Suggestion: Souvenir Challenge

TheMarbler

Hello, everyone! I would like to make a suggestion for a new souvenir challenge.

Challenge Name: Holiday Hunter

Requirement(s) to earn: Find a cache on a certain number of holidays during the year. Perhaps finding 5 earns the basic souvenir (bronze), 10 earns a silver version, 20 earns the gold, etc. Not sure how many holidays there are worldwide, but am certain there are a ton to choose from.

Thoughts?

3 minutes ago, TheMarbler said:

Not sure how many holidays there are worldwide...

Today is Statehood Day in Serbia, and Day of Ashakalia  in Kosovo.  Tomorrow there will be 4 Holidays/Observances throughout the world, followed by 2 more Holidays on the 17th.  The 18th is a banner day for Holidays throughout the world, with a total of 11 worldwide Holidays.

Calling it a Holiday "Challenge" might be a bit overstating it, since it seems like a rather trivial exercise.  Maybe just the Holiday Souvenir.

• Helpful 1

'Souvenir' would be just fine. I used the term challenge to allude to a sense of leveling the souvenir, hopefully encouraging cachers to go above and beyond 1 holiday, and to promote learning about the variety of worldwide/regional/etc. holidays that are out there, such as those you referenced in your reply. Trivial or not, it may be a good way to bring awareness to these holidays of which I would bet money that the vast majority of people have no idea exist, myself for one. Hope this helps clear up my overstatement in the suggestion. 

Thanks for your reply! 

I don't think this would work well as a souvenir idea, as holidays are spread throughout the year, and there's so many of them.  If the programmers left out "Queen Gertrude's Birthday," the entire geocaching population of Slobbovia would be offended and alienated.

The idea would work quite well as a challenge cache, keyed to the local holidays.  ("Find a cache on each of the 12 holidays listed below" or "Find a cache hidden on each of the 10 holidays listed below.") 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

I agree that it sounds like a better Challenge Cache idea than a Souvenir idea.  However, there are some restrictions on these so called, "time limited" Challenges (e.g. Streaks with Leap Day are not permitted, since Leap Day is only available on an every 4 year cycle).

Parsing the idea a bit further, it might be possible to have a Challenge based on collecting Holiday/Observances from different Countries?  For most of the year (I didn't check), there seems to be at least 2 Holidays in various Countries around the world.  I like the idea of learning about various cultures and Countries around the world.   Geocaching is an International game after all.

Here's a resource I found that lists various Holidays and Observances for different Countries:

https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/

Edit to add...Now whether a Checker can be built for this is another question :/

Edited by Touchstone
1 hour ago, TheMarbler said:

Hello, everyone! I would like to make a suggestion for a new souvenir challenge.

Requirement(s) to earn: Find a cache on a certain number of holidays during the year. Perhaps finding 5 earns the basic souvenir (bronze), 10 earns a silver version, 20 earns the gold, etc. Not sure how many holidays there are worldwide, but am certain there are a ton to choose from.

Thoughts?

I would personally prefer to see souvenirs for finding caches in specific regions (country/state),  for specific events, or for finding caches on days that are actually related to geocaching.  

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, TheMarbler said:

I would like to make a suggestion for a new souvenir challenge.

Thoughts?

Since every day is a holiday somewhere, I don't see that working as much of a "challenge". 

Souvenirs we like are similar to NYPaddleCacher.

If the goal is just another stat, then maybe a suggestion to one of the sites that add "badges" for pretty-much everything to your profile might fit.  :)

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

If the goal is just another stat, then maybe a suggestion to one of the sites that add "badges" for pretty-much everything to your profile might fit.  :)

When I read the OP, my first thought was that this sounds more like a badge or achievement than a souvenir or challenge.

Anyway, it would be tough for TPTB to come up with a list of holidays to use for this. The safe thing to do would be to use all holidays from every country, in which case the holiday portion effectively disappears and it becomes "find caches on x days throughout the year". Or, they could limit it to holidays only from specific countries, but then they'd offend those who were left out.