GPS or App

metalchickphd

I did some geocaching about 6-8 yrs ago and bought a Geocache specific Magellan handheld GPS...  was going to get back into it on occasion when we can find the time..lol... is it better to use the app? is it as accurate? can you use both with Premium?  Do you need Premium id download or find caches or place caches?   Thanks for any help or suggestions.  

It may be better to use the app, not knowing which magellan you have (whether it easily accepts gpx files to load).

"Send to garmin" (a kind of replacement for "send to gps" if that was what you were using) only works for newer garmin handhelds. 

As a basic member using a handheld GPSr, you can access all cache types, all difficulties and terrain, and just won't be able to access pmo hides, by using the site.

As a basic member using the app, you're limited with cache types, and IIRC, only caches with D/T of 2 and below, an example here.

With premium, you see all with full access using the app.  Modern phones are just as "accurate" as most handheld GPSrs.

By the location and caches you did earlier, I feel it would be easier to get back into the hobby using the app for now.  

You can place caches as a basic member.  I think it a good idea to see how the hobby's changed first.   :)

1 hour ago, metalchickphd said:

I did some geocaching about 6-8 yrs ago and bought a Geocache specific Magellan handheld GPS...  was going to get back into it on occasion when we can find the time..lol... is it better to use the app? is it as accurate? can you use both with Premium?  Do you need Premium id download or find caches or place caches?   Thanks for any help or suggestions.  

With a phone and as a Basic member, you may instead use the web site and the phone's web browser (or your PC's browser, if you usually go find just a cache or two once in a while).  Visit the page of a cache to hunt, type the coordinates (and/or waypoints) into the Magellan.  But it depends on how many caches you load at a time, or how many you hunt.  Premium Membership opens up more convenience, regardless of what your plan is.

Some older Magellans required special connections and special software in order to load them.  But as mentioned, an old GPS is still a GPS.  Cache on.  :P

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1