Garmin 64s upload found caches

curly5759

Hi all, I have a new 64s that I've had for a week.  So far I have found 6 caches with it, marked them as found in the Gps.  I understand I can upload those logs directly to Geocaching.com, but cannot figure out how to do it. The 64s connects to my Desktop just fine and I can download caches directly to it.  I can view the garmin file in my document folder, but cannot figure out which folder has the found caches it.  Does this upload function require a smart phone?   I am using a windows desktop to access this site, I don't own a smart phone.

thanks

Tim

Huh. What happened to the GPS (brand) specific instructions that were on the old Field Notes import page? The new instructions aren't that helpful for locating the correct file.

In short, go to https://www.geocaching.com/account/drafts and select Upload.

Your GPS has mounted as a drive. Go to that drive (E: or F: or whatever drive it has mounted as). In the Garmin folder, there is a file called Geocache_visits.txt. Those are your drafts/field notes to upload. From there, you can use the drafts to create your logs.

To which the text is:

Follow these steps to upload drafts from your GPS device or computer to Geocaching.com:

1. Connect your GPS device to your computer.
  2. Go to your Dashboard.
  3. Select Drafts on the left hand side.
  4. On the Drafts page, select Upload drafts.
  5. Select the drafts file from your GPS or computer to upload.

Tip: Follow the directions for your GPS device to locate the correct drafts file. Drafts files have a .txt file extension, for example: geocache_visits.txt.

There used to be device-specific instructions. While Garmin's market share of GPS users is only rising, there are still some people using a Magellan, DeLorme, or other unit for the first time.

Then you click on "upload field notes".  You then get to a page with tabs giving detailed instruction from each brand.

To upload drafts (field notes) from your compatible Garmin device:

1. Plug your Garmin device into your computer with a USB cable.
  2. Click "Browse" or "Choose File" on this web page and go to the Garmin directory on your device's drive.
  3. Select the file named "geocache_visits.txt" and click "Upload draft" on this page to upload your drafts.
  4. We recommend that you delete the "geocache_visits.txt" file on your device once your drafts have been successfully uploaded.

Once the drafts are uploaded you can return to the drafts list page to start logging your finds.

Edited by Red90
13 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

Well, no, it's not "Upload Field Notes,"  but "Upload Drafts" and it just brings up a file system window. You have to be opted out of the new drafts page to have the old Field Notes interface.

Opt out FIRST!!!!  Which is what I already told you.  Thus the reason for the word "then".....  Then follow my instructions.  Good lord.  Would you like a detailed instruction manual with pictures?

Edited by Red90

Okay, I didn't realize dashboards needed to be activated. I didn't see a geocache option so I chose Activity. Everything there seems to be fitness related.  There is no upload drafts option. I created a new dashboard and titled it geocaches, but still have no option for upload files.   I cannot find the other options like marine.  I may have deleted them? 

Edited by curly5759
1 minute ago, HHL said:

It's not meant the Garmin's dashboards - we're talking about Groundspeak's dashboard (vulgo: your profile)

Hans

Thanks Hans, I literally figured this out about the same time you posted. I have found the drafts button, but it says I have no drafts waiting. I'm going to find another GC and try again.

Thanks to all

Tim

2 minutes ago, curly5759 said:

Thanks Hans, I literally figured this out about the same time you posted. I have found the drafts button, but it says I have no drafts waiting. I'm going to find another GC and try again.

Thanks to all

Tim

You need to upload the drafts from your GPS.

To upload drafts (field notes) from your compatible Garmin device:

1. Plug your Garmin device into your computer with a USB cable.
  2. Click "Browse" or "Choose File" on this web page and go to the Garmin directory on your device's drive.
  3. Select the file named "geocache_visits.txt" and click "Upload draft" on this page to upload your drafts.
  4. We recommend that you delete the "geocache_visits.txt" file on your device once your drafts have been successfully uploaded.

Red90, thanks, I got that far, but when I click upload drafts I get a message that I have no drafts.  If I open the .txt file, it just opens a word pad that shows my finds but I can't do anything with it.  I'm going to start fresh w/a new cache. It's snowing right now, so it will be another day or 2.

Tim