Garmin Oregon 700 - strange problem...

chilihouse

I am running software version 4.40 and I've recently had a very strange problem.  After deleting an old PQ and loading a new one, the caches from the old one are the only ones showing on the map and in the list of geocaches.  I've tried looking through all the files on the unit, in various directories, and also on the memory card, but I can't see any 'rouge' GPX files and the new PQ is definitely showing.

The new GPX file is correct - it shows up as it should on my old Oregon 450.

I've also tried uploading from GSAK using a GGZ (using the option to clear the unit first) and still the old PQ caches show but the newly uploaded ones don't.

This has happened on the last two times I've tried to upload caches.  On the previous occasion I tried various things (including deleting live data) and eventually I got the correct PQ to show (I'm unsure into exactly what combination of things worked...) - it is now this previously loaded one that is now showing on the unit and I can't get rid of it!  WiFi and Bluetooth connections are both off.

If anybody has any insights into why this is happening, and how to fix it, I'd be most grateful!

I think I might have solved the problem (time will tell...).  I was firing up my GPSr by plugging it in to a USB power source rather than switching it on stand-alone - when I tried the latter the correct PQs were showing, so it might need that to clear the old PQ?

I'll see the next time I load a new one if this is the root cause of this issue.

16 hours ago, RecipeForDisaster said:

I do this (on eTrex 20 and GPSMAP 66s) plus, once I've deleted the files and emptied trash with the GPS connected, then ejected the GPSr, I start the GPSr up with no PQs/GPX files in it. Once I see that there are no geocaches on the device, I reconnect to my computer and add the new files. I usually have success this way.

I do the same with my Montana, to force it to recognize it should have no entries in its internal database, and then to force it to build a new database.  The extra steps can be annoying, but it's better than the entire database going toes up when I'm miles from my laptop and out of cell range, which has happened at least once.