Can not remove the "wheelchair accessible" attribute

Ionspy

Nothing special, I am on the Edit page of one of my caches and have just decided that the  "wheelchair accessible" attribute need to be removed (to difficult).

Normaly, clicking on a attribute toggles between yes-no-nothing, and it does so with the other attributes (both in Firefox and IE), but especially this attribute does not react any more to clicking.

As said, the other attributes seem to behave normal, and its both in Mozilla and IE that this special attribute can not be modified.

1 hour ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Raise the terrain rating, then try again.

T=1 means wheelchair accessible, by definition.

Yep, that's probably it. This definition has been in place for a long time, but I guess the edit page now strictly enforces it and ties the two together so one can't exist without the other.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
1 hour ago, Ionspy said:

Correct, after changing to T=1.5 I could remove the wheelchair attribute. A bit strange isn't it?

I think it makes sense to link T=1.0 with the Wheelchair Accessible attribute. And Groundspeak has started to update the user interface to enforce such things (another example is the 2-mile maximum distance between the posted location of a mystery/puzzle cache and its solved coordinates).

I think silently locking the Wheelchair Accessible attribute is a poor design choice. It would be better to have some sort of pop-up that tells the user to change the terrain rating first.

Or maybe it could automatically update the terrain rating to 1.5 when the Wheelchair Accessible attribute is removed, but in that case it would be especially important to notify the user of the change.

• Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, niraD said:

Or maybe it could automatically update the terrain rating to 1.5 when the Wheelchair Accessible attribute is removed, but in that case it would be especially important to notify the user of the change.

I think I'd prefer it be reversed, that if the terrain is raised beyond 1, the wheelchair attribute automatically goes bye-bye.  

Thought there was similar , or maybe an "are you sure...?" thing years ago.  Forgot to test it when we archived ours...

This OP was aware and wanted to remove the attribute.   :)

- We've seen a few COs that forgot they had "extra" to do when they upped terrain.    

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, niraD said:

Why do they need to be notified? No one should have a terrain of one if it isn't wheelchair accessible. Be good if this included existing caches too. If no wheelchair attribute, the terrain jumps to 1.5. I have seen too many caches with terrain 1 and it is not wheelchair accessible; not even close.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

Why do they need to be notified?

Because they changed one thing and the system automatically changed another thing.

Yes, the two things are related (otherwise the system wouldn't have linked them). But it's a bad user experience to have a change like this hidden.

• Upvote 1

Is the wheel chair accessible attribute locked to T1? Can there be a T1.5 or a T2 with the wheel chair accessible attribute?

The reason I ask is that IMO not all wheelchair accessible caches are equal. Here is one wheel chair accessible cache that I would put at more than a T1.  https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC3QFYD_wastatepks100-rockport The park has made it a point to have a really nice wheel chair accessible trail. From the parking lot, the cache is about a kilometer and a half distance, one way. And, when you get to the main part of the trail, there is a map that shows the elevation changes, marked green, yellow and red. The complete loop has about a 50 meter elevation change overall, it is hard packed gravel, and there is one red zone shown on the map. You have to go through at least two yellow sections to get to the cache.  I don't recall the breakdown of colors to rate of change.

3 hours ago, Wet Pancake Touring Club said:

Can there be a T1.5 or a T2 with the wheel chair accessible attribute?

Yes, it's possible to add the Wheelchair attribute to a cache of any T rating. I've seen it on a T5, where the T5 was for boat access. Which was reasonable,  if a person was able  get in and out of boat, once ashore, cache was Wheelchair accessible.   These days, I see more handicap accessible boat docks.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Wet Pancake Touring Club said:

Is the wheel chair accessible attribute locked to T1? Can there be a T1.5 or a T2 with the wheel chair accessible attribute?

It appears not to be locked to T1, at least in the cache page coding. I have an unpublished T3 cache and was able to set the wheelchair attribute without lowering the terrain. Whether the reviewer would accept it is another matter of course.

Edited by barefootjeff
  • Helpful 1