GPS version of the Y2K Bug. Beware !!

Dansagenius

I stumbled on a link which discussed a potential bug in GPS units which is similar to the Y2K bug which created problems back in 2000.

Users of GPS handhelds and the like (I guess everyone that enjoys Geocaching!!) please read and share your thoughts.

Personally, I don't really understand what it all means, but hopefully my Garmin Etrex will be fine (or at least after a firmware updated when connected to Garmin Express!).

The Link is HERE.

26 minutes ago, The A-Team said:

...and hopefully manufacturers have learned their lesson and we won't have to worry about this 20 years from now!

They are changing the signal structure in the future and it includes an increase from 10 to 13 bits for the week, which gives 157 years of weeks.

2 hours ago, _Art_ said:

It will be interesting that all over the world, some people are going to sell some GPS hardware on eBay that worked fine when it was sent,

and has an issue straight away when it arrives at the buyer’s address.

You mean like every new Garmin handheld.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1

Every Garmin handheld doesn’t necessarily work fine when it was sent :D

It would be a little more confusing for the seller of an older unit that was once a daily user.

I do feel sorry for those who make a career out of becoming a licensed distributor for the stuff though.