a CO a FP if the cache deserves one. 

The effect had been positive on our caching community. 

 

While I agree with what you said, there is a bit of a downside in that people will tend to target the caches that already have lots of FPs in order to get all of the souvenirs in the relatively short timeframe, neglecting caches with fewer FPs. Caches with lots of FPs will get even more FPs, while a good cache with only a few FPs may not get the love it deserves. If the promotion had been made even just a couple of weeks longer, it would have given people time to find more of those lower-FP caches and possibly award more FPs to the ones that deserve it.

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, ChrisDen said:

I like this batch of souvenirs. Suddenly people are looking for caches with high favourite points. People are finding it better to go and find one good cache rather than a number of park and grabs. 

It has also made some more aware that it is a reward to give a CO a FP if the cache deserves one. 

The effect had been positive on our caching community. 

 

You must have a good caching community...  :)

The last couple weeks with folks talking about this promotion,  I was kinda tempted to max it with the POS dumpster, parking lot, guardrail, and even porta potty hides we've seen, all with lots of favorite points.

Then sanity kicked in.   :laughing:

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, ChrisDen said:

I like this batch of souvenirs. Suddenly people are looking for caches with high favourite points. People are finding it better to go and find one good cache rather than a number of park and grabs.

 

Except many of the highest FP caches in this part of the world are park and grabs, they just happen to be in the tourist hot spots around Sydney harbour. People here are talking about spending a day or weekend there to grab as many of those as possible, not planning a day out in the wilds for that one great cache that might have 100% FPs but has only had a handful of finds so it won't score much. That's fine, I'm sure they'll have lots of fun out around the harbour (and I'll probably join them at some point), but many of those caches don't have any great redeeming qualities other than being in popular or scenic spots.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, The A-Team said:

While I agree with what you said, there is a bit of a downside in that people will tend to target the caches that already have lots of FPs in order to get all of the souvenirs in the relatively short timeframe, neglecting caches with fewer FPs. Caches with lots of FPs will get even more FPs, while a good cache with only a few FPs may not get the love it deserves. If the promotion had been made even just a couple of weeks longer, it would have given people time to find more of those lower-FP caches and possibly award more FPs to the ones that deserve it.

 

That's one way of looking at it, but as much as I hate to say it, that's also very akin to 'everyone gets an award'. That is, for this short time period, the effect is that the cream of the crop are getting more attention. It's not exclusionary - it's not pushing back or keeping down other caches from being good or eventually getting attention, but the net effect is essentially positive. Great caches get highlighted. After this, there's more awareness of FPs and what can/will earn them. When souvenirs are no longer being awarded for finding high-FP caches, there will be some amount of benefit both for existing caches that should and will everntually earn more FPs, and for future caches that haven't yet been created, by the COs getting inspired to be more creative.

 

I think if the period was longer it actually might have the effect of increasing the gap between the high-FP caches and those that haven't yet reached that level. Having it short, IMO, could be like an adrenaline shot for creativity. A quick boost that might have a lasting/lingering effect, and hopefully shape the community even just a bit in regards to cache creativity on the longer term.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

That's one way of looking at it, but as much as I hate to say it, that's also very akin to 'everyone gets an award'. That is, for this short time period, the effect is that the cream of the crop are getting more attention. It's not exclusionary - it's not pushing back or keeping down other caches from being good or eventually getting attention, but the net effect is essentially positive. Great caches get highlighted. After this, there's more awareness of FPs and what can/will earn them. When souvenirs are no longer being awarded for finding high-FP caches, there will be some amount of benefit both for existing caches that should and will everntually earn more FPs, and for future caches that haven't yet been created, by the COs getting inspired to be more creative.

 

The assumption you're making is that the higher the number of FPs, the better the cache. That might be so if comparing like with like, but it's not. Older caches will score better than newer ones simply because they've had more time to accumulate FPs, caches in more populated areas will fare better simply because they get more finders, and caches in tourist hotspots in the big cities will score highest almost regardless of the quality of the cache. The example I keep turning to is one I found about a month ago that has 139 FPs, but it's an MKH on a guard rail that just happens to be on an elevated motorway overlooking the Sydney harbour ferry wharf, opera house and harbour bridge. It's where all the tourists go to get that postcard photo, find a cache while they're at it and a small percentage (ten percent) give it an FP for the location and perhaps its age. As far as this promotion goes, that cache is close to the top of your cream of the crop, whereas one that's away from population centres, takes a considerable time to complete but ticks all the boxes for a highly creative cache is swept aside simply because its 4 FPs from 4 finds rates it at the bottom of the heap.

 

Project-gc shows there are 8 caches in my region that have 70% or higher FP percentage, although it only includes those with ten or more FPs - extending that down, I can add another 9 to the list which are either quite new or very high D/T ones that have only had a handful of finders. These 17 I'd consider the cream of the crop from my region, but I'd wager that none of them get any finds during the promotion period.

Edited by barefootjeff

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

The assumption you're making is that the higher the number of FPs, the better the cache.

 

No, I never make that assumption, which is clear from other discussions I've participated in about favourite points. If that's what you inferred from my comments then I apologize, that was not my intent.  We must understand FPs really only imply a level of popularity. And that implication is founded upon the assumption that if someone likes anything about a geocache, then they are more likely to add a point. Therefore the generally accepted understanding of high FP caches is that for some reason a high volume of premium member geocachers decided to award it one. That's all. Because of that, it's generally safe to assume that higher favourite points means there's a greater chance of enjoying it. Obviously not a guarantee. As we all know that high FPs does not guarantee a quality geocache.

 

19 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

As far as this promotion goes, that cache is close to the top of your cream of the crop, whereas one that's away from population centres, takes a considerable time to complete but ticks all the boxes for a highly creative cache is swept aside simply because its 4 FPs from 4 finds rates it at the bottom of the heap.

 

Yep.

Doesn't change my point - for whatever reason a cache has more points than another, the period is short enough (imo) that the effect is still likely to be a net positive for the concept of favourite points, and those caches that haven't (yet) achieved this promo period's completely and entirely arbitrary FP threshold counts may stand a better chance of getting there in the future.  And if a region is much too sparse and inactive for a cache to ever reach such an arbitrary quantity of points, well, why is one region comparing FP quantities as a measure of quality with another region anyway?

 

It is indeed unfortunate for anyone who lives in a FP-desolate area who wouldn't be able to earn 50 points for finding a cache with 50+ FPs. They can of course still earn the souvenirs by finding any caches. And it may seem unfair that a region with a FP-dense landscape will net most every premium member there with souvenirs after a day or two of casual caching. But as we agree, FP count alone doesn't indicate "quality".

 

The intent of this promotion is not to define some objective standard of quality. It's to get people looking at and using favourite points and caches that have more of them, as a way to see what kind of caches tend to bubble up to the top of the local region's geocache landscape - obviously only up to this particular point in time. And it can help identify other caches that should naturally and possibly more quickly accrue FPs, after this promotion period ends.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

Doesn't change my point - for whatever reason a cache has more points than another, the period is short enough (imo) that the effect is still likely to be a net positive for the concept of favourite points, and those caches that haven't (yet) achieved this promo period's completely and entirely arbitrary FP threshold counts may stand a better chance of getting there in the future.  And if a region is much too sparse and inactive for a cache to ever reach such an arbitrary quantity of points, well, why is one region comparing FP quantities as a measure of quality with another region anyway?

 

Perhaps my region is unusual in that it's sandwiched between two large cities (Sydney to the south and Newcastle to the north), but what this promotion is doing is diverting attention away from my region and into those two higher population centres where most of the higher FP count caches are. We simply don't have enough caches with enough FPs to make it worth anyone's while to do much caching here if they're serious about the promotion. About the only positive impact I can see flowing to this region from it is through the nearby CC events where we'll have a chance to promote some of our better caches to any of the locals who haven't done them yet.

Edited by barefootjeff
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Sure. And after April 14th, everyone will get back to general geocaching, hopefully with a renewed energy for favourite points, what they can represent in this hobby, and perhaps even a reinvigorated desire to create geocaches that will earn favourite points, even in your region, even if it's not highly active relative to surrounding regions.

It's two weeks.  It's not going to hurt.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Between 25.03 - 14.04 I have targeted 91 Caches with 575 points (most of which will only have 3 points counted) and 47,8km of walking. Up until today I have found 7 Caches and collected 97 points. If you plan properly you can go for a lot of Caches with low fav. point. I just do it for the walks, with or without the promotion.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

 

Except many of the highest FP caches in this part of the world are park and grabs, they just happen to be in the tourist hot spots around Sydney harbour. People here are talking about spending a day or weekend there to grab as many of those as possible, not planning a day out in the wilds for that one great cache that might have 100% FPs but has only had a handful of finds so it won't score much. That's fine, I'm sure they'll have lots of fun out around the harbour (and I'll probably join them at some point), but many of those caches don't have any great redeeming qualities other than being in popular or scenic spots.

 

You're spot on Jeff. I just looked at the list of high-FPs in Sydney Hbr, most have FP %'s under 20%. Yet the Project-GC list of highest %-FP caches really shows the true gems. I wonder why GC.com don't seem to use %-FPs, even though it is the obvious measure of a quality cache?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

Sure. And after April 14th, everyone will get back to general geocaching, hopefully with a renewed energy for favourite points, what they can represent in this hobby, and perhaps even a reinvigorated desire to create geocaches that will earn favourite points, even in your region, even if it's not highly active relative to surrounding regions.

It's two weeks.  It's not going to hurt.

 

Ya think?   In the past 6 months there have been a total of 11 caches placed withing 30 miles of here. One of them is an Event.  Two have 6 FPs.  Only 1 cache (the event) has been published this year within 30 miles.   This souvenir promotion is likely going to have zero impact on geocaching my area.  It's practically dead.  There's a city about 50 miles to the north that seems to be somewhat active.  but  I wouldn't even describe that area as invigorated.  

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Ya think?   In the past 6 months there have been a total of 11 caches placed withing 30 miles of here. One of them is an Event.  Two have 6 FPs.  Only 1 cache (the event) has been published this year within 30 miles.   This souvenir promotion is likely going to have zero impact on geocaching my area.  It's practically dead.  There's a city about 50 miles to the north that seems to be somewhat active.  but  I wouldn't even describe that area as invigorated. 

 

Give a corpse an electric shock. Nuthin.  It really sucks if an area is already dead for geocaching... really unfortunate. But I think that's a different conversation, including strategies for how to change that. Obviously highlighting favourite points isn't going to help if there's practical no geocaches anyway.  The upside to this promo is events can be hosted, and new caches can be published (which can earn FPs, another aspect to this promo). So even a 'dead' area can still see related activity, as long as all the geocachers don't throw up their hands and walk away.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 5

×