Premium Membership IS worthwhile!

grimpil

I have just completed my first full year of Geocaching & can only report that it is a great value for money hobby!  Having laid out the princely sum of £24.99 I found 411 caches - that is just 6p per cache.  I already had a GPS for hiking so there was little further expense.  Most of my finds were along routes that I was walking anyway so cannot even count the petrol to get to a start point as an expense.  Hunting for caches has added value to tried & tested walks & also led me to new trails & areas, even very close to home.  I enjoy the hunt & even when I get a DNF there has often been something positive in that it was an interesting location, or a great local view.

There seem to have been fewer topics recently asking if Premium is worth it.  In my view it most definitely is!  But of course it is up to you to make the most of it.  Certainly proved better value than the gym membership I once paid for - that worked out at around £60 per visit!!!  And yes - I have renewed!  Here's to another busy year.

• Upvote 6
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1

I'm glad you find it worthwhile. I too find it worthwhile. My annual geocaching bill comes to at least US $150 (115GBP). That includes a National Parks Pass, two State Park passes, and my Geocaching membership. Most of the local caches are bison tubes hanging in trees, so I don't do very many caches anymore. In years past, I have driven at least 16,000 km, traveling long distances to find very particular caches. (I was working several GeoTours, and completing a Jasmer challenge.)

>>>And whom did you pay these 6p per cache to? The people who hid them for your pleasure to find?<<<

Cache owners are under no obligation to hide caches & even if they do they are under no obligation to add them to a website so that other people can find them.  AFAIK you can submit caches to the website at no cost.  Even basic members who do not subscribe  can use the facility.  My £24.99 is the fee I pay to help make a professional website available to both COs & those who seek to find.  I could elect to find as many or as few caches as suits me & the Premium fee gives the widest choice.  The more I find the less the cost per cache, although even if I had only found ONE at £24.99 it would still have been good value compared to the gym membership!!  And a helluva lot more fun!

I hope my pleasure in finding caches is equalled by the pleasure a CO gets from setting a challenge & receiving kudos & feedback from appreciative cachers.

Send me full details of a cache for me to find, within a few miles of my home or where I intend to holiday this year (Devon, Lake District, Greece) & I will send you 6p when I find it!

I see your net cost over 2 years of free membership has been NIL pence per cache - you deffo got yourself a bargain!

Edited by grimpil
  • Upvote 3
3 hours ago, BillyGee said:

And whom did you pay these 6p per cache to? The people who hid them for your pleasure to find?

Daft!  Just how do you imagine a model to reimburse COs might work?  And how many of your caches would be found if they weren’t listed on this website?  Other websites are, of course, available...

• Upvote 1