downloading a geocache

cash king

5 minutes ago, cash king said:

It has been a while since I downloaded a geocache to my GPS and now it is all different. It now longer says "send to my GPS" and I can't learn how to do it now.. I need help

What model of GPS?

For a newer Garmin, on a cache page you can get one GPX file if you click “Download GPX”, and download it to [drive]:/Garmin/GPX

As a Premium Member, you can get large numbers of caches at once, with Lists and Pocket Queries.

6 hours ago, Kevintee said:

I have a Garmin Etrex Vista HCX.  My download issue is that Garmin Express wants to open and it does not support the Vista.  Do I need to pull the SD card and download directly to it?  Any help is appreciated.

That GPS device does not support paperless caching, so you'd have to go through a few extra steps to get caches saved to your device after downloading the gpx file from the website.  You might try EasyGPS, which I've heard is pretty simple. If you are tech savvy and want to give it a try, there was another cacher that set-up something for his parents to load caches onto their older GPSr's that have the same issue as your Vista.  I'm linking it  HERE, in case you want to check it out.

SD card vs Internal memory is not the issue, so no need to pull the card.

You can make a pocket query out of a list: the option for that is right below Send to Garmin.

Choose a day to run and click OK.

Go to your PQ download page and download the PQ.

PQ's are zipped, in Windows you can right-click on the ZIP file and choose something like Extract files... (I use the Dutch version of Windows, so I'm not sure what it's named in English).

You get two GPX files. One GPX file contains only the caches with description and hints. This one is quite useless for your Vista since it can't use paperless caching, but you can import it anyway if you want.

The other GPX file contains all waypoints and waypoint information. Import this file into BaseCamp.

Each file will be placed in a separate list, so you'll have to merge the two lists.

Last, make sure the list contains less than 500 waypoints (I believe that's the maximum number you Vista can handle) and send the complete list to your Vista.

You can also do it one cache at a time (e.g. download directly from the map). Each cache gets its own list when you import them into BaseCamp.

15 hours ago, StefandD said:

The other GPX file contains all waypoints and waypoint information. Import this file into BaseCamp.

Each file will be placed in a separate list, so you'll have to merge the two lists.

It's not necessary to have separate lists in Basecamp and merge them. My work flow is to create the empty Basecamp list first. Then select File/Import. Navigate to the folder where I unzipped the PQ. Hold the shift key and select both the geocaches and waypoints GPX files. Basecamp will import both files into the same list in that one step.