Off Topic

T0SHEA

I follow the "Off Topic" thread at Geocaching, and was wondering if there is interest in perhaps suggesting an "Off Topic" for Waymarking?

There are times at Waymarking, threads take on a life of their own and veer off topic.

Thoughts?

Edited by BK-Hunters

we just need to start a new topic when we decide to veer off into the stratosphere. I love the off-topic banter, but when I go to the topic, that's what I kinda expect to be reading about. Conversely, there are some topics I'm not interested in, and after a few months I'll go in and see what is going on, and find out I missed some good off-topic!

• Upvote 1

It is my understanding that the Waymarking forums are for topics relating to Waymarking only. 

I recall once posting my observations about "dumpster divers"  taking personal/business mail for what seemed to be nefarious intentions. 

I was  rebuked for my "off topic" concerns. It was termed a "Public  Service Announcement" and "What does this have to do with Waymarking?"

I just took a look at the general Off-Topic forum and I'm all for an Off-Topic forum within the Waymarking section. When I start a new topic like "what do you think about  _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _?", I want to get answers/opinions of a handfull of people that I know to a certain level. In the general Off-Topic forum I would get answers from hundreds of people I never heard of.

Besides: The German speaking community has its own Off-Topic Forum (for Premium members), so why not an Off-Topic forum for waymarkers?

Edited by PISA-caching

If the Waymarking forums wasn't included with geocaching, Wherigo, benchmarking, etc... ,  I'd think it a good idea.

That is, if Waymarking had their own forums on the Waymarking website.

But because Waymarking is associated with other hobbies of Groundspeak, I feel we already have an off-topic that includes everyone.  :)

6 minutes ago, BK-Hunters said:

If I recall correctly, there were times when forum posts veer off topic and a reminder was posted, "To stay on topic" 

I don't remember seeing such reminders, but I have a very selective memory. :-) Anyway, I think that a separate Off-Topic forum would be great, because sometimes I see that there are new posts in one of the on-topic forums and then it turns out that it's just some off-topic joking around. On the other hand, when an on-topic turns into an off-Topic thread, most of the time the off-toppers will not start a new thread in the off-Topic Forum.

20 minutes ago, BK-Hunters said:

If I recall correctly, there were times when forum posts veer off topic and a reminder was posted, "To stay on topic" 

That happens often.    That's not a good enough reason for a separate "off topic" section...

One simply needs to start a new thread on that off-topic post (if it was interesting enough).

10 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

That happens often.    That's not a good enough reason for a separate "off topic" section...

One simply needs to start a new thread on that off-topic post (if it was interesting enough).

Just now, BK-Hunters said:

I assume you are referring to posting on the Geocaching "off topic". "(if it was interesting enough)" 

No.   You said, "there were times when forum posts veer off topic and a reminder was posted, "To stay on topic" .

If the "off topic" subject was interesting and active enough that a Mod had to chime in to remind folks,  then a thread is started on that subject.

Of course it still needs to fit within one of the four sub-forums...

There are four sub-forums, if the subject is "off topic" where do you suggest it be posted if it is not about Waymarking?

Getting Started with Waymarking: New to Waymarking? This is the best place to ask questions and get answers from the community.

Recruiting and Category Proposals: Looking for group members or groups to join for categories that interest you? This is the place.

General Waymarking Topics: This is a place for general discussions around Waymarking.

Features & Functions: This section is for discussing changes, bugs and feature enhancements on Waymarking.com

You do have interesting Waymarking statistics...

Edited by BK-Hunters
  • Upvote 1
50 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

I didn't see a german-speaking Waymarking forum. 

By your reasoning, how many sub-forums are going to need to be created so everybody's "even" ? 

Sorry, but I don't get your point. Yes, there is no german-speaking Waymarking forum. Probably, because the German-speaking geocachers/waymarkers never asked for one. To answer your question: One will be enough. We have geocaching.com with two off-topic forums (the big one and the German one) and we have Waymarking.com that doesn't have one separate off-topic forum. From a waymarkers point of view (and just for the records: I'm also a geocacher): Groundspeak created a separate website for Waymarking, but they never created something like forums.Waymarking.com. Instead, the waymarkers were "tolerated" on forums.geocaching.com, but in the real world, the most geocachers I know have no idea about Waymarking and they don't want to know anything about it. Additionally, Groundspeak has done a lot to make the two worlds different. They added feature after feature for the geocachers and did hardly anything new for the waymarkers. Don't get me wrong, this is not a complaint, but the mentioned changes over the years led to a situation where a waymarker starts at Waymarking.com and wants to have "his" forums, when he clicks on the "forums" link. It would be perfect, if we had forums.Waymarking.com (and in that case it would be natural to also have an off-topic forum there), but since I know that we will hardly ever get our own forums website, the second best solution would be to have an off-topic forum in the Waymarking section. And the worst solution is to force us to post to the big Off-Topic Forum where tons of "funny" topics make it almost impossible to discuss an off-topic topic with a small group of people I know.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, PISA-caching said:

Sorry, but I don't get your point.

- snip -

...since I know that we will hardly ever get our own forums website, the second best solution would be to have an off-topic forum in the Waymarking section. And the worst solution is to force us to post to the big Off-Topic Forum where tons of "funny" topics make it almost impossible to discuss an off-topic topic with a small group of people I know

Sorry, I removed some of the "tolerated" part, as benchmarking and Wherigo may have it a bit tougher than you do...     :)

The "point" is there are a few "other hobbies" as well.    Since you're asking, don't you think they deserve their own "off topic"  too ?   

Then, where does it end ?  Ask for this in the website forums though  if you feel it's warranted.

When a thread is "off topic", it's simply something not relevant to the subject under discussion. 

The site's Off Topic forum is  " a place for you to talk about everything under the sun that isn't geocaching (within reason)".  That's all.

If one is only looking for a small group of people they know to discuss things with, a forums is probably the wrong place anyway.

I guess the wording could be changed to reflect all of Groundspeak's hobbies in it's Off Topic forum

Right now it does just say Geocaching, so maybe  a mail to HQ might help there too...

Well, I didn't think for very long when I sent my previous post. IF the benchmarkers and/or the Wherigo players would ask for their own off-topic forum, I would grant them one too. Wherigo has its own domain, but benchmarking doesn't. Both are communities that I don't know much about. I would guess that most of the Wherigo players are also geocachers. And maybe the benchmarkers are less connected with geocaching than others. But: I think we both agree, that ONE forum for all topics wouldn't be a good idea. The forums are split into pieces, because there would be far too much traffic in one big forum. Now take a look at the numbers. There are 1248648 posts in the Off-Topic forum right now, more than in the big Geocaching or any other forum. Groundspeak created forums for specific cache types (Events, Earthcaches,...) and different countries. All this helped to keep the Geocaching forum readable AND at the same time gave a smaller group of people a place to discuss things, although you think that forums are "probably the wrong place" for someone who is "looking for a small group of people they know to discuss things with".

Anyway, BK-Hunters was asking for our thoughts about an Off-Topic forum for us waymarkers and so I replied with my thoughts. Everybody is welcome to do with my thoughts what everybody wants to do with them. ;)

9 minutes ago, Alfouine said:

Create and animate new "on topic" discussions would me more helpful for our community.

Alfouine, you can help by creating a new topic for discussion. 

Not sure where everyone went, as we have also noticed no active conversations. Though there are lots of views on most threads, however few posts. Often wonder why that is. :huh:

Edited by BK-Hunters
22 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

Not sure where everyone went, as we have also noticed no active conversations. Though there are lots of views on most threads, however few posts. Often wonder why that is. :huh:

I read a lot of the Waymarking posts, but don't DO Waymarking.  Probably because I looked at some of the waymarks near where I live and it's mostly just everyday places, businesses, restaurants, etc., and I just didn't "get" why I needed to log a visit to the McDonald's down the street, or go out of my way to say I "visited" a grocery store.

I know there are a ton of topics one could waymark; it's a bit overwhelming too!  I just would rather go geocaching!

I enjoy reading ABOUT it.  I just don't DO it and have nothing to contribute, so you  see my "views", but this is the first time I've posted on the Waymarking section.

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, CAVinoGal said:

this is the first time I've posted on the Waymarking section.

CAVinoGal, thank you for posting. I do recognize your Geocaching name as I have read several of your posts. 

Please, you are always welcome to add a comment. Sometimes it is helpful to get differing viewpoints. 

I do, on occasion, post on the Geocaching forums, however I read more threads than I post. It is a busy site, wonder how some have time to read all the posts. 

Welcome, CAVinoGal

1 hour ago, CAVinoGal said:

... Probably because I looked at some of the waymarks near where I live and it's mostly just everyday places, ...

Funny, I started with geocaching and nowadays I find Waymarking more interesting. Probably, because I looked at some the geocaches near where I live and it's mostly just everyday places where someone hid a boring film canister or - even worse - a nano. On the other hand, it's exciting to search for specific waymark categories at home or abroad. For example: There's a Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. category, but I live in Vienna, Austria. So, I used my favorite search engine to see if there is any location in Vienna that is related to him and guess what, I found one back in 2014. Nobody had created a waymark there, so I did it. And it is still the only waymark in Austria for this category. You have to know that I was 50+ at that time and have lived in Vienna for all my life, but had no idea that this park existed and that it was named after Martin Luther King and why. And this is just one example of many things that I learned about my hometown over the last couple of years. So, if you don't like the waymarks around you, grab your camera and take some photos of interesting places around you and create some waymarks that are more interesting for you and others. Or go through the photos of one of your vacations and see if there's a waymark, for which you can log a visit.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1