would you rather log aTraditional cache or a Earthcache

Clongo_Rongo

44 minutes ago, on4bam said:

Yup. For our NZ holiday we had about 2000 caches loaded, most were "in case of", there were at most 200 on our "really want to do if possible" list, mostly oldies, virtuals, EC's or special locations. All were read up in advance (I start the selection months in advance). For our 3 week holiday in Denmark I had all caches loaded (26000 at that time), we found only 65 and often didn't bother. For an upcoming trip I have about 200 selected, EC's, virtuals, mysteries and multi's are already read, traditionals at special locations too. The rest.. we'll see, it's not a geocaching trip (it never is).

I don't think you need to read listings of "run of the mill" trads.

If I’m organised enough before a trip, I do strip out the questions / requirements for any targeted ECs and Virtuals - I add them to a Word doc, along with overview maps.  (I do still like a printed map to get my bearings.)  At GZ, I can usually scribble down my notes on the printout quicker than entering them into a device.  Just have to make sure I don’t lose my printout before logging!

When I’ve not been organised, I have missed EC / Virtual requirements, and not realised until it was too late. ?

I add a photo to almost all of my EC and Virtual logs - I’d like to think it dispels any suspicion of armchair logging - but never as a replacement for the actual logging requirements.

I’m afraid my geology - and observation - skills are fairly poor, but so far (60ish ECs), I’ve had no issues with logging - a few COs have pointed out my errors, but none have deleted a log.

• Upvote 1

We have an upcoming trip to Sedona, AZ.  I've begun looking at the area NOW, in prep for that trip.  One of the first mystery caches I looked at is highly favorited, and turns out to be the first cache our son and daughter in law found on their honeymoon geocaching odyssey!  So, yeah, that's on our list for sure!  I'll read up on mysteries, multis, EC's, VIrtuals, and we'll pick and choose those we would like to try.

I'll print out a few of the earth caches to make notes on while we are observing, of course take photos (for us, if not for the logs), and we'll pick up a few traditionals as well.n I enjoy doing earth caches, especially in a part of the country I havne't been to before and that seems to have some distinct geological features! 

27 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

We have an upcoming trip to Sedona, AZ.  I've begun looking at the area NOW, in prep for that trip.  One of the first mystery caches I looked at is highly favorited, and turns out to be the first cache our son and daughter in law found on their honeymoon geocaching odyssey!  So, yeah, that's on our list for sure!  I'll read up on mysteries, multis, EC's, VIrtuals, and we'll pick and choose those we would like to try.

I'll print out a few of the earth caches to make notes on while we are observing, of course take photos (for us, if not for the logs), and we'll pick up a few traditionals as well.n I enjoy doing earth caches, especially in a part of the country I havne't been to before and that seems to have some distinct geological features! 

I"m heading to Sedona, Garnd Canyon, Page, and Phoenix as well and I've managed to "narrow" my list down to just over 800 caches for all of the stops, knowing that there's no way I'll have the time to do every cache.  I'd rather have more options rather than limited options, even if it means I'm only going to have time to find 50 on this family trip.  That being said, I'll most likely target the ECs in the area and find the traditional caches if I happen to be hiking by them.  Never having been to Sedona, I'm looking forward to seeing the area (I've seen lots of great pictures) and would love to learn something about the geology responsible for the formations I'll be hiking.

8 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Nobody is forcing you to find 1000 caches per state.  It's okay not to find some of them.

Who said anything about finding 1000 caches per state.  That's the number of pages I'd have to review if I did as on4bam does for the long distant/time trips we've been taking.  Because I/we don't know our exact route thru a state, I have to "cast" a wide net so I hopefully have something to find along the way (one trip had no caches along our route for half of Texas).

6 hours ago, coachstahly said:

I"m heading to Sedona, Garnd Canyon, Page, and Phoenix as well and I've managed to "narrow" my list down to just over 800 caches for all of the stops, knowing that there's no way I'll have the time to do every cache.  I'd rather have more options rather than limited options, even if it means I'm only going to have time to find 50 on this family trip.  That being said, I'll most likely target the ECs in the area and find the traditional caches if I happen to be hiking by them.  Never having been to Sedona, I'm looking forward to seeing the area (I've seen lots of great pictures) and would love to learn something about the geology responsible for the formations I'll be hiking.

Aside:  If your going to be anywhere near Prescott AZ (south and west of Sedona) check out The Raven's hides, in particular GC35BKD The Raven's Labyrinth.

It's all good to read up on a heap of caches you might do, but when you have no set itinerary, and multiple route choices, then it becomes a bit pointless. My recent trip away, 7500km over 3 weeks, 613 finds. The thing was, during the trip, due to weather considerations, our trip home was via a route a thousand or so km to the side of the way we had planned to head home by. 

On 2/26/2019 at 9:28 AM, coachstahly said:

One of the first EC's I ever placed was in Grand Canyon National Park... it was also one of the most lengthy permitting processes I've ever been through to place a cache. Well worth the effort though!

On 2/26/2019 at 12:34 PM, IceColdUK said:

If I’m organised enough before a trip, I do strip out the questions / requirements for any targeted ECs and Virtuals - I add them to a Word doc, along with overview maps.  (I do still like a printed map to get my bearings.)  At GZ, I can usually scribble down my notes on the printout quicker than entering them into a device.  Just have to make sure I don’t lose my printout before logging!

When I’ve not been organised, I have missed EC / Virtual requirements, and not realised until it was too late. ?

I'll read the listings on "run of the mill" traditionals (how does one know if it'll be run of the mill without reading the listing?) if I know that I"m going to very close to GZ.  For example, if I'm staying at a specific hotel somewhere I'll most likely read the cache listings for nearby caches within a short walking distance.  When I was last in Costa Rica there were a couple of traditional caches within 1/2 mile the hotel I was staying in and reading the listings told me that that were almost certainly missing and had been for a long time.    On the other side,  once I had a late arrival in Austin and decided to stay at a hotel near the airport before going the where I would be staying for the next few days.  I had no plans to do any caching near that airport hotel, but looked up the the closest caches anyway.   As it turned out, there was one about 1/3 of a mile from my hotel room and upon reading the cache listing I found that it was at the football field that was used in the Friday Night Lights TV show. 

I've not been organized and missed an EC.  In one case, we had stopped at a fairly well known spot in Maine where we spent a couple of hours.    I didn't even realize that there was an EC at the location until I got home and was logging other caches on the trip.  I had actually met several criteria (but not all) for the EC.  

2 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I'll read the listings on "run of the mill" traditionals (how does one know if it'll be run of the mill without reading the listing?) if I know that I"m going to very close to GZ. 

If traditionals have 0 or very low favorites against high number of logs >> run of the mill... ;)

On holiday I will sometimes go after them because there may be only a few caches or I may almost "step on them". I will not make a (small) detour for a run of the mill traditional if there are enough other caches around.

At home I tag them "do not do" in GSAK so they won't be exported to my GPS even if we go caching in the area.

At least an EC is in an interesting area (most of the time) and worth a detour.

• Upvote 1
On 2/28/2019 at 7:23 AM, on4bam said:

At least an EC is in an interesting area (most of the time) and worth a detour.

+1

An Earthcache will almost always take me to (at a minimum) a place with a great view. Even if I can't gather the requisite answers to complete the EC I at least got a great view out of visiting GZ.

That's more than can be said for a run of the mill traditional.