App vs. computer non-premium member question

GeoElmo6000

Hi, this is a general app/computer question regarding non-premium members' ability to see caches. I am a premium member and want to be able to explain to new cachers what to expect with a non-premium account.

In the past, a non-premium member could see all non-premium caches by logging into their account on a computer.  I'm not sure if that's still the case.  

My questions:

1) Presently, a non-premium member using the app will not see all non-premium caches, correct?  The impression I get is that they will see a subset of non-premium caches limited by D and T ratings.

2) Do non-premium members today have access to the same limited subset of caches on the computer as they do with the app?  Or do they have access to all non-premium caches as I did in the past before I was a premium member?

Thank you in advance.

2 minutes ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

1) Presently, a non-premium member using the app will not see all non-premium caches, correct?  The impression I get is that they will see a subset of non-premium caches limited by D and T ratings.

2) Do non-premium members today have access to the same limited subset of caches on the computer as they do with the app?  Or do they have access to all non-premium caches as I did in the past before I was a premium member?

The App for free Basic members presents caches that someone just now installing the App are more likely to find.  Just the easier caches, to check out the App and see if it works, and to see if they can find a cache.

Question 2 is complicated by the fact that someone just now installing the App doesn't have to "verify their account", doesn't even need a real email address.  The App is designed so that people can try "Geocaching" without fully committing to signing up first.  That's pretty cool, because there are so many web sites that require a verified account first, to download most any content, and once verified, the company feels free to Spam you forevermore.

So for question 2, upon installing the App, you see caches and may hunt as mentioned.  But the web site shows no locations unless you commit to user verification, at which point, you can access all non-premium caches on the web site.  The App is a luxury suited to paying for a membership, just as most any online game App works.  But after verifying, you may enter waypoints by hand into The App or any such App, for free, using the info on the web site.

38 minutes ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

In the past, a non-premium member could see all non-premium caches by logging into their account on a computer.  I'm not sure if that's still the case.  

This is still the case.

Premium member caches don't appear on the map at present either - that's been known to fluctuate in the past. They do appear in lists from searches or using the "find all nearby..." links from a cache page, but you can't see any of the detail on the cache page when you click the link (you can see name, owner, D, T, size and number of faves ).

Edited by Blue Square Thing