Sign in to follow this  
Followers 4
Cheminer Will

GPSMAP Proximity Alerts/Alarms

1 hour ago, Cheminer Will said:

makes me think we are doing something slightly different that Hans.

Seems to be the case. ;)

I can confirm that alarm pois are working on an OR 600:

cruise_oregon_600.png?raw=1  cruise_oregon_600_alarm.png?raw=1

Frohes Jagen

Hans

2 hours ago, Cheminer Will said:

Well since it Hans confirmed it worked with a load of POIs for him but not for us on our GPS MAP 66 units or your numerous other models, makes me think we are doing something slightly different that Hans.  Do you think it is possible the problem is that, not the model of GPSr?  If it was just me trying to make it work, I would be more sure of user error in the process.  But with you also trying, and with all the different models you have used to test, I am puzzled as to why only Hans is successful.

Using Garmin POI loader, it should work, and the POIs actually show they are supposed to alert on all my units, however they do not - I have informed Garmin and they are looking into the issue. Now we have to wait a little....

1 hour ago, HHL said:

Seems to be the case. ;)

I can confirm that alarm pois are working on an OR 600:

cruise_oregon_600.png?raw=1  cruise_oregon_600_alarm.png?raw=1

Frohes Jagen

Hans

I 'assume' you are simulating those routes? Or are you actually out driving them?

4 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

I 'assume' you are simulating those routes? Or are you actually out driving them?

Right, but just for doing screenshots. I'm reluctant doing screenshots whilst driving. (It's a legal issue in Germany as well)

Hans

• Funny 1

4 minutes ago, HHL said:

Right, but just for doing screenshots. I'm reluctant doing screenshots whilst driving. (It's a legal issue in Germany as well)

Hans

Yes, my question intention was that the proximity alerts work while simulating the route, and do not require you to actually drive the route. 8^)

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

Yes, my question intention was that the proximity alerts work while simulating the route, and do not require you to actually drive the route. 8^)

JFYI:  The one time I did think I had it set up correctly, I actually went out and walked up to the POI location but did not get an alert.  Then just to make sure alerts were working at all even at the most basic level on my 66, I backed off and set a course to the cache located at the same place as the previous POI and when I arrived, it alerted.  I did not try navigating to the individual POI itself though.  I should try that I suppose instead of assuming it would work individually just because the cache did.   

But that doesn't really matter to me as if I want an alert for a specific, individual, cache I am navigating to that works fine.  For those that may be reading this later in the thread timeline, my original intent with this and what we are struggling with now is loading POIs corresponding in location to all caches and getting alerts for all those POIs whenever we approach one.  This is so I do not inadvertently hike right by a great cache while in a trance from beautiful views, distracting hiking companions, etc.  Hans has it working, the rest of us do not so far.

Also just to be clear, the one part of the process where I originally thought I was going wrong was maybe getting the POIs loaded without correct proximity alert settings/information.  But since you have done that part also, and are unlikely to have made any same mistake I might have, I am at a loss as to what to try next.  I still have a feeling I have done something wrong in loading POIs with good proximity info.  

My hope is that you will figure it out and post steps to follow to do it correctly and then I can just copy you!! :P

Edited by Cheminer Will

I have been reviewing again and again all the information provided here.

I have the four columns in the same order as Hans, and the data all list in that order, one line per POI, separated by commas, just as directed.

However, when I open my .csv file in Excel, I see that each data item, separated by commas, also has "" marks at either end of each data field.

Is this normal? Is this OK?

I am assuming yes because each POI on my GPSr show the correct alarm distance, which leads me to believe the GPSr has correctly indexed the information in the POI file.

Posted (edited)

Here is what one of the lines in my .csv file looks like after being exported from GSAK:

"-122.90255","42.316683","GC7AR7N","THORNHOLIO"

Here is a screenshot of that same line in the POI file if I generate it to my computer and view it with Notepad++"

Capture.PNG

Edited by Cheminer Will

Posted (edited)

Interesting development earlier today.....

568b.png.1bc43807d8d9779fe35cb550b75c9bcb.png

Edited by Atlas Cached

Posted (edited)

What??  You got it to sound a proximity alert for one of your loaded POIs?  Ot that you have this figured out?  Or are you saying that one of them just randomly alerted when you approached and now you have to figure out why that one and not others?.

Edited by Cheminer Will

1 hour ago, Cheminer Will said:

What??  You got it to sound a proximity alert for one of your loaded POIs?  Ot that you have this figured out?  Or are you saying that one of them just randomly alerted when you approached and now you have to figure out why that one and not others?.

No, it sounded for all of them. And I am not sure why. I have not changed anything on the device....

Have you loaded your POI alerts to your MAP 66? If yes, then go navigate toward one or more of them (no simulation) and see if they alert....

They are no longer loaded on my 66, but I did load them a couple of weeks ago and walked right up to one of the POIs and no alert.  But I was not 100% sure I was doing everything correctly every step of the way.  Now it has been those couple of weeks without focusing on it so it is even more likely I might not get it right, even going back over this long thread and piecing it all together to do again.  Maybe for my somewhat technologically challenged level of understanding and for the benefit of some that may come later wanting to do this:  Would you be willing to post a reply that takes it step by step?  Like writing a tutorial that takes all the pertinent parts of this thread and puts in one place?  And leaving out all the red herrings and wrong directions that popped up along the way?  I know I would benefit from that I bet others that would want to do this would also. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Cheminer Will said:

They are no longer loaded on my 66, but I did load them a couple of weeks ago and walked right up to one of the POIs and no alert.  But I was not 100% sure I was doing everything correctly every step of the way.  Now it has been those couple of weeks without focusing on it so it is even more likely I might not get it right, even going back over this long thread and piecing it all together to do again.  Maybe for my somewhat technologically challenged level of understanding and for the benefit of some that may come later wanting to do this:  Would you be willing to post a reply that takes it step by step?  Like writing a tutorial that takes all the pertinent parts of this thread and puts in one place?  And leaving out all the red herrings and wrong directions that popped up along the way?  I know I would benefit from that I bet others that would want to do this would also. 

If you navigate to GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Function > POI > Custom POI,  you will find pretty much everything Garmin have published on the subject... But that may not be enough....

Edited by Atlas Cached

11 hours ago, Cheminer Will said:

Maybe for my somewhat technologically challenged level of understanding and for the benefit of some that may come later wanting to do this:  Would you be willing to post a reply that takes it step by step?  Like writing a tutorial that takes all the pertinent parts of this thread and puts in one place?  And leaving out all the red herrings and wrong directions that popped up along the way?  I know I would benefit from that I bet others that would want to do this would also. 

I'm working on something now, but it will be a few days before it is ready....

31 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

I'm working on something now, but it will be a few days before it is ready....

Great!  I think it will be very much appreciated by all!