Friends

MeanderingMs

14 hours ago, MeanderingMs said:

I have some friends in my friends list that whenever I post a cache they will in turn go and find the caches where we have been.  Is there a way to remain friends on the friends list but block your fins for others to see ?

Thanks

What's the problem? Why do you think they shouldn't go to the caches you have found?  You can always delete them from your friends but they can still see what caches you have posted,  just as I can see what caches you posted.

15 hours ago, MeanderingMs said:

I have some friends in my friends list that whenever I post a cache they will in turn go and find the caches where we have been.

And...?  When I'm looking at an area to go caching, I'll often check the list of finders, and their logs, and sometimes even go to "Friends' logs" to see those who I know that have found it. If someone I know has recently found it, I have more confidence that the cache is there and that I will find it as well.

In fact, there's one couple and we seem to follow each other around - we'll sign the log soon after them, or they will visit caches soon after we have logged them.  Nothing weird about it - we all cache in the same general area most of the time, so it's bound to happen...

Edited by CAVinoGal
clarification, spelling
  • Upvote 1
19 hours ago, MeanderingMs said:

I have some friends in my friends list that whenever I post a cache they will in turn go and find the caches where we have been. 

Is there a way to remain friends on the friends list but block your fins for others to see ?

Sure, don't enter your finds online, but I thought that's one of the things the "friends" list was for.  

I like hides in higher terrain.  My friends (real ones, not on some "list") do too.

They look at my profile for caches I do, and I often do the same.

May be just me, but if I happen to find better caches than they've been experiencing, and they "follow" my lead, that's kinda flattering.  :)

• Upvote 2

Could be they don't want to expend unnecessary effort and like to verify a cache is there before they go look for it.  But we can only guess at their motivation.  If you really want to know, you'll need to ask them.

Even hypothetically, if they were stalking you, finding caches that you have already logged (and therefore have departed) is a pretty inefficient way to do it.

Unless you remove them from your friends list, they can track all the logs you leave - so even just leaving notes on the caches you find isn't going to keep them from seeing your activity as long as they are in your friends list.

At any rate - as others have stated, no, you can't log things privately on the site.  If you want to keep your finds 100% private, you'll need to stop logging online and keep track of your finds some other way.

On 2/17/2019 at 7:04 PM, MeanderingMs said:

I have some friends in my friends list that whenever I post a cache they will in turn go and find the caches where we have been.  Is there a way to remain friends on the friends list but block your fins for others to see ?

Thanks

I don't understand why you should see this as a problem. It could a compliment, actually. I have had a couple other cachers tell me that they look at my profile occasionally to see where I have been because they share the same interests as me. "You like long walks off the beaten trail and so do I."  or,  "I would never had known about that nice preserve/park/trail/cache series if I had not seen your logs." 

If I'm looking at some cache logs ahead of an outing and see some recent found logs from cachers I know, I feel more confident in my potential success.

• Upvote 1

To the OP:  If your friends are using the Dashboard view to see what you've recently found, then you could block your finds from showing up on the Dashboard by going into your Account Settings and un-checking "Show my activity on my friends' Dashboards".  That will remove your activity from the easiest view that your friends might be using.

However, if they are following your activity by going to your Public Profile, then there isn't anything you can do about that.  You could delay logging your finds, like maybe submit your logs on the weekend for all the caches you found during the week - but if doing this then be sure to set the "Date Logged" to the date you actually found the cache, not just the date you submitted the logs.  I'm not sure why bother though. They will still end up seeing what you've found.

image.png.2fd335ef65129a68e184012a9c83c07d.png

• Helpful 1
On 2/17/2019 at 8:04 PM, MeanderingMs said:

Thanks

Maybe they like the type of caches that you find and turn to you for good caches to go to.....

• Upvote 2